Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,571,713 times

Advertisements

Maybe a hint is necessary. The sculpture in Texas is no longer in existence, as are about a dozen of the ones in other states. Most of them about about 20-30 feet tall, in publicly visible places,are well-known attractions in their locality, and are on the theme of American Indians.

The one in Texas simply "vanished". It was 30-feet tall, and nobody knows where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 01:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Assuming that my answer was correct, here is another one about a sculptor:

Another immigrant sculptor created one large, conspicuous statue in every state in the union and province in Canada.
Who was he,
where was he from,
what is the unifying subject of all of his series of sculptures, and
where is the one in Texas?
Peter Wolf Toth
Born near Budapest, Hungary
The carved wooden heads represent Native American's indiginous to each state.
There isn't one in Texas.

Reference: http://magyarnews.org/news.php?viewStory=365

Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm sure that is correct so I will ask the next question.

It is Two parts, don't attempt to answer the question unless you can answer all parts of it.

1. What is the most reproduced building in Texas (excluding food chains).

2. Name at least 5 replicas and where they are located (I know of about 20).

Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Peter Wolf Toth
Born near Budapest, Hungary
The carved wooden heads represent Native American's indiginous to each state.
There isn't one in Texas.

Reference: Peter Wolf Toth: Sculptures Honor Native Americans on Magyar News Online
I was looking for the location of one he created in Texas, which stood as a landmark for a long time, but has vanished. There apparently is one in Texas, but perhaps in storage, and nobody knows where it is now, but its original display location was known.

-----------

On your question, does "excluding food chains" also exclude Super WalMart and Valero Station and Discount Tire stores?

There must be thousands of these:
http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.c...mpaign=product

I have a Wells Fargo ATM location near my house, I bet there are hundreds of those all the same, and they are site-built structures.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-28-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I was looking for the location of one he created in Texas, which stood as a landmark for a long time, but has vanished. There apparently is one in Texas, but perhaps in storage, and nobody knows where it is now, but its original display location was known.

-----------

On your question, does "excluding food chains" also exclude Super WalMart and Valero Station and Discount Tire stores?

There must be thousands of these:
Hillcrest Lifetime Sheds - 6415 11 X 13.5 Foot Outdoor Storage Shed

I have a Wells Fargo ATM location near my house, I bet there are hundreds of those all the same, and they are site-built structures.
The sculpture was at the I-30 Welcome Center in Texarkana.

Yes, all chains such as these are excluded.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-28-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM

I'm also thinking of the maintenance buildings at utilities, such as electrical power substations. There must be a lot of duplicated buildings of that type.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Hint: It is not a contemporary building. It is one that almost everyone would recognize.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,258,013 times
Is it the Alamo? If it is, I can name five replicas in Texas alone.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,101,133 times
Quote:
Pompeo Coppini, from Italy. He lived in San Antonio. His protegee, Miss Waldine Tauch, from Schulenberg, is perhaps an even more fascinating Texan.
Good for you! I haven't checked back into this thread for a day or more - sorry for that. Waldine was never given credit for all the work she did on Coppini's sculptures and she never achieved the level of competence on her own that came naturally to Coppini, it seems. After the death of Coppini (and his wife), Waldine continued to live in the studio / home on Melrose Place in Alamo Hgts (San Antonio) where she was living when she died.

PS Thought I'd toss this into the SCULPTOR pot. Many people don't realize that the sculptor responsible for Mt. Rushmore had a studio in San Antonio - at the same time that Coppini was active there. Gutzon Borglum's studio was still in use as an architect's office / studio when I lived in S.A. in the early 1990s.

Also:
Quote:
It is Two parts, don't attempt to answer the question unless you can answer all parts of it.

1. What is the most reproduced building in Texas (excluding food chains).

2. Name at least 5 replicas and where they are located (I know of about 20).
I don't know the answer to this, but my GUESS is the State Capitol, and locations of replicas would likely be county courthouses around the state.

Last edited by joqua; 05-29-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,139,336 times
I'm going to guess it's the oil derrick.

Here's a bit of a trivia question I don't have an answer to:

In the Louisiana Purchase, the U.S. gained lands including the Oklahoma panhandle, parts of modern-day Texas and New Mexico, yet these same lands became part of the Texas Annexation (see the blue dotted portion of this map).

How did these blue dotted lands become part of the Republic of Texas in the first place, if they belonged to the United States prior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas