Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times

Advertisements

Held each year since the mid to late 70's, on a cold weekend around Valentine's day, this event regularly attracts folks from as far away as Pennsylvania. Music, food, dancing, camp fires, and of course.... drinking. Held in a famous locale somewhere close to the heart of Texas....

What is the name of event?

Extra kudos if you can lay out some history of the place, and the event.

An extra friendly pat of the back if you can manage to dig up the rather obscure name of the guy that occasionally is associated with it, as in "The xxth Annual (insert name) Memorial (insert event)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
An extra friendly pat of the back if you can manage to dig up the rather obscure name of the guy that occasionally is associated with it, as in "The xxth Annual (insert name) Memorial (insert event)"
34th Annual George Paul Memorial Bull Riding event in Del Rio, TX?

If this is correct, then the web site gives the details and history of the event, named in honor of the late George Paul, the 1968 Rodeo Cowboy’s Assn. World Champion Bull Rider and the only man to ride 79 consecutive bulls in competition. George Paul was killed in a plane crash in 1970 in Wyoming.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Cool answer! I learned something new with this one, but that is not the one I was looking for. Guess I was too vague.

Additional clues:

Everybody is somebody.

Once a month or so, you can read the moon.

I will give the answer up after these clues, I might be too busy over the next several days to get back on and take care of business here. Someone else deserves the floor.

Now, I am heading over to the bullriding website to learn some more!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 PM

Alrighty, I have hogged the floor long enough.

Each year, the weekend closest to Valentine's Day, a "Hug-In" is held at Luckenbach Texas. Saturday night is the night for the "Valentine's Ball", featuring live music in the on premises dance hall. Folks regularly come from as far away as Pennsylvania to enjoy the campfires, cooking, primitive camping, partying, and of course.... hugging.

Originally started in the mid 70's, the thing morphed into yet another regular excuse for the "original chiliheads" to get together and do what they have always done.

At times it has been billed as the "Annual Troy King Memorial Hug-In", with Troy being one of the old time original chili crowd, who passed on about 20 years after the Hug In started up.

When this thing started up, it was the same folks who were doing the Terlingua chili cook-off, so one of the early rules of cooking in camp at the Hug In, was....

no chili...

I will yield the floor to whoever wants to put a better trivia question up. Thanks for the time!!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
(please ignore if this has been asked before)

On March 23, 1945 (before dawn) a Texas town suffered an aerial bombardment from Japan. A ballon bomb fell in the local school yard leaving a large hole.

Another balloon bomb fell in a pasture near Desdemona. But, what town actually received the direct hit to it's school yard?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
(please ignore if this has been asked before)

On March 23, 1945 (before dawn) a Texas town suffered an aerial bombardment from Japan. A ballon bomb fell in the local school yard leaving a large hole.

Another balloon bomb fell in a pasture near Desdemona. But, what town actually received the direct hit to it's school yard?
I suppose there are various stories with varied information on the actual events - after all these years.

Here is but one article about the Texas incidents. Woodson and Desdemona were the two towns nearest these incidents. But neither one includes a school yard or a hole in the ground or any indication the devices exploded.

http://www.texasalmanac.com/topics/history/bombing-texas

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I suppose there are various stories with varied information on the actual events - after all these years.

Here is but one article about the Texas incidents. Woodson and Desdemona were the two towns nearest these incidents. But neither one includes a school yard or a hole in the ground or any indication the devices exploded.

http://www.texasalmanac.com/topics/history/bombing-texas

It appears that you have answered the question as accurately as anyone can. Why don't you go ahead and ask the next question.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It appears that you have answered the question as accurately as anyone can. Why don't you go ahead and ask the next question.
I was thinking about the "Annual Event" question and one of the possible answers I could have given would have been to name another event that is annual to a central Texas location. But it's not in the early spring, and it's much older than the Luckenbach affair.

Hint: This year was the 115th annual event.

The activities include:
Quote:
[SIZE=2]Everyone is welcome to come and join us for family fun and entertainment. Throughout the eight days you can enjoy, music, dancing, camping, swimming, food, a carnival, bingo, games, washer pitching, and plenty of time to catch up with friends and family.[/SIZE]
Another hint: The campground is just across the road from a famous central Texas BBQ restaurant.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
(Woodson is correct, sorry for the delay).

Woodson, TX - Town Bombed by the Japanese

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I was thinking about the "Annual Event" question and one of the possible answers I could have given would have been to name another event that is annual to a central Texas location. But it's not in the early spring, and it's much older than the Luckenbach affair.

Hint: This year was the 115th annual event.

The activities include:

[SIZE=2]Everyone is welcome to come and join us for family fun and entertainment. Throughout the eight days you can enjoy, music, dancing, camping, swimming, food, a carnival, bingo, games, washer pitching, and plenty of time to catch up with friends and family.[/SIZE]

Another hint: The campground is just across the road from a famous central Texas BBQ restaurant.

I'll bet that you are talking about the Camp Ben McCullouch Reunion, just across the road from the Salt Lick BBQ place. http://www.campben.com/Home_Page.php

Quote:
[SIZE=2]http://www.campben.com/History.php
Camp Ben McCulloch was organized in the summer of 1896 at Driftwood Texas. The organized membership probably numbered seventeen. Beginning about 1930 it was the largest United Confederate Veterans Camp in the South. The first meeting was held at the “ Martin Spring ” near Driftwood on property belonging to Joe Rogers, a Confederate veteran and the date was set each year according to the full moon and between cotton chopping and cotton harvesting time.[/SIZE]

Since its organization, Camp Ben McCulloch has staged at least three day attractive programs at each annual reunion and has invited the world to attend and the attendance has reached as high as six thousand in one year.
The annual reunions are held on the forty acre site on Onion Creek near Driftwood,Texas, twenty miles southwest of downtown Austin . The camp has electricity, running water and a splendid natural swimming pool. Some of the finest oak trees anywhere are found on the Camp Ben McCulloch grounds.
That 115th Reunion was held in June this year. There is also an Old Settler's Music Festival planned for next April at Camp Ben McCulloch. I was thinking they were the same event but after reading more about it, it appears to be a separate event. http://oldsettlersmusicfest.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas