Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM

91 posts, read 152,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There you go! THAT's a personal attack! See the difference?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM

26 posts, read 75,767 times
I-35W between Fort Worth and Hillsboro there's a tiny town called Itasca. Be very careful driving that stretch of highway especially at night. They have a great revenue-generating business there. When you get the ticket you also get a FAQ sheet with all the instructions for every option (defensive driving, deferred adjudication, etc.).

Old 04-06-2011, 12:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
So, ameiurus, were you speeding when you got the ticket?

The few occasions that I've gotten a ticket of any kind, anywhere, I've gotten that same kind of sheet (once options became available, it used to be, pay the fine or fight it in court, period). Sometimes, it's actually printed on the back of the ticket, which is handy.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I just try to 'go with the flow' concerning speed, unless the speed is ridiculously fast or slow.

And as far as driving fast is concerned, even if one is a very good driver at high speed, some other people aren't (at any speed!). Especially if you're a motorcyclist as I am, that really matters!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
desertsun41, it matters not. If the speed limit is set, whether you agree with it or not (there are procedures to go through to try to get the speed limit changed if you feel that it is inappropriate), if you get a ticket because you were violating it, that's not a trap. That's the predictable consequences of your own actions, so quitcher whinin'!

And anyone who thinks that because they don't like the laws, therefore they shouldn't apply to them is, by definition, a bad driver and shouldn't have a license or be allowed to drive a car (which would solve the whole problem of them getting a speeding ticket right there), not to mention being possessed of an overweening sense of entitlement.
You and I have not agreed on one single damn issue since Feb of 2008 except for your hobby and name. Once again you are wrong though. Laws, rules, bylaws, do this don't do that...for Gods sake man when does it all end? Apparently you like to be told what to do, when to do it and how to do it. People in North Korea and Cuba are quite used to this and America is rather quickly heading in this direction.

If your (not mine) govt put speed limits on your trail rides and told you how to sit and not to sit, how to stick your foot in the stirup, how to grab the horn, what size cantle depending on the size of ones azz you must use....bla bla......would you just bend over and comply or get angry? That is how us peasants are beginning to feel with some of the most stupid laws man can dream up for the sole purpose of extorting our hard earned money from us.

Just because some one drives fast does not make them a bad driver. A fast driver can become reckless for sure. But if the artificially limit is 50, at what speed does a good driver become bad? 51, 54. 56?

How about when we are doing dead nuts on their limit and then start to pick up a few MPH going down hill and low and behold an oink oink just so happens to be coincidentally be hiding at the bottom like a Cat in heat to trounce their prey? Is that right? Is it wrong? Is it fair? Is it greed? If you reach down into your equestrian soul I am confident you will find whatever answer you choose, the bottom line is it's all about a money grab and nothing to do with protecting the public.

Girl...I am not alone in my reasoning, just one of a few with balls enough to speak out and those who think they disagree be damned.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Perhaps you have been out in the desert sun to long.

Speed limits are a good thing because there are too many speed demons out there who would drive insanely fast putting all of our lives at risk if there were no speed limits or speeding law enforcement. I'm glad they are out there arresting people like yourself who think they have some god given right to endanger everyone else. I'm more then happy to have law enforcement out there issuing speeding tickets to people like you. The fines help keep our property taxes lower. Thank you for supporting our local government.

Do you even know the definition of communist? I ask because it makes absolutely no sense in the way you are using it.

I don't think the speed limits are too low, I think they are just fine. Just because numerous people will drive faster when they think they can get away with it doesn't make it safe. How do you figure that you are an "innocent citizen" if you are breaking the law? Driving is a privilege, you are not born with an inalienable right to drive. Why do you think they require you to have a license to drive?

We bought the road and we, the majority of us, expect you to share it with us in a reasonable and safe manner. We want to arrive home alive, not die in a flaming car crash because some irresponsible idiot wants to drive faster. Speeding results in accidents, accident hurt people, if you repeatedly speed you should loose your license. You are obviously a bad driver, your lack of concern for the safety of others make you one, I hope you get locked up before you kill someone.

If I called you a typical Sheep would you be offended? Does it sound like I'm insulting you? Well I'm not. But those who bow down to bad rules and bad laws and just follow the leader show a weakness. Don't get me wrong....yes indeed those who race around with no regard for all of our safety has no business sharing the road with you and I. But I stop to wonder when the last time I ever saw anyone speeding. Oh yea people exceed the artificially low limits all the time. Are they criminals? Endangering others? Nope.

What is speeding. For the sake of these unfair laws, anything over the posted sign is speeding. If it's such a crime then why don't they rape everyone who does 1 over. At 2 they should be thrown in jail. Oops you mean there is a fluff margin there? They let us go about 7 over before they rape us? Funny thing. Those who rob a bank, it didn't matter how much they stole, they get the same punishment. Those who murder, there is no fluff, ya freaking killed some one and your being punished. Ahh what's the use.

And if really speeding well over the limit is such a crime, running stop signs, never using a blinker, stealing, lying, begging the poor Mcdonalds clerk for free breakfast and disobeying every damn ordinance is a crime then why are not all the cops and politicians in jail???

Old 04-09-2011, 11:22 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
"I ask, when was the last time in American history when a cop or politician got a speeding ticket?"

Well, a few months ago, my friends husband got a ticket in Hutto on his way home from work for a "hollywood" stop at 4am. He's an APD officer and was in uniform at the time he got the ticket.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM

"Speed limits are for revenue generation, not safety."

I used to think this too, when I was a mere youngster, just learning to drive. My husband is a truck driver and to hear some of the gruesome stories he comes back with certainly paint a different picture.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"I ask, when was the last time in American history when a cop or politician got a speeding ticket?"

Well, a few months ago, my friends husband got a ticket in Hutto on his way home from work for a "hollywood" stop at 4am. He's an APD officer and was in uniform at the time he got the ticket.
I tend to not believe you but lets say you speak truth. Would you be so kind to follow up on this accidental incident and let us know how and why he escaped the charges? And you know he will don't you? I'd bet the whole farm he beats it. In fact I bet he never sees the inside of a courtroom because his boss/Sargent will squash the summons.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 AM

You may be a great fast driver and can drive in any situation in any condition and by the luck of the draw not have killed anyone. What if you're a great driver, going 80 or faster down a freeway, darting in and out of traffic because, darn it, everyone else is too scared or a bad driver to go as fast as you...and up ahead traffic looks to be slowing down or is going too slow and you are coming up behind someone (this is going up a hill) and you pass very quickly into the next lane, dart back over in front of the slow car and run yourself smack into the back of stopped traffic. My husband got to watch someone on a motorcyle do this. The guy was darting in and out of traffic (husband has a high point of view) somewhere behind him and ran right under a flatbed and ended up decapitated. I'm pretty sure he was confident that he was a great fast driver, but now he's dead.

Or the other guy he tells about...a coworkers story...about driving at night down a dark country 2 lane road. He sees a guy coming up fast behind him, but this person who doesn't believe in speed limits, and probably is very confident of his speeding prowess doesn't see that there is another car coming in the other lane (around a curve), goes to pass the truck and hits this oncoming small truck head on without anyone having hit their brakes either. The truck driver gets out to see if anyones alive....has his doubts because the vehicles are pretty much decimated and goes to the small truck first, slowly because he's scared of what he'll see, and what he sees sends him to seek professional help because it just horrified him so badly....a father and teenage son (he finds out later), father is obviously dead with a steering wheel through his chest and lots of blood and the teenager, stunningly still alive at the time, with his leg nearly behind him in an unnatural angle and screaming in agony and fear, I'm sure. He checked on the moron who caused the accident, and as most victims families would hate to hear, is beat up bad, but not dead. Cops get there and find the guy was stinkin drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas