Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm' View Post
My Dad and and a few other family memebers live in Waco. My Dad is from the area and movd back about 10 years ago. My brother went to Baylor so I have seen the city a "few times" over the years. The city, I do not like at all, sorry! There are a couple of subs that are nice, Woodway, the hills ove at the lake, but the city itself is just not my taste. What is it... not really sure.

As for the media calling in "Waco" and not "MCLENNAN COUNTY"...Waco is a lager City in Texas people would come closer to knowing where Waco was/is than a county in Texas. They have to give a focal point.

So if you like the city great enjoy it, for those of us who don't... I will just keep visiting and coming back home!

There are nice areas in Waco?! In Waco?! LMAO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Just to give you an idea of how right wing Waco is...
You are very clearly demonstrating a lack of knowledge regarding Waco. Waco is hardly "right-wing." It may be conservative-ish compared to the rest of the country (as most of the south is), but it is (in general) a more blue-collar city that tends to vote democrat. There is a WIDE gap between Baylor and Waco residents--and an unfortunate resentment that usually is beneath the surface but sometimes not so. Privileged white private school kids turn their noses up at Wacoans and the Joe six-pack residents think the kids are snobs (yes I'm stereotyping both groups but this is accurate in general).

As a result, the city of Waco is hardly a rah-rah follower of everything Baylor. If you want a college town, consider College Station, where A&M's enrollment is almost as large as the city itself, and EVERYTHING is decked out in maroon.

Please do your homework before making sweeping generalizations that are obviously inaccurate to anyone who has spent time in Waco.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,899 times
Default Ted...

You should have seen his reality show...can't remember the name of it, but he had the Secret Service agents from GWB's ranch come over and absolutely destroy the contestants in paintball. DAYUM!

The players were in white jumpsuits and I think they finally had to decide the winner by counting the number of splats. I honestly don't know how they were able to count. Those suits were COVERED!

Good shooting guys. Bet George sleeps well knowing you've got his back...front...sides....etc.

See you on the high ground.

MajorDad1984

Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
"You are very clearly demonstrating a lack of knowledge regarding Waco. Waco is hardly "right-wing." It may be conservative-ish compared to the rest of the country (as most of the south is), but it is (in general) a more blue-collar city that tends to vote democrat. "

Projection! Yet another right wing trait. Blame your faults on others.

2004 Election Texas total....Bush 62% Kerry 36%... Waco's county.... Bush 67% Kerry 32%

2006 Election Texas Senate total..... Hutchison 62% Dem Challenger 36%

Waco's County..... Hutchison 67% Dem challenger 32%

So Waco on average IS more conservative than Texas and votes for GOPers in greater percentages than the state average.

They do have a Dem representative in Chet Edwards but he is probably one of the most conservative Dems in Congress and sides with the GOP more often than not.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-17-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
"You are very clearly demonstrating a lack of knowledge regarding Waco. Waco is hardly "right-wing." It may be conservative-ish compared to the rest of the country (as most of the south is), but it is (in general) a more blue-collar city that tends to vote democrat. "

2004 Election Texas total....Bush 62% Kerry 36%... Waco's county.... Bush 67% Kerry 32%

So Waco on average IS more conservative than Texas and votes for GOPers in greater percentages than the state average.

They do have a Dem representative in Chet Edwards but he is probably one of the most conservative Dems in Congress and sides with the GOP more often than not.
I don't go by that crap,when only less than 5% of the population actually votes in a election.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
Quote:

Not sure what "faults" I'm blaming on other people, but I guess that's just my "right-wing" ignorance showing through. (I don't remember mentioning my political affiliation so far in this discussion. I guess merely saying that I pretty strongly don't agree with your assessment makes me a right-winger.)

So Bush got 5% more of the vote than Kerry. Almost statistically insignificant. And TX is Bush's home state. And McLennan county includes some outlying areas that are NOT Waco (although you can make a case that it's splitting hairs if we're talking about suburbs, I guess).

In the Texas senate I see a Republican Senator representing Waco's district, and in the House I see 1 R and 1 D. Don't know the vote totals, don't know the district boundaries (although with TX redistricting gerrymandering they might be interesting indeed).

Based on my personal experience of living in Waco, and statistics that so far haven't exactly been overwhelmingly pointing in one direction, I'd suggest you reserve the term "right wing" for something like the states of Utah or Wyoming in which Bush carried something like 85+% of the vote.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Chet Edward conservative? He's a crook from what I understand from someone who knows.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:47 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
I was born in Waco in 1962, as were a good number of my relatives dating back to the civil war and beyond a ways..well born out in the country areas ie, China Spring , Speegleville, and Crawford . I just HATE it , I left for good in 1989 but had been away several times for short periods before that .

I ALWAYS had a problem with the people being very small minded and as a kid fighting with a weight problem , I can tell you most of the kids were just brutal , once at school a group of kids tore off my pants (they had already been ripped a little ) to see "what a fat girl looked like " the teachers just laughed and verbally told them to leave me alone , but they didnt of course.

I finally developed an eating disorder due to these A%^holes constant crap through the years ,,EVERYWHERE ,, my family is old there and I had to deal with very brutal kids at Hillcrest , St. Albans , Vanguard, Ridgewood, Fishpond etc .Richfield was a relief ..there were kids at that school from the fancy a$$ side of town as well as deep east Waco ...,,, when I weighed 110 and starving as a young adult , several of these same people approached me at different places , wanting to be friends or even asking for a date !

I ended up as a bikers girl and live that lifestyle still today , so then even if I werent over weight ,, then I was a sl*t , so you ,,at least I .... just couldnt win with them

To this day , I have lasting problems from this , I hate those people and it became a hate for the town , and no it has nothing to do either in that town regardless of the people .

I lived in Europe for a good while and am married to a european but when I am here I live in Port Aransas or Corpus and I tell people I was born here ( Corpus ) . Period

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 03-28-2008 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I was born in Waco in 1962, as were a good number of my relatives dating back to the civil war and beyond a ways..well born out in the country areas ie, China Spring , Speegleville, and Crawford . I just HATE it , I left for good in 1989 but had been away several times for short periods before that .

I ALWAYS had a problem with the people being very small minded and as a kid fighting with a weight problem , I can tell you most of the kids were just brutal , once at school a group of kids tore off my pants (they had already been ripped a little ) to see "what a fat girl looked like " the teachers just laughed and verbally told them to leave me alone , but they didnt of course.

I finally developed an eating disorder due to these A%^holes constant crap through the years ,,EVERYWHERE ,, my family is old there and I had to deal with very brutal kids at Hillcrest , St. Albans , Vanguard, Ridgewood, Fishpond etc .Richfield was a relief ..there were kids at that school from the fancy a$$ side of town as well as deep east Waco ...,,, when I weighed 110 and starving as a young adult , several of these same people approached me at different places , wanting to be friends or even asking for a date !

I ended up as a bikers girl and live that lifestyle still today , so then even if I werent over weight ,, then I was a sl*t , so you ,,at least I .... just couldnt win with them

To this day , I have lasting problems from this , I hate those people and it became a hate for the town , and no it has nothing to do either in that town regardless of the people .

I lived in Europe for a good while and am married to a european but when I am here I live in Port Aransas or Corpus and I tell people I was born here ( Corpus ) . Period
That's really terrible what happened to you,but your problems with the city or more personal and not actually related to Waco. The schools are very strict and if something like that were to happen today; those kids would probably be put in alternative school/expelled/or even juvenile!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
There are nice areas in Waco?! In Waco?! LMAO.
They said that 10-15 years ago about Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas