U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 AM

269 posts, read 740,275 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

Texas Speed Limit Raised: Is it Safe? (http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/texas-speed-limit-raised-is-it-safe-24835691 - broken link)

I for one welcome this seeing as I normally do close to this speed anyway
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 AM

13,715 posts, read 20,438,730 times
If I didn't have to worry about law enforcement on my ass, my typical cruising speed on a rural Interstate highway with light to moderate traffic would be between 85 and 90. If I let gravity rest my foot on the accelerator in my truck, the needle tickles the top of the '9' on my speedometer.

Going less than 80 on a rural Interstate makes me feel like I'm not getting anywhere, especially during the day, yet I don't feel the need to drive any faster than 90 either. Believe it or not, people have their own personal speed limits, and once you reach a certain speed, most people aren't going to deliberately drive 10 miles per hour over the limit.

Of course there needs to be lower speed limits in the city, but I think that making them adjustable depending on the time of day would be good. As an example, they could be set to 65 or 70 from 5AM to 9PM, and then 75 from 9PM to 5AM because the traffic is lighter.

Texas: the anti-Virginia.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 AM

269 posts, read 740,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If I didn't have to worry about law enforcement on my ass, my typical cruising speed on a rural Interstate highway with light to moderate traffic would be between 85 and 90. If I let gravity rest my foot on the accelerator in my truck, the needle tickles the top of the '9' on my speedometer.

Going less than 80 on a rural Interstate makes me feel like I'm not getting anywhere, especially during the day, yet I don't feel the need to drive any faster than 90 either. Believe it or not, people have their own personal speed limits, and once you reach a certain speed, most people aren't going to deliberately drive 10 miles per hour over the limit.

Of course there needs to be lower speed limits in the city, but I think that making them adjustable depending on the time of day would be good. As an example, they could be set to 65 or 70 from 5AM to 9PM, and then 75 from 9PM to 5AM because the traffic is lighter.

Texas: the anti-Virginia.
Virginia...the state for lovers and those who don't mind paying up to $3000.00 for a speeding ticket?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 AM

38,705 posts, read 96,345,695 times
While I welcome higher legal speeds on lightly traveled interstates, there really needs to be a concomitant higher expectation of competence from licenced drivers to go along with it. Until they stop handing out licenses to anyone who walks upright and has a sawbuck, we begin courting disaster at some point.

Furthermore, we also need to expect much better road construction and maintenance. If the state is going to consider raising speed limits to 85 and essentially condoning 90mph, it needs to make a commitment to motoring public that it will diligently maintain the highways in such condition as to be conducive those speeds. The state simply can't tell the motoring public, "here, go ahead and do the de facto speed limit of 90mph on this strip of bomb craters, and we promise not to bill your family when we have to scrape you off of the pavement with a work shovel."

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 AM

9,221 posts, read 14,941,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
While I welcome higher legal speeds on lightly traveled interstates, there really needs to be a concomitant higher expectation of competence from licenced drivers to go along with it. Until they stop handing out licenses to anyone who walks upright and has a sawbuck, we begin courting disaster at some point.

Furthermore, we also need to expect much better road construction and maintenance. If the state is going to consider raising speed limits to 85 and essentially condoning 90mph, it needs to make a commitment to motoring public that it will diligently maintain the highways in such condition as to be conducive those speeds. The state simply can't tell the motoring public, "here, go ahead and do the de facto speed limit of 90mph on this strip of bomb craters, and we promise not to bill your family when we have to scrape you off of the pavement with a work shovel."
That's because people in America don't know how to drive. Speed really isn't the problem. You can look at Germany and see that. It's driving slow in the left lane that is the biggest problem.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM

20,887 posts, read 41,638,387 times
Driving slow in the left lane is not the biggest problem, unless the person driving "slow" in the left lane is driving below the speed limit. If the person in the left lane is driving the speed limit, then the problem is the person who thinks that "slower traffic keep right" means that the speed limit doesn't exist in the left lane. These are usually the people who fall into the category of people who shouldn't have a driver's license because they can't comprehend the basic rules of the road beyond thinking that the rule of the road is "pedal to the metal!" Truly professional drivers, the ones who get paid for racing cars and motorcycles and who go out to the Bonneville Salt Flats to attempt to break the land speed record, tend to drive very conservatively on the public roadways. But they've already proved whatever it is that people think they're proving by driving fast by testing themselves against other professionals, not the general public.

I think that an 85 mph speed limit is quite appropriate in areas such as West Texas where you can see other vehicles 100 miles before you get to them. Anywhere else in the state, not so much.

Problem is, those people mentioned above, if given an 85 mph speed limit, will assume that that means that 105 is now appropriate in the left lane. So long, flat, stretches of road? Perfect for them. Anywhere that they're likely to encounter anyone else? Not good.

Gnutella? Try enjoying the journey as much as the destination. Then you won't have to worry about not feeling like you're getting anywhere if you're not going hell bent for leather all the time.

Yes, I speed sometimes. But I don't try to make a virtue of it; I know better.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM

78 posts, read 233,758 times
Texas should have their own roads where you can go any desired speeds, like the Autobahn. But, they should be toll (If you want to go as fast as you want, why not pay a little extra if it takes you to the same place as a regular highway), and only vehicles that meet a special requirement can be let on, say with special inspection stickers, showing that both the vehicle and driver are fit to handle such speeds. Speeding doesn't kill people, idiots kill people.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 14,941,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Driving slow in the left lane is not the biggest problem, unless the person driving "slow" in the left lane is driving below the speed limit. If the person in the left lane is driving the speed limit, then the problem is the person who thinks that "slower traffic keep right" means that the speed limit doesn't exist in the left lane. These are usually the people who fall into the category of people who shouldn't have a driver's license because they can't comprehend the basic rules of the road beyond thinking that the rule of the road is "pedal to the metal!" Truly professional drivers, the ones who get paid for racing cars and motorcycles and who go out to the Bonneville Salt Flats to attempt to break the land speed record, tend to drive very conservatively on the public roadways. But they've already proved whatever it is that people think they're proving by driving fast by testing themselves against other professionals, not the general public.
Umm....NO! There is a reason why there are signs that say "the left lane is for passing only". One should not drive the speed limit in the left lane, unless there is a left exit coming up or something. Otherwise, get over. Where did you learn how to drive? They teach this in driver's ed. You are never suppose to drive the speed limit in the left lane. That's what causes pile ups, as drivers have to merge over to the right in order to pass you. If you want to drive the speed limit, stay in the right lane, or the middle travel lanes, but never the far left lane. Those "professional drivers" you speak of will tell you this. Go watch how the Germans and Europeans drive. They understand the left lane/passing rules. Seems to me that we still don't here.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Driving slow in the left lane is not the biggest problem, unless the person driving "slow" in the left lane is driving below the speed limit.
Not quite true. People in the left lane become problems when they're not making an effort to pass anybody. This not only includes being entirely oblivious to their surroundings, but also "cruise-control passing," which is what happens when somebody's cruise control is set one mile per hour faster than the vehicle(s) next to them in the right lane, so it takes them five minutes to clear one car because they don't bother to accelerate, even temporarily, in order to make the pass.

I shouldn't feel like Barry Sanders trying to find a hole in the offensive line when driving on an Interstate with moderate traffic. If you want to drive 65, stay to the right, and if you approach a slower car, please accelerate to 70+ when passing, and then you can slow right back down once you've passed them and moved back over into the right lane. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
If you want to drive the speed limit, stay in the right lane, or the middle travel lanes, but never the far left lane.
If it's a six-lane highway, then those people don't even belong in the middle lane. People who dawdle along in the middle lane create a rolling bottleneck on both sides of themselves, which jams up traffic in all three lanes.

Plain and simple, if there is at least one lane to you're right and you're not passing anybody, move over until there are no lanes to your right, regardless of how fast you're driving. Even when I drive over 80 miles per hour, I'm in the right lane until I close in on somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: