Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,880,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Sure it's not all his fault, but if he had nothing to do with it why were other lawmakers petitioning him on locations right before it was decided?

Are you sure? What's the next manned spacecraft to be developed?

With all of the other recent events, nothing is a given anymore. Especially if nothing changes in 2012.
You really think Obama was worried about the space shuttles, or the budget and possible close down of the government?

Quote:
For Texas' elected officials, that, at least, is a good thing.

"When President Obama announced his vision for NASA a year ago, I thought it could be the end of America's pre-eminence in space and certainly a devastating blow to the JSC workforce," said Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas. "But we have made a very strong comeback and we are right now in the center of everything."
Tucked into the 459-page legislation are some short-term benefits to JSC.

The compromise provides $1.2 billion to continue work on the Houston-based Orion crew capsule program, protecting 600 area jobs. The $5.5 billion for space operations helps sustain JSC's round-the-clock management of the space station and provide mission control for the additional shuttle flight this summer mandated by Congress. Another $3.1 billion for so-called cross-agency support protects 825 JSC-related jobs. "We are committed to living within our means in these tough fiscal times — and we are committed to carrying out our ambitious new plans for exploration and discovery," said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden.

NASA and JSC have "lost some momentum because of all the budget battles," cautions U.S. Rep. Gene Green, D-Houston.

But the deal worked out between the White House and Congress "gets us past cancellation of Constellation and puts an emphasis on manned space travel" in the tougher budget environment that lies ahead. But the short-term gains mask long-range challenges. "My biggest concern remains a continued lack of leadership and no clear mission for NASA," says Rep. Pete Olson, R-Sugar Land, whose congressional district includes JSC.

"It's encouraging that NASA will have funding for the next-generation heavy-lift vehicle to get us out of low-Earth orbit. But clearly work remains in securing the long-term mission for NASA and the means to achieve it."
Budget woes bring NASA back to Earth | Chronicle | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM

514 posts, read 762,398 times
Question maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I think this may be a reason too. While I stated in the other thread that we (as a city and state) need to do a system check on our pride (we do), I do believe that Houston was snubbed for many reasons. The highlighted above may play into the attitude regarding Texas (and Houston) in Washington.

People on this board who's response has been not to blame Washington, but ourselves and our local leadership, may not remember that President Obama, during his campaign, hardly made stops to/thru Texas. I think whatever disregard there is, was already there before taking office. Before any talk of seceding and other things from our governor.

While others here try to make it seem that people are 'bellyaching' or 'whining', because of this whole incident, for the most part, Texans have not been outspoken much on other issues. This is something that legitmately many Texans feel should not have been something that we had to bid for, read beg) or present a proposal.

At any rate, we just have to move on......

It appears that Texas took it for granted and that's understandable. I also that NYC gives many more millions of folks to see it. BUT, Houston should have gotten one.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,390,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Get some class. We have an outstanding air and space museum near where I live (with the Spruce Goose, among other things). We applied like everyone else. The graciousness of the museum staff upon receiving word that we would not receive a shuttle (but would receive some other NASA artifacts) was outstanding and made me quite proud of our community.

All I hear from Texas is a bunch of whining. I thought you all were above that.
Especially since the Evergreen Museum even purposely built an entire new building just to house a Shuttle. They were one of the first to put in a bid for one, doing so officially and unofficially years before the process was even started.

I should mention that I visited Mission Control, saw the Saturn 5, and did the entire Houston Space Museum thing less then a month ago - and my first thought was "Where do they think they're actually going to put the thing?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas