Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

I might be putting together a road trip in June that involves a leg between San Antonio and Amarillo. My projected path would be I-10 west to Sonora, U.S. 277 north to San Angelo, and U.S. 87 and I-27 to Amarillo via Lubbock. According to my calculations, that'd be just over 500 miles. My questions are these:

1. Would I be driving on any part of I-10 with a speed limit of 80?

2. What is the speed limit on U.S. 277 between Sonora and San Angelo, and U.S. 87 between San Angelo and Lubbock?

3. How much "tolerance," if any, do police give motorists in Texas?

4. Is the frame of the NTS Building in Lubbock still distorted?

5. Is there any superlative scenery anywhere along the route, like deserts, cacti, steppes, expansive flat plains to the horizon, escarpments, etc.?*

(*: I know it might be nothing special to a lot of you, but living my whole life in the eastern United States and being used to lots of hills and trees, it'd be a remarkable change of scenery for me.)

6. Are there any big or famous ranches along the way?

Plz help me out!!!

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 04-13-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Don't speed through West Texas. I keep it to no more than 5 mph over the speed limit and that seems to work fine. Most small towns rely on DPS/state troopers to patrol the highways. Speed limit off the interstates is 70.

Sonora to San Angelo is a nice drive, but I haven't made that trip in years. Outside of Eldorado, look for the "YFZ Ranch" which is home to a group of polygamists and has been in the news for several years... There is also a big structure on a ridge that used to be an Air Force radar station.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I might be putting together a road trip in June that involves a leg between San Antonio and Amarillo. My projected path would be I-10 west to Sonora, U.S. 277 north to San Angelo, and U.S. 87 and I-27 to Amarillo via Lubbock. According to my calculations, that'd be just over 500 miles. My questions are these:

2. What is the speed limit on U.S. 277 between Sonora and San Angelo, and U.S. 87 between San Angelo and Lubbock?

5. Is there any superlative scenery anywhere along the route, like deserts, cacti, steppes, expansive flat plains to the horizon, escarpments, etc.?*

(*: I know it might be nothing special to a lot of you, but living my whole life in the eastern United States and being used to lots of hills and trees, it'd be a remarkable change of scenery for me.)

Plz help me out!!!
1. I-10 starting just west of Kerrville will be 80 mph.

2. I think the speed limit on 277 and 87 is 70 most of the time, slowing down through towns.

3. Depends.

4. I believe so, but I think you have to look closely at the building to see the damage.

5. There's no true desert along the route, but there is a lot of brushland, steppe, grassland, etc. I-10 has hills with oaks and junipers, with the vegetation generally getting smaller as you go NW. There are prickly pear cacti most of the way. I've not been on 277, but 87 is largely brushland from San Angelo to Big Spring, and then fairly flat grassland with mainly sorghum and cotton farms north of there. Normally you would see lots of those crops, but maybe not as much this year with the drought. You'll probably notice burned areas.

A more scenic and probably faster route in my opinion would be to take US 83 from Junction to Ballinger, and then taking a right at the end of the road (courthouse will be on right) and then an immediate left on 158 to Bronte, then go up to Sweetwater on 70 (lots of wind power produced there). Then go on I-20 west to US 84, to Lubbock. Along the way (if you have time), there will be a sign on 84 for a Lake Alan Henry turnoff, which is supposed to be really nice. It's between Snyder and Post. Then just after Post, you'll run into the Cap Rock Escarpment, the dividing line between the Rolling Plains and the Llano Estacado (High Plains).

Once you get to Lubbock, take a left on S. Loop 289, then go north on I-27 to downtown and the NTS Building (exit Broadway, turn left). Keep in mind that downtown Lubbock is primed for a makeover, and that most of the city's residents live 5 to 15 miles or so to the southwest. I-27 of course then goes to Amarillo, where there are lots of expansive/horizon photo ops. (Note--the route I suggested goes through smaller towns, but fewer stoplights and a bigger variety of scenery.) That route should take about eight to ten hours, depending on the stops.

If you want, Texas Tech is very close to downtown Lubbock. In my opinion, it's one of the nicest campuses in the nation. From the NTS Building, just take Broadway west to the entrance (however, if you want to avoid taking a brick street, go south on Avenue L and take a right on 19th St., and then take a right on University Ave.). The Broadway St. entrance has fountains, sculptures, etc., and then to the north of that off University Ave. is Jones Stadium, where the football team plays. I don't know about famous ranches along the way, but Tech has the National Ranching Heritage Center off Fourth Street just west of Flint Ave. (take the frontage road west from University Ave. just north of the stadium, but turn off on Fourth Street.) Take the Marsha Sharp Freeway/Fourth Street east to get back on I-27.

I would leave SA by 6:30 to avoid much of the traffic and get an early start. Bring rain, please.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Sorry I couldn't answer more of your questions. Hope you have a good trip.

Quote:

If memory serves me correctly, the 80mph limit begins just north of Kerrville. However, as you go through some of the towns, it's lower. It goes back up between towns.

One of the other posters advised not to speed in west Texas. I agree. You've got small town police depts, sheriff's depts and state troopers all throughout your trip.

After you go through Junction, you'll notice the terrain will begin to change.

The only one I can think of is the YO Ranch in Kerrville. Their general store and resort hotel are located at 2033 Sidney Baker Street. Their website is YO Ranch. The website will give you information on their restaurant, hotel, rooms, etc.

Plz help me out!!!
One other thing: I don't know how rushed you'll be but maybe you'll have time to visit the Caverns at Sonora.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:

Plz help me out!!!
Generally speaking, the speed limit is 70 on every rural stretch of highway (not including I-10 of course). You also don't have to worry about speeding if it's less than 5mph over the posted limit. Watch out when you're coming into small towns though. That's where many police try to catch you.

The NTS building is not visibly distorted, though you can see where they replaced the bricks from the tornado.

For scenery, I'd recommend taking State Highway 70 from San Angelo to Sweetwater, then taking US 84 up to Lubbock. Palo Duro Canyon just east of Canyon is a MUST see if you're going to be in this part of the state.

I can't think of any famous ranches off the top of my head, but the Ranching Heritage Center on the campus of Texas Tech is pretty cool. They have many preserved ranch houses from the Old West era.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
FM 669 between Gail and Post, SE of Lubbock, is a very scenic road, going on and off the Caprock.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
will cops give you 5 over on I-10 where its 80

Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 AM

96 posts, read 209,572 times
Quote:

Plz help me out!!!
Why would you want to go to Lubbock and Amarillo? There is very nice scenery along that route until you get to I-20 around Big Spring then the scenery turns to, well, not very pretty. A better route would be to turn west at Sonora and see the Big Bend country where God did some of his nicest work.
And as far as "tolerance" on the speed limit. I used to work for the Texas Department of Public Safety in Pecos and I will say this, most troopers will give 10 mph over the speed limit but some won't and watch the speedometer closely when you get in the small towns.
There are big ranches all over West Texas but you will find the biggest, 100,000 acres and more in the Big Bend region, around Alpine.
Have a safe and fun trip.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM

374 posts, read 982,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
will cops give you 5 over on I-10 where its 80
Unless you have out-of-state tags. My work truck had FL plates and was pulled over for 83 in an 80. Basic rule for all of W TX, DON'T SPEED!

I personally would get off the interstates and on to the back roads. Take 71 to Llano (great bbq), then 29 to Menard (lots of wildflowers here) then 83 into Eden and then 87 into San Angelo. Except for the towns, it's all 70 mph highway and there is some great scenery, antiquing, and restaurants.

You might also cut cross country and take 207 East of Plainview where the road suddenly drops into canyon lands from the caprock.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Generally speaking, the speed limit is 70 on every rural stretch of highway (not including I-10 of course). You also don't have to worry about speeding if it's less than 5mph over the posted limit. Watch out when you're coming into small towns though. That's where many police try to catch you.

For scenery, I'd recommend taking State Highway 70 from San Angelo to Sweetwater, then taking US 84 up to Lubbock. Palo Duro Canyon just east of Canyon is a MUST see if you're going to be in this part of the state.

I can't think of any famous ranches off the top of my head, but the Ranching Heritage Center on the campus of Texas Tech is pretty cool. They have many preserved ranch houses from the Old West era.
Ditto those recommendations. Definitely see the Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo!

palo duro canyon - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post

I personally would get off the interstates and on to the back roads. Take 71 to Llano (great bbq), then 29 to Menard (lots of wildflowers here) then 83 into Eden and then 87 into San Angelo. Except for the towns, it's all 70 mph highway and there is some great scenery, antiquing, and restaurants.
I agree. Take I took 71 from Austin last year to Amarillo and had remarkably good highways and little traffic most of the trip. Most of the trip was divided highways, almost as good as an interstate.

Coopers Old Time BBQ in Llano is a unique experience and great BBQ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas