U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM

13,180 posts, read 14,152,766 times

Advertisements

Texas ranks 47th in the Nation and funding per pupil and it's going 13% lower this year.

Notice how these in these threads nobody is asking that taxes be raised to increase funding for our kids?

Even though taxes today are the lowest they've been since 1950?

That's the sign a a sick society in a downward spiral. They don't even care about quality education.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM

4,723 posts, read 7,796,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Back in the mid 90's, one of our kid's schools changed to a college like schedule. Four classes would meet one day, four the next, all with longer time periods. Everybody dreaded it, but everybody ended up loving it. Everything was more concentrated and the kids really learned. So, I could see the four day plan working out. Knowing a lot of our districts though, I can see them really messing it up.
That's how the high schools in Lubbock ISD are. Four 90-minute classes one day, another four the next. It works like a charm and really prepares you for a college setting. However, once a class starts running over the 90-100 minute range, the extra time just becomes a waste.

My high school specifically goes 45 minutes extra Monday through Thursday in exchange for a half day on Friday. It's very convenient for magnet high school students and all their extracurriculars, but it would be a nightmare if implemented anywhere else, especially elementary and middle schools. I imagine that lengthening the day any longer than what we do would really burn out students with all the homework and being cooped up.

Can you imagine any student liking school when they're forced to be in a classroom from 8:30 to 5:00?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 AM

437 posts, read 852,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redtexas View Post
I love the idea!

I think that you will see church programs pick up the slack by offering mother day out programs to cover the open day as well. But wouldn’t it be great if moms could adjust their work schedules to spend more quality time at home with their kids.

So it should automatically be the moms who have to adjust their schedules? What about the dads?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM

20,887 posts, read 41,647,353 times
FWIW, schools are not there to babysit your kids, they are there to educate them. I've watched this attitude develop over the last couple of decades, and it does no one any favors (except maybe those who want, and get, tax-payer paid babysitting and want more, more, more of it).

Perhaps if we, as a culture put the family (however family happens to be defined for each individual family) as the priority in our culture and not the businesses, the businesses would have to adjust their demands to the needs of the people rather than vice versa.

All that being said, remember, folks, you're paying for that babysitting one way or another, either directly, or through your taxes. There's no free lunch (or babysitting).

Old 04-15-2011, 02:22 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
That's how the high schools in Lubbock ISD are. Four 90-minute classes one day, another four the next. It works like a charm and really prepares you for a college setting. However, once a class starts running over the 90-100 minute range, the extra time just becomes a waste.

My high school specifically goes 45 minutes extra Monday through Thursday in exchange for a half day on Friday. It's very convenient for magnet high school students and all their extracurriculars, but it would be a nightmare if implemented anywhere else, especially elementary and middle schools. I imagine that lengthening the day any longer than what we do would really burn out students with all the homework and being cooped up.

Can you imagine any student liking school when they're forced to be in a classroom from 8:30 to 5:00?
That's the biggest problem I see with this idea that they've proposed. I just don't see extended hours at school for 4 days working out too well so I'm against doing it that way. I'm fairly conservative when it comes to taxation and government spending but education is simply too important to ignore. IMO, Texas needs to find whatever ways they can to generate new revenue to fully fund the public schools. It's just too important to let the children in this state fall further behind educationally than they already have. I know that our spineless legislators and governor will probably never have enough courage to face this challenge for fear of the political consequences of proposing new taxes but IMO it needs to be done ASAP. There are ways that Texas could curb spending in other ways, make modest increases in taxes, and designate that extra money for education. By doing it that way, the schools could maintain the regular 5 day school schedule. I used to work for the state of Texas so I'm fairly knowledgeable in that area. It could be done, however, so far I see no leadership from Austin in addressing these long-term funding issues, and that's really pathetic.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM

758 posts, read 2,239,818 times
"Perhaps if we, as a culture put the family (however family happens to be defined for each individual family) as the priority in our culture and not the businesses, the businesses would have to adjust their demands to the needs of the people rather than vice versa. "

Well, we could start by asking corporations to start funding things, or if we believe they just pass through costs, then start taxing capital at the same rate as labor.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 25,404,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Well, we could start by asking corporations to start funding things, or if we believe they just pass through costs, then start taxing capital at the same rate as labor.
All we need corporations to do is PAY THEIR TAXES. No more loopholes. Flat tax with lower rates & no deductions.

Geez, if GE had just paid taxes on their income last year, that would more than close Texas & a few other states' education budget deficits. (I know they aren't HQ'ed here, but I'm sure there are enough other companies in Texas that paid millions of dollars to accountants & attorneys to find every single tax deduction/loophole out there).

Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM

19 posts, read 48,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Do you live in the real world?!
^^^^ lol ^^^^

One way school districts could start cutting costs, if this hasn't been done already, is by doing without the multiple football teams some of these schools have. I mean what MS (6th-8th grade) needs 4 football teams?? The max should be 2. Same with HS football, two teams should be the max per school.

As far as a 4-day school week, that'll never happen!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 PM

33,633 posts, read 53,548,861 times
some districts were planning to cut their "no cut" sports--nominally football
but if the Fed kicks in more money and frees up money for the state I don't know if they will do that--
personally I think they really should--

but having the LEGISLATURE decide that schools can and should change their normal class schedule just because of the reduced funding the LEGISTURE is forcing on the schools--that is bushleague--

The state has meddled too much already in making districts conform to plans the state imposes and does not fund--
for a political party that supposedly prides itself on staying out of local politics and business interests--the party in power ignores that guideline whenever it finds it convenient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: