Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times

Advertisements

Idea of Four Day School Week Gaining Traction in Texas

Schools struggling to cut the budget

Jim Forsyth

Quote:
A proposal to allow Texas school districts to hold class just four days a week appears to be getting traction, as districts search for new ways to save money and balance their budgets.

State Rep. Ryan Guillen (D-Rio Grande City) is floating an idea to allow school districts to add an extra 90 minutes of class time each day, and hold classes four days a week instead of five.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
hopefully the colleges would follow suit but i doubt it

Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
That would really play hell with working parents, wouldn't it?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
What the government and many people in general don't understand is that cutting costs so severely like they're doing is just passing those costs on to the people. That day off means parents might have to pay for one whole day of child care per week if the kids are younger. That day off means one extra day for the ghettoblasters to cause mischief. That day off means that those kids who are in genuine need are potentially going one day without breakfast and lunch. The 90 extra minutes a day for four days means that those that actually care about school are going to be burnt out and worthless by the end of the week and for sure by the end of the year.

But hey, the Texas Legislature has already f***** the education system over with the budget cuts. Why not make things even worse?

Why aren't these costs being cut from the athletic programs?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
it really would stillkit

Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM

41 posts, read 57,299 times
I love the idea!

I posted an article on my facebook account over a year ago about 4 day a week school being tried up north.

The school days will actually get longer to make up for the missed day, but school district expenses go down. In a lot of cases 4 day a week school will lower child care expenses for working families, who are now paying for before and after care for their children.

I think that you will see church programs pick up the slack by offering mother day out programs to cover the open day as well. But wouldn’t it be great if moms could adjust their work schedules to spend more quality time at home with their kids. Either way, I would love the opportunity to add other educational and family opportunities that our current 5 day a week schedule makes it hard to work in. Of course, I think this would only work if we see a reduction in homework and extracurricular activities.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM

89 posts, read 203,308 times
A longer day would make it impossible for extracurricular activities after school Monday-Thursday. Say goodbye to baseball practice.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redtexas View Post
But wouldn’t it be great if moms could adjust their work schedules to spend more quality time at home with their kids. ]
Sure it would! However, if I asked for a 4-day schedule at my job (6-figure income senior manager), I'd be fired. Period. End of discussion. Most people don't have the flexibility of a 4-day schedule OR the ability to take a 20% pay cut for working 1 less day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redtexas View Post
Either way, I would love the opportunity to add other educational and family opportunities that our current 5 day a week schedule makes it hard to work in. Of course, I think this would only work if we see a reduction in homework and extracurricular activities. ]
Let's see...those "other educational" activities probably cost money, right? And you've already taken a pay cut to only work 4 days a week....so how are you planning to fund $20 of museum tickets or zoo entrance fees every week? What about the families that are just getting by? Seems your plan would only benefit priviledged families- putting more of an educational onus on parents. What are the kids whose moms can't not work the 5th school day going to do? Stay home and watch tv all day? Church programs and what-not are great, but they aren't free where I live.

And cutting back on homework & extracurriculars? You DO realize our kids are already so far behind the international competition that it's not even funny, right? And that about 50% of kids are overweight/ obese? You want to cut out the very things that encourage them to be active?

Do you live in the real world?!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Back in the mid 90's, one of our kid's schools changed to a college like schedule. Four classes would meet one day, four the next, all with longer time periods. Everybody dreaded it, but everybody ended up loving it. Everything was more concentrated and the kids really learned. So, I could see the four day plan working out. Knowing a lot of our districts though, I can see them really messing it up.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 AM

705 posts, read 1,758,949 times
I think that for MS/HS this is potentially a good plan academically. But I don't think that the younger kids, especially those K-4, would get much out of a longer school day. Have you seen brand new K kids after a full day K? Those babies are exhausted. And the little boys who have trouble sitting still in K-2...what do you think 90 more minutes of instruction would do to them?

So looking from a purely academic/learning standpoint, it would be detrimental to the little ones. Then what do you do? Say suck it up and do it anyway? Or try for different schedules for different grades....but wait - there goes the cost savings, and you've added a logistical nightmare!

For those reasons I don't think it is in the kids' best interest. Maybe it would save some $, maybe major $, but if the whole idea is to not sacrifice the kids while saving $ then this isn't the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: