Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times

Advertisements

I am very sorry to see the lovely countryside and homes around Possum Kingdom State Park charred. Indian Lodge out in Fort Davis Stae Park is presently closed because of wildfires. I was going to the Texas Star Party, a big amateur astronomy event held out north of Fort Davis near McDonald Observatory, but I'm having second thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I am very sorry to see the lovely countryside and homes around Possum Kingdom State Park charred. Indian Lodge out in Fort Davis Stae Park is presently closed because of wildfires. I was going to the Texas Star Party, a big amateur astronomy event held out north of Fort Davis near McDonald Observatory, but I'm having second thoughts.
A Midland friend sent me several photos from Fort Davis/Alpine. I was sick.

Closing Indian Lodge was a smart thing to do until they get things under control again.

What a fire season we are apparently in for this year....and it's just barely started.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Catman, please don't change your plans. Fort Davis and the surrounding areas need the tourism dollars more than ever now. Last I heard was that the Prude Ranch was not harmed. You can double check that with the ranch or the Fort Davis Volunteer Fire Department before making up your mind.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,340 times
I had been planning on visiting the McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis, and general area around there this weekend, but now I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I know these small towns need the support through tourism, but on the other, it's hard to gauge if it's safe to actually go. Wildfires are exactly that: wild; they can change at any second. I'm also conflicted: I had wanted to go out to the desert to see dramatic landscapes, I suppose a charred and burning one would be dramatic too... but would visiting it just be naive of me? Any thoughts anyone?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
I had been planning on visiting the McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis, and general area around there this weekend, but now I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I know these small towns need the support through tourism, but on the other, it's hard to gauge if it's safe to actually go. Wildfires are exactly that: wild; they can change at any second. I'm also conflicted: I had wanted to go out to the desert to see dramatic landscapes, I suppose a charred and burning one would be dramatic too... but would visiting it just be naive of me? Any thoughts anyone?
I would go. The local authorities will warn you of any fires in the area.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
McDonald Observatory is located on top of a tree-covered mountain (Mt Livermore), in what I think is the most beautiful area in Texas. It's not at all desert. I hope it's still as beautiful as it used to be.

LilyLady: Part of my concern with going to the Texas Star Party is whether or not the fires in the vicinity will be out by then (end of May). The terrific night sky which has formerly been the case there won't be so terrific if there is smoke in the atmosphere. I know that the Prude Ranch itself hasn't burned (yet). And I need to find out when Indian Lodge will be open again. I hope it wasn't harmed!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,340 times
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm still hoping to go. I just emailed prude ranch to see what they thought of things, and hopefully I can just play it by ear and see how things evolve over the next few days... of course if I go I'll let y'all know what it's like out there.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Texas Wildfires Miss McDonald Observatory | Hobby-Eberly Telescope, Fort Davis Evacuees | Astronomy, Telescopes & Observatories | Our Amazing Planet

Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,942 times
That looks pretty close ... looks like it's the next valley over.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
RedJacket,

Thank you for the information. I'm relieved to read that observatory and all the programs are set to resume today, April 20. That's good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas