Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,677,232 times

Advertisements

With both of these cities, you will still have to travel to have a fun weekend and to go shopping. They both really only have the "basics" of a Wal-Mart, small mall, and a few specialty stores. As for fun things to do, WF has basically nothing, and San Angelo only has a few things. Of course, compared to Seminole, these places probably seem like huge towns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:04 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,945,509 times
It's not like there is no shopping, there is Best Buy, Pier One, Petco, PetSmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Ross, etc. No TJ Maxx, which is my favorite!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM

748 posts, read 1,470,996 times
Hey, since you live in Seminole, WF or San Angelo would neither be too far of a drive to test out.

I would suggest spending a weekend in each of them just to get a feel for the place. Can't really learn much, but would be the best investment of time and a tiny bit of $$ that I can think of, in the context of moving your family into a new life.

I have friends and family in San Angelo, but have family just outside of WF too. I don't know either city very well, but have had a nice time whenever I have been in either place.

Stopped in WF two weeks ago, and ate at the Carl's Jr. next to the highway. Took a little scenic drive through the surrounding area, then hit the road.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 31,861 times
We are making plans today to give them both a visit soon And some shopping is better than none lol all we have in this small town is a wal-mart. They both seem to be close to the size of Lubbock and that's good. We're ok with traveling some for the wkend but either way it beats having to drive 6 hrs whether it's to San Antonio or Dallas from Seminole. Driving 2 hrs would be a cinch for us if we move to WF. Dallas and Ok both have lots to do I think that's what i'm leaning more towards-WF

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 31,861 times
I like tj maxx as well. WF does have one and it seems like their mall is pretty descent too.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM

437 posts, read 919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truu View Post
We are making plans today to give them both a visit soon And some shopping is better than none lol all we have in this small town is a wal-mart. They both seem to be close to the size of Lubbock and that's good. We're ok with traveling some for the wkend but either way it beats having to drive 6 hrs whether it's to San Antonio or Dallas from Seminole. Driving 2 hrs would be a cinch for us if we move to WF. Dallas and Ok both have lots to do I think that's what i'm leaning more towards-WF

I have lived in San Angelo and it's a great town. The people there are some of the friendliest I've ever encountered and it's very laid back. I don't know much about Wichita Falls, but neither city is really close to the size of Lubbock. SA and WF combined have fewer people than Lubbock.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,931,438 times
I currently live in San Angelo, and have for the last 12 (minus two years when I was in Italy).

San Angelo is a city with a population of approximately 93k people, over 100k if you include the surrounding areas (Grape Creek, Christoval, Wall, etc.).

There are two High Schools here. Central High School is the bigger of the two, Lakeview being the other. They are not in the same conference for sports, however. There are a few 3-4 middle schools, and numerous elementary schools. The link for schools is www.saisd.org.

Crime is relatively low here, although it does exist. The largest percentage is normally drug related, and involves people who know each other. Random crimes are low, but recently there's been a little increase (probably economically-related). There is relatively few minor crimes (break-ins, assaults) compared to other cities I've lived in in the past.

For recreation, there is a city symphony, a city theater (acting), and we have a semi-pro baseball team (currently in 1st place), semi-pro hockey team, and arena football team. There is are two colleges in the city, Howard Community College, and Angelo State University (which recently adopted accredidation for Texas Tech curriculum). Angelo State University (ASU) also has the standard sports teams that you can watch if you'd be interested in local college games.

For the children, there are city parks, city pools, an indoor rollerskating rink (with indoor laser tag, and an outside mini-golf course). We have a movie theater with about 12-15 screens (not sure the exact number). There is a skateboard park as well. The city holds regular sports events for kids (football, soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc.) at both the city rec-level and YMCA groups. There are even select teams for specific sports that are selected from the other rec-league teams.

We have a fairly small shopping mall (one-level), that has stores from Dilliards, Beals, Sears, and JC Penneys, to smaller specialty stores. There are two super-Walmarts, an H-E-B (Texas-brand shopping store), Sam's (Costco-equivalent if you've never heard of it), and Albertson's. We have some specialty stores in the city as well (Starbucks), and all the main pizza and fast-food players.

Our local paper (San Angelo Standard Times) can also be found online at: www.gosanangelo.com\ (http://www.gosanangelo.com\ - broken link)

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,931,438 times
Quote:
My husband and I are planning to move to San Angelo and I would really love to hear from someone who has lived there. What is the town like in general? Is it a safe and fun place to raise children? How are the public schools? From doing research i'm getting that santa rita, glenn, and central are the best schools there, is that true? Is the city entertaining or do you find yourself traveling a few hrs to have fun? I know it's alot of questions but I just want to make sure this is the right move to make. Thank you so much in advance.
Santa Rita is a school that also holds the name for the area the housing is in. Santa Rita has some of the largest houses in San Angelo, but they are older houses. There are some rival houses in the upper level of the Bluffs as well as other areas of the city.

Glenn and Lee are the two middle schools that feed Central High School, and Lincoln middle school feeds Lakeview. Glenn would probably be a nicer middle school but those with money (from the Bluffs and other higher income areas) feed into Lee. The issue with Lee is that it takes kids from around the school area where the income isn't necessarily as high as other areas.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 PM

844 posts, read 1,685,019 times
How is the fishing(especially bass) near San Angelo? Are the lakes real crowded? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 PM

748 posts, read 1,470,996 times
Quote:
They both seem to be close to the size of Lubbock and that's good.
City-data numbers:
Lubbock -225856
Wichita Falls - 101313 (includes the whole county maybe??)
San Angelo - 92147

Lubbock is bigger than both combined, but then Lubbock is the largest town in this part of Tx....

I would lean towards WF, if only because I have family that live outside Denton, and it would be a shorter drive.

Really, from my limited knowledge, it would be a difficult decision to make. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas