Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM

89 posts, read 185,931 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. Im a 25 y/o male looking to move to Texas this summer. I currently live in CA and will be moving to Texas for several reasons. No family yet but would like to buy a house in the near future.

I havent picked a place yet but have been looking at FT Worth, SA or Austin/waco area. The job market might have more to do with where I go than personal preference but I'm just lookin for a place to start. Id really rather stay out of the big cities but will most likely have to work in one. Outskirts of town?

Shooting and buying guns is a hobby for me so Id like to avoid any part of the state where folks are anti. A place with a range and some gunstores/ gunshows are also a big interest. I"ll be getting a CHL when i arrive. So i dont want to live in a place where buisness post those 30.06 signs or no guns allowed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
Hello everybody. Im a 25 y/o male looking to move to Texas this summer. I currently live in CA and will be moving to Texas for several reasons. No family yet but would like to buy a house in the near future.

I havent picked a place yet but have been looking at FT Worth, SA or Austin/waco area. The job market might have more to do with where I go than personal preference but I'm just lookin for a place to start. Id really rather stay out of the big cities but will most likely have to work in one. Outskirts of town?

Shooting and buying guns is a hobby for me so Id like to avoid any part of the state where folks are anti. A place with a range and some gunstores/ gunshows are also a big interest. I"ll be getting a CHL when i arrive. So i dont want to live in a place where buisness post those 30.06 signs or no guns allowed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Here is a database of 30.06 locations in the state. It may not be complete, but it should give you an idea of where you might encounter the most signs. In general I think you would want to avoid the big cities and large city police department jurisdictions. Even though you may legally be able to carry, that doesn't mean the local police won't hassle you anyway.

Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home

Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
It's Texas. It's all gun friendly!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I started to say--you have got to be kidding -- asking if TX is gun-friendly--
heck the legislature is going to allow college students and teachers to bring guns on campus--can't get more friendly than that

Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Even the big cities are gun friendly. There are plenty of shooting ranges to choose from. Even in the center of the city!

Not a full list, but many are shown here: http://www.texasgunrange.com/

http://www.dfwgun.com/ http://www.dallaspistol.com/DAPS/

However, it is a state law that CHL holders are not permitted with their guns inside certain places like schools or bars. So there is no part of the state where you can do that. It's going to be the same law throughout the state.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies! Anything has got to be better than California gun laws. Attitudes arent too bad unless you go to San Francisco. Laws here are the real problem. I even grew up in a small town and theres not many gun stores or places to shoot. Every time I turn around another gun store closes down. Now that I live in a more populated city its still the same bs. One tiny gun store with outrageous prices. Theres only one shooting range in god knows how far. Its only 25 yard backstop on top of that!

How is the cowboy culture out there? Is it like everybody says? Cowboy hats and steer horns on the hood of trucks,lol? I think i can get into the boots, but the hat im not so sure.

Im looking to move to a place on the outskirts of one of the major metro areas. I like the heat but dont want to live in the desert either. Being close to a river or lake would be nice. Any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Of all the big cities in Texas, Austin is the most liberal, so it would be safe to say that would be where you MIGHT encounter some anti-gun people. But still, Texas is a VERY gun-friendly place. We'll gladly help a like-minded person "escape" from California!

Once you get here, you need to join Texas State Rifle Association. https://www.tsra.com/

Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
The cowboy culture is overdone and overplayed. The only place you might see a little more than usual is in FW because of the Stockyards, etc. and FW's motto is "Where the West begins". Also in small towns you will see more boots and hats, etc. You can pretty much live outside of any metro area of TX and find plenty of gun ranges and that sort of thing. From your post, I think you have the right idea, FW, Austin, SA would probably be what you are looking for. There are lakes and rivers outside of all of these cities although I think central TX has some of the prettiest lakes and rivers in the state.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Of all the big cities in Texas, Austin is the most liberal, so it would be safe to say that would be where you MIGHT encounter some anti-gun people. But still, Texas is a VERY gun-friendly place. We'll gladly help a like-minded person "escape" from California!

Once you get here, you need to join Texas State Rifle Association. https://www.tsra.com/
I appreciate the hospitality! I'll get a membership soon as i get there.
That would be another sweet sticker to slap on the back window of my truck!

I'll have to get a dont mess with texas sticker too, along with those liscense plates,lol.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
How is the cowboy culture out there? Is it like everybody says? Cowboy hats and steer horns on the hood of trucks,lol? I think i can get into the boots, but the hat im not so sure.
I've never seen steer horns on a truck. That sounds cartoonish and ridiculous. Where have you heard of that? Everybody says it is like that? Wow -- everybody is misinformed.

Out in the country some people will wear a cowboy hat. Some wear cowboy boots too. But you'll be among the majority if you don't wear either. It's about the same as you'll see in the rural parts of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas