Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in Galveston
Yes 63 51.64%
No 39 31.97%
Only on a vacation 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM

447 posts, read 487,968 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in Galveston. Galveston has it's charm. Very relaxing place for me. Whatever people say, but for me, Galveston is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,025,276 times
I would live there, especially on the West End. It could be a lovely coastal town with a little TLC. I see tons of potential!

Old 11-02-2018, 07:35 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
I stand by my comment from 2011. I live in Galveston County but not on the island. I would not want to live on the island. No way. I do enjoy the history and the Strand, however.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
No for me. Yes Galveston is a nice place to visit but I couldn't live with the uncertainty of hurricane action each season. Just no.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
I wonder how many of the Galveston haters are on the Island tonight taking in the Lone Star Rally ?

Home - Lone Star Rally

Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Got a retired co-worker that lives on Galveston and has owned a house down there for 30+ years. The taxes and insurance on the house are ~$23,000/yr, which is a bit steep for me. Their place isn't super fancy but neat location near Jamaica Beach. All the houses around them are constantly rented out for tourists, so some are fun and some are a real nuisance.

And yup, they posted pictures of all the bikes around their house right now :P.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:36 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Absolutely not. The island is dumpy in terms of how most property owners maintain property. Too many tourists. Its noticeably more humid. As someone else said, there is a lot of riffraff. The riffraff thing seems to be common to the beach communities, though as evidently they move there to do drugs at leisure without having to worry about it getting cold.

Then there's also the little issue of not wanting to buy property on a sandbar.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
I would live there but if I had young kids, I would not raise them there without researching the health effects. That are is so rife with petrochemicals. Someone told me that something like 40-50% of the women in that are end up with breast cancer. Now that would need to be verified before believing but if so, sounds terrible for the health. Surfside, I love but just to visit and that place has tons o' petrochemicals in the beach sand, and you can see the oil equipment from the beach, I just turn my back.

Galveston, has a real charm, I could see living there a few months a year. I love the downtown, the bars, rding a bike on the beach. One thing though is the mosquitoes, you go one time and there's none and another time you are besieged so you would have to be ok with that suddenly being upon you unpredictably.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:16 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I would live there but if I had young kids, I would not raise them there without researching the health effects. That are is so rife with petrochemicals. Someone told me that something like 40-50% of the women in that are end up with breast cancer. Now that would need to be verified before believing but if so, sounds terrible for the health. Surfside, I love but just to visit and that place has tons o' petrochemicals in the beach sand, and you can see the oil equipment from the beach, I just turn my back.

Galveston, has a real charm, I could see living there a few months a year. I love the downtown, the bars, rding a bike on the beach. One thing though is the mosquitoes, you go one time and there's none and another time you are besieged so you would have to be ok with that suddenly being upon you unpredictably.
Why would anybody regurgitate such obvious smears like these ? I've been told many things that are hyperbolic smears about many people, and places, but I would not give them the credibility of even mentioning them in passing on a internet forum. But that's just me I guess...

Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 PM

286 posts, read 569,666 times
I'm happy to discuss any literature supporting increased cancer rates of any place, including Galveston or Corpus. Vague statements with no evidence? Dismiss them out of hand.
The BCa rate isn't 1/2 in Galveston. That's clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas