Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Oh please. Educated and well traveled Blacks are the main ones who say that dallas lags behind cities like Houston, Atlanta, and dc when it comes to being an attractive place for professionals. Lets not pretend like there arent articles and discussions saying the same.
You seem very negative towards Dallas. Why do you even live there?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Thank you for being more sensible and understanding because I was not coming for Dallas at all. I can care less at this point about who is better, but I do hear all the time how Houston is comparable to Atlanta and that it is the blackest city in Texas for our culture.

As for my friends, I think they just may find Houston more black friendly, if you will. They should definitely get to experience Dallas for what it's worth though.
I lived in Atlanta for 6 years before coming to Dallas and yes, that was the case in Atlanta. The two were compared a lot especially after Katrina happened. I think where Houston is located just feels more Southeastern culturally along the Gulf Coast area and that lends to more of an overall African American presence in the local culture. While Dallas has a large and growing population. I don't think it's as established as with other minorities in the Dallas area. A lot of minority growth has been within recent decades. I think there's a lot of potential in Dallas and it's already a great place for people of any background to call home.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
It's a lot here. I was not expecting it to be that much when I moved here. I was shocked and impressed.
You should spend a good bit of time in Dallas though. I think it will be different than what idea you form from coming here. I was actually a bit nervous moving to Dallas and Texas in general when I was relocating from Atlanta just because of what people say on here about both. I quickly realized what a bunch of biased crap most of it was.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 PM

I bet it's nice in Dallas. I would love to go visit!

People tend to forget that Houston has two of the largest HBCUs in the country, which add culture to African American scene. Also, the SWAC Championship football and basketball games are now played in Houston. This also exposes the college kids to Houston regarding relocation post graduation. Yes, I can see people in Atlanta comparing Houston to it because a lot of blacks from Atlanta are making their way here. Houston is talked about often in Atlanta.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Yes, Houston feels like the southeast culturally and scenery wise (pine trees, red dirt, etc.)

Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Funny thing is that no metro outside Atlanta attracts more Blacks then DFW. All the built in advantages Houston and DC has and DFW still attracts more Blacks. Midwestern Blacks are stating to flock to Dallas for some reason. My uncle and his family just moved from Chicago area to Irving last month.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 AM

There are a lot of Chicago and St. Louis people here too. People are just interested in Texas. LOL. When you have two metros with 1 million + plus (with one being a little more dominant than the other one) within the same state, people are going to flock to either or.

Are those figures still the same for this decade and/or current year?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
There are a lot of Chicago and St. Louis people here too. People are just interested in Texas. LOL. When you have two metros with 1 million + plus (with one being a little more dominant than the other one) within the same state, people are going to flock to either or.

Are those figures still the same for this decade and/or current year?
When are you coming to dallas since you know so much about it already?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Funny thing is that no metro outside Atlanta attracts more Blacks then DFW. All the built in advantages Houston and DC has and DFW still attracts more Blacks. Midwestern Blacks are stating to flock to Dallas for some reason. My uncle and his family just moved from Chicago area to Irving last month.
I'm sure that the reason for that is DFW's more diverse economy. It can pull blacks from many different fields.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Native Black dallasites do seem to be subservient/country/ mentally stuck but thankfully there are alot of Blacks moving here from other cities (like myself). Most of the Black middle class came here from someplace else it seems.
Well hell, that could be said for ANY booming city and metro's native black and middle class black populations, including Houston's. You seem to be going out of your way to slander Dallas's black community in order to make your point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas