Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM

163 posts, read 156,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
This is simply not true. In many of those places settlement patterns have been going on for decades (especially LA and Chicago) and many of those settlement patterns are a result of historical segregation, redlining, and other forms of housing discrimination. It's not as simple as "people tend to cluster in their own ethnic enclaves". This is true for first generation immigrants, but not everyone else.

After that first generation, people tend to self sort, especially this day in age, into communities based on social class first. This is what is seen in Houston - most of the racially stratified communities are either first generation immigrant communities or poor neighborhoods. Most middle class and up areas are mixed to some extent from an ethnic perspective.

Focusing on the city of Dallas, this is not even close to true. There are small areas of the city that are racially integrated, but it is still far below the level of Houston, regardless of income. I agree that the metro as a whole is much closer to the Houston metro but still less international (I believe that 37% vs. 31% non-white figure tells the story there).

Houston is definitely assisted in its diversity by the lack of zoning, but that's far from the main reason in my opinion. Location has a lot to do with it, historical friendliness to minorities has a lot to do with it, perception has a lot to do with it, and the international nature of the Houston economy has a lot to do with it. I think zoning is a minor factor overall in terms of racial patterns of either city today, but a major reason for Dallas' historical racial patterns and a reason that there is such a higher degree of residential segregation today.

I don't understand why you're trying to frame us as making Dallas seem like some sort of backwoods place. We're saying it's not as international or cosmopolitan as Houston, but not that it's not cosmopolitan or international on its own merits. Can you disagree with that with a straight face, either in terms of the city or the metro? Can you really say that you feel Dallas is less segregated than Houston? Do you feel that higher educational opportunities for young blacks is better in DFW than Houston? Do you feel that business opportunities are better for blacks in DFW than Houston?

If so, I'd love to see any type of evidence to back up your statement, objective, subjective, or otherwise.
NYT census map display similar housing patterns in both cities. Very similar data throughout the city.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 PM

163 posts, read 156,149 times
The great thing is that we have to fantastic metro areas within the same state where blacks can prosper. Both areas have always had established middle class black communities. The rest of America is just now discovering it. They are very similar metro areas with many of its residents moving back and forth between the two. Many people have relatives in both. As for the HBCU's they serve black Texans and many of the Dallasites return home. I have PV and TSU relatives in Dallas and their is especially a ton PV people in Dallas. Both are great places, I'm in Atl now but hope to return one day.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
The great thing is that we have to fantastic metro areas within the same state where blacks can prosper. Both areas have always had established middle class black communities. The rest of America is just now discovering it. They are very similar metro areas with many of its residents moving back and forth between the two. Many people have relatives in both. As for the HBCU's they serve black Texans and many of the Dallasites return home. I have PV and TSU relatives in Dallas and their is especially a ton PV people in Dallas. Both are great places, I'm in Atl now but hope to return one day.
To DFW I'm guessing? lol

Old 08-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Check these out. I found these threads searching Google.
Young Texas fonts, get in hurr..
Dallas or Houston?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you're trying to frame us as making Dallas seem like some sort of backwoods place. We're saying it's not as international or cosmopolitan as Houston, but not that it's not cosmopolitan or international on its own merits. Can you disagree with that with a straight face, either in terms of the city or the metro? Can you really say that you feel Dallas is less segregated than Houston? Do you feel that higher educational opportunities for young blacks is better in DFW than Houston? Do you feel that business opportunities are better for blacks in DFW than Houston?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Let me know if the dallas folks ever get around to answering these simple questions. I mean I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.....
Is houston more international than Dallas. .....yes....just barely
Is houston less segrigated than Dallas.......not really. ....the cities are just layed out different.
3rd ward=south Dallas
South park=pleasant grove
5Th ward=Oak Cliff
Aleif/SW side= northest Dallas
Sharpstown= SW Dallas Redbird
The difference is the no zoning for houston.

Is higher education for blacks better in houston?..........yeah...cuz blacks are not allowed to go to mixed schools......wtf...the last i checked S.M.U , UNT, UTD,UTA,UT Southwestern, and UNT Dallas all had blacks enrolled.....which is way better than PVU and TSU.

These links say alot:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5090228AAJsvWl

The 10 Best Cities To Raise African-American Families | MadameNoire

Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 AM

Those are a little dated, and the people on yahoo seem like randoms.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Is houston more international than Dallas. .....yes....just barely
Is houston less segrigated than Dallas.......not really. ....the cities are just layed out different.
3rd ward=south Dallas
South park=pleasant grove
5Th ward=Oak Cliff
Aleif/SW side= northest Dallas
Sharpstown= SW Dallas Redbird
The difference is the no zoning for houston.

Is higher education for blacks better in houston?..........yeah...cuz blacks are not allowed to go to mixed schools......wtf...the last i checked S.M.U , UNT, UTD,UTA,UT Southwestern, and UNT Dallas all had blacks enrolled.....which is way better than PVU and TSU.

These links say alot:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5090228AAJsvWl

The 10 Best Cities To Raise African-American Families | MadameNoire
You don't know Houston with those neighborhood comparisons. And that college thing was pretty weak. As if TSU and PV are the only schools in the Houston area. Sorry Dallas doesn't have two large HBCUs, but that doesn't mean those are the only Houston schools. I mean really, you're going to list UT Southwestern?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You don't know Houston with those neighborhood comparisons. And that college thing was pretty weak. As if TSU and PV are the only schools in the Houston area. Sorry Dallas doesn't have two large HBCUs, but that doesn't mean those are the only Houston schools. I mean really, you're going to list UT Southwestern?
Those neighborhoods match in my opinion...And yes I know houston has more schools but dont make it seem like blacks in Dallas are deprived because there's not two BLACK universities in Dallas. Most smart black people would choose NOT to go to an ALL BLACK college because most black colleges are deprived of stature.....duh!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Those neighborhoods match in my opinion...And yes I know houston has more schools but dont make it seem like blacks in Dallas are deprived because there's not two BLACK universities in Dallas. Most smart black people would choose NOT to go to an ALL BLACK college because most black colleges are deprived of stature.....duh!!!
Yes, but blacks have two HBCUs in the area, and then there is also Rice, UH, St. Thomas, HBU, etc. These schools are (in general) better than the DFW schools. You're really going to make this comparison when there really is no comparison?

DFW has nothing comparable to Rice, for any students black or otherwise.
DFW does not have two large HBCUs with a total enrollment north of 15,000 students.

Not much a comparison if you ask me. And many of us have gone to HBCUs and done fine. I'm curious as to what beacon of academic excellence you attended?

Last edited by majicdonjuan; 08-05-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:16 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
There is very little difference in the diversity of the two looking at the NYT census map, especially when you hover over the various census blocks and look at the data.
I very much disagree with respect to the cities themselves, and it actually seems more apparent to me when you actually look at the data. The main difference seems to be in Asian population. The city of Dallas does not have but about 3% Asians as of 2010 where Houston was at 6% and it shows.

Additionally, there's nothing in Dallas even close to the diversity of Southwest Houston. I think that can also be seen very clearly on the map.

I very much agree with you with respect to the suburbs, there's very little difference overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas