Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 33,169 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking for personal experiences and data on where to purchase a lakefront home with dock to enjoy now, and retire to. My requirements are; reasonable prices (?200-500K?), 1/3 to 1 acre lot, nice view (cove or canal), and proximity to good health care (doctor's offices within 15 miles or so, hospital, within 20), some activities like a social club, golf, culture (within25 miles). Proximity to a larger city (within an hour's drive). I've heard bits and pieces over the years - such as, pollution in the lakes north of Houston (Rayburn, I think), Lake LBJ overpriced and becoming overbuilt and over-crowded, and Richland-Chambers being lovely and deep for sailing, but in the middle of nowhere. We'd like to have access to an active community, middle-aged people close to retirement/retiring, and be on a lake for some fishing and waterskiing. Also heard Canyon lake is beautiful, but we really would like a dock with immediate access to our motor boat. Could you comment on the lakes mentioned, as well as any others you think are stellar? We'd also consider a lot upon which to build, but in our price range, don't think we could afford over $150-175. Any thoughts or experiences? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
run search for LAKE or LAKE HOUSE on the different city forums and see the older threads

some lakes in TX are Corps of Engineer lakes and they don't allow docks w/o special permits

from my POV--one of the prettiest lakes in Possum Kingdom -- deep, clear, limestone bottom--but it is expensive to get lake front land and it is pretty far

Cedar Creek is murky lake to me but has advantage of allowing docks to water and has wide price ranges
but lots of homes are smaller, older so you are paying for lot in many cases

Houston has two lakes that are close to "city living" and are very large so busy traffic does not overwhelm boaters
Lake Lewisville north of Dallas is one of the busiest, more dangerous lakes -- lots of accidents there and plenty of people abusing alcohol (and I am not a prude)

make sure you understand who has authority to draw large quantities of water from the lake and how likely it is to be drawn-down in dry months
many of lakes in Dallas area are water storage lakes for use by cities FTW and Dallas
as are other lakes in TX for other cities

taxes are also prohibitive in some areas
usually pay by FT of shoreline for bigger the lot, more the tax bill
that is why some people prefer a narrow water front that spreads as it comes back

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Many of the man-made lakes in Texas fluctuate seasonally so that any boat house / dock has to be able to move with the water level changes. Keeping a boat at a marina is expensive, but avoids the problems since the marina owner adjusts for fluctuations.

My personal preference for lakes are those in the hill country, Canyon Lake being one option. The "chain of lakes" from Lake LBJ to City Lake in Austin provide waterways between the lakes (reservoirs) that have homes with docks and boat houses. Anyone living on lake shore needs to be prepared for the constant noise - and the annoyance of jet skis where they are permitted.
And of course the noise levels are worst on weekends - just when you are hoping to spend a relaxing day.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
A few years ago, I would have highly recommended Lake Athens. It's a beutiful lake, clear (moss bottom), lots of good fishing, etc.. Overall, Athens is a good community with nice people. But the people who run the Lake Authority that controls development on the lake, which is the water supply for Athens, are crooks. They are NOT interested in the best interest of the community, and are way more interested in what political interests they can control, helping their buddies benefit from their authority by dumping on property owners, etc.. For this reason I'd recommend anyone to stay away from Lake Athens. Too bad, it's a great lake to visit. Just don't live there.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The north shore of Lake Travis might be worth looking at - something like Lago Vista.

South shore is too expensive in general though it might be possible to buy something small for $500K further up the lake.

Lake Travis is a beautiful lake with deep, clear water. The closer you are to Austin, the busier it is in the summer. Fishing is very good. Lake Travis water levels vary +/- 20 feet (or more) a year, so any waterfront must be researched to make sure you have water even during low water times. Some coves disappear during droughts.

I am not sure about medical facilities on the north shore - sorry.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 51,954 times
I love Clear Lake. It is approx 30 miles from Houston and navigable to the Galveston Bay and beyond. There are many homes in that price range. Clear Lake is laid back and feels like a resort community but it is made up mostly of full time residents. Great local spots. Health care is plentiful with one of the best medical centers in the country in Houston. South Shore Harbor has a great golf course/club. There are some outstanding homes on Taylor Lake and Clear Lake. If you have never been to this area, it is certainly worth a visit.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I would also check out Lake Texoma - you can get a dock but it's not going to necessarily be in front of your house. Corps of Engineers has its crooks there also - and Grayson County Commisioners can be greased with the right persuasion. I know a lot of folks really like Cedar Creek but I don't think it's as scenic as Texoma (or Possum Kingdom). Texoma is in the growth path of the northern Dallas suburbs so it's probably going to appreciate well over time. There are pros and cons to that - it can get somewhat crowded and noisy on the weekends but it is a HUGE lake and even has islands. Maybe I should not say crowded; let's just say there are some speed demons because of the size of the lake.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Lake O the Pines in East Texas or Lake Buchanan down here in the Hill Country, known for the bass fishing there.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM

177 posts, read 357,896 times
Canyon Lake is ugly... we drove by there last weekend and I wouldn't put it on my list. I love Granbury Lake as well as the little town Granbury; very clean and quaint. Also, my sister lives in Tyler and there are many lakes in that area for fishing and boating... I love Tyler... you have beautiful pine trees and in the spring/summer azaleas and roses everywhere. Lastly, my parents live on Lake Texoma (the OK side) and it has lovely parts, too, plus you can get to Dallas fast.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I second Granbury. I'm not positive if you can get all your lakefront property desires there but it has everything else you want and Fort Worth is a half hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas