Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times

Advertisements

Why call the judge and offer to pay a fine for a non-moving violation and HOPE he agrees?

For the 100th time, just do deferred adjudication. You don't even have to show up for court, you can do it all over the phone or Internet / mail. You pay court costs and move on with your life, and the ticket stays off your record.

Why not do that instead of having to beg the judge and hope he's a nice guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascension View Post
So you don't find it ridiculous to get a speeding ticket for being under 10 over? Like you haven't gone that amount while cruising?
I have admitted (on this and other threads) that I do occasionally speed. Here's the significant difference, apparently, between you and me (and a couple of others on here).

When I do something wrong, and I KNOW that I'm doing something wrong, and I get caught, I don't pretend that it's anybody's fault but mine. I don't blame the police officer, I don't blame the speed limit itself, I don't say I'm just a little big pregnant - I take personal responsibility for the consequences of my own actions and admit that I screwed up and take my medicine.

10 miles over the limit is 10 miles over the limit (you do know what the word "limit" means, correct? If not, there's much bigger problems that should keep you off the road than 10 miles over the limit). You broke the law. You got caught. Take your medicine (or any of the numerous options that won't taste quite so bad that are available to you that have been spelled out here) and move on.

Just don't pretend that you aren't the one responsible for the consequences you're experiencing. That's all I ask. Apparently, in this day and age, that's just an impossible concept for some to grasp, that when they do something wrong, if they get caught, it's their own danged fault.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The only one "whining" here is you...the same tired old rant about personal responsibility in a situation where it makes no sense. Even the OP was simply asking about options after having gotten a ticket.

Legally, it's a criminal charge, and the OP is innocent until proven guilty, and is afforded the right to fight the charge in court. There are other options, but that is always his right.

You're the one that started whining about "be an adult" and attacking the OP for daring to even think about fighting the criminal charge against him.
The part that I bolded explains a lot. Apparently, for you, morality and ethics and personal responsibility are very fluid concepts that only apply when you think they should.

Personal responsibility exists and makes sense in every situation. You do something wrong, you get caught, you are personally responsible for the consequences you experience. That's not only not a hard concept to grasp, it's a basic fact of life. No matter who else you try to put the blame on, the bottom line is, you did something wrong, you knew you were doing something wrong at the time, you got caught, there are consequences that are a direct result of your personal decision to do it. Not anybody else's.

That holds no matter what the decision is. Adults are responsible for the decisions they make and the consequences of those decisions. Wait. Everyone's responsible for that, adults acknowledge that and don't try to blame others.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Damn, you people act like dude dude beat his grandma and stole her cat. He simply went over a couple of miles and got pulled over. I doubt he was endangering anyone and no need to come down hard on him.

Anyways, take defensive driving because it will do wonders for your insurance. No need to fight it because 9 out of 10; you will lose. My friend was pulled over for going 1 mile over and still had to pay. As annoying as it is; it's the truth. I'm all for increasing the speed limit on highways because frankly; 70 is too low for me and I feel as if I'm getting nowhere going those speeds staring at bland, dry scenery.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Accept and admit the wrongdoing. Obey the rules next time. There is a very good reason for traffic tickets and warnings. No one will give you better advice than that.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Why call the judge and offer to pay a fine for a non-moving violation and HOPE he agrees?

For the 100th time, just do deferred adjudication. You don't even have to show up for court, you can do it all over the phone or Internet / mail. You pay court costs and move on with your life, and the ticket stays off your record.

Why not do that instead of having to beg the judge and hope he's a nice guy?
I have had good luck hiring an attorney to fight a ticket too, it costs about the same as the ticket it self and isnt a money saver nor reduce your insurance as defensive driving does. However, since you can only take Defensive driving once every 2 years I believe, it is a way to deal with a ticket if you get two that close together. I dont get them nearly that frequent. but my mother in law got three in one incident, none of them speeding but we hired an attorney and they dealt with it some how even with us now living in a Plano rather than Houston. She didnt have to appear in court.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascension View Post
Defensive driving is actually more than the cost of the ticket.

Then pay the ticket ... and the increase in insurance rates ... not to mention the new Texas driving infraction point system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas