Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times

Advertisements

Do the skycars drive themselves? All I can do is imagine all the drunk people who will be in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Do the skycars drive themselves? All I can do is imagine all the drunk people who will be in them.
For the most part yes. Skycar operators will drive the skycars on the ground but the flying will done by computers coordinated with air traffic control. They will probably be more safe than regular cars in this respect because an intoxicated driver of a skycar will only be driving short distances to and from the nearest VTOL area. Most of the trip will be handled by a completely sober computer.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM

185 posts, read 350,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
For the most part yes. Skycar operators will drive the skycars on the ground but the flying will done by computers coordinated with air traffic control. They will probably be more safe than regular cars in this respect because an intoxicated driver of a skycar will only be driving short distances to and from the nearest VTOL area. Most of the trip will be handled by a completely sober computer.
Kinda like an airplane?

But really, I see HSR more likely to happen than a FLYING CAR, or a driverless computer controlled car, or something along those lines.
After all, true HSR is a proven technology in revenue-making operations around the world. Flying cars are still conceptual (aka a fantasy ), and driverless cars are apparently in Google's prototype stage.
Even though comparing HSR to flying cars is like comparing a boat to a plane.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Kinda like an airplane?

But really, I see HSR more likely to happen than a FLYING CAR, or a driverless computer controlled car, or something along those lines.
After all, true HSR is a proven technology in revenue-making operations around the world. Flying cars are still conceptual (aka a fantasy ), and driverless cars are apparently in Google's prototype stage.
Even though comparing HSR to flying cars is like comparing a boat to a plane.
Yes, it is the same technology that modern passenger aircraft already use.

I agree that trains are a proven technology, they should be by now. In fact that is the basis of my argument against them. Trains were once the primary means of intercity travel in the U.S. but improving automobile and avaiation technology has made them much less useful.

And even the best HSR won't solve our traffic problems. Most of our traffic congestion is caused by people going from a nearby suburb to the city or from one suburb to another. HSR is designed to carry people from one city to another. Simply put, HSR "solves" a problem that doesn't exist; airplanes already handle that job much better than trains can. Planes are faster obviously than trains and more flexible ( for example, when New Orleans was flooded the airlines were able to divert flights to Baton Rouge for a while since many of New Orleans' residents where there. HSR would not have that option, it can only run where there are railroad tracks suitable for it already in place.) HSR will have most of the same issues as air travel, like getting to and from the train station and going through security. (some people argue that HSR will not have the same security as planes but I don't see why it wouldn't since terrorist can bomb trains just as easily as they can bomb planes.) The only advantage for the passenger of HSR over planes is that all baggage can be carry-on so you can skip the baggage claim, but that advantage comes with its own security concerns.

The skycar, if it can be developed, will make enormous improvements to transportation where they are most needed, suburb to city and suburb to suburb. And it will be developed, there are about 10 companies now working on a skycar prototype. The question is, will it be developed in the U.S. so that we benefit from its development and manufacture, or will be developed by the Israelis (x-Hawk) or the Brits (Parajet Skycar)?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
15 million won't even get you a second rank ball player.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
15 million won't even get you a second rank ball player.
No, but it will buy 1.5 million copies of Railroad Tycoon 3, if you simply must play with trains.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,430 times
I hope they are gonna use some of those hi-tech Japanese or French style 180mph trains. Or we might be looking at 80mph this....

I believe a more useful route would have been up the I-35 corridor, SA to Dallas. Then again Houston has way more billionaires both SA and Austin, as well as more commerce.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
I hope they are gonna use some of those hi-tech Japanese or French style 180mph trains. Or we might be looking at 80mph this....

I believe a more useful route would have been up the I-35 corridor, SA to Dallas. Then again Houston has way more billionaires both SA and Austin, as well as more commerce.
Yeah, that's the thing about Houston. It's where it needs to be. SA and Dallas'ites are always trying to get somewhere.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Kinda like an airplane?

Flying cars are still conceptual (aka a fantasy )
Maybe not for much longer. I found this today:

Quote:
Moller International (OTCBB: MLER) ("The Company") is pleased to announce that they have scheduled a demonstration flight of its ethanol-fueled M400 Skycar volantor. This invitation-only media event is scheduled to take place on October 11, 2011 in Vacaville, CA. Over 250 members of the domestic and international press have already indicated an interest in attending this historic flight.
Moller must be pretty confident to invite 250 members of the press to watch the Skycar fly.

Skycar Manufacturer Moller International Announces Scheduled Test Flight: Market Wire Business News - MSN Money

Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
What about fuel? It takes more energy to fly than to roll. And what happens if the engine craps out in the air? Is the computer programmed to make an emergency landing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas