Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM

267 posts, read 618,601 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am looking to move out of the KC area (which as ~2 million people) within the next few months. I've been to Dallas several times, but not Austin. I like Dallas, but it felt a little bit overwhelming, kind of like the next LA. Is this something I can get over with more exposure?

Some about me: I am 25, bisexual, single, and I work in the IT industry. I have a mechanical heart valve, and have to be on Coumadin. This makes me fairly tired, and wishing that things were closer together. I was pretty impressed with the overall density of the DFW metroplex. Here back home in Kansas (near KC, but on the better side I guess), much of the nightlife is really far away (such as Lawrence or downtown), and I don't want to drive far usually when I'm tired and drunk. Now people will suggest 'well why don't you live in KCMO?' except for the extreme trashiness of the city itself, whereas urban Dallas seemed a lot cleaner and better overall, and I imagine urban Austin would be just as great if not moreso. I am way more open to urban living in either of these places compared to back home.

I can be kind of a homebody sometimes, though I can be outgoing when other people are (then again, should I move to Minnesota if I'm going to be like that lol?). Maybe the reservation is due to the nature of people here, which really isn't that great.

Anyway, weather doesn't really matter, though I haven't been through a real winter since surgery (with this past winter being extremely mild and all), and I've dealt with the extreme heat both in Dallas, and here in Overland Park which has hit 100 degrees or so every day for the past two weeks. Traffic isn't really a dealbreaker, I hear Austin traffic is bad but Dallas was mostly a breeze to drive in.

I've noticed Dallas to have quite a few attractive women, but the gayborhood was rather offputting because of the treatment I received from the other gay guys. Is Austin's gay/bi scene friendlier?

Anyone else from JoCoKS or KC area in general move out to either of these cities? Your experiences? Were you glad you left? In either case, it would be a nice change to have your whole city be in ONE state, not two where the people on the other side bash the fact that you live on the 'wrong' side of State Line. It is that bad here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Moderator cut: orphaned, refers to deleted post

That's an extreme generalization.

The gays I know in Dallas are a mixed bag. Some are very nice and open and some are Moderator cut: language. That's no different than Austin or Houston.

The Metroplex is home to the largest gay community in the state and the resources for the gay community are numerous here. I have yet to meet a gay person who didn't love living in Dallas. Austin has a strong gay community too so it boils down to preference.

Last edited by Debsi; 07-30-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned, refers to deleted post

That's an extreme generalization.

The gays I know in Dallas are a mixed bag. Some are very nice and open and some are Moderator cut: language. That's no different than Austin or Houston.

The Metroplex is home to the largest gay community in the state and the resources for the gay community are numerous here. I have yet to meet a gay person who didn't love living in Dallas. Austin has a strong gay community too so it boils down to preference.
The difference between Austin's gay community and Dallas' is Dallas has gay neighborhoods whereas Austin does not. Austin's GLBT is scattered all over the city.

OP: You will have to visit Austin before you know what you want. Just going off of your stats, you sound more like an Austin type person, but like I said, you need to visit.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 AM

407 posts, read 829,607 times
Depends on what you're looking for. Austin is more of a 'young person's town', and Dallas is more uppity and stuffy.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
Is Austin's gay/bi scene friendlier?

The Austin scene is an inclusive scene, gay is normal. That is, nobody is gonna care if you're gay. Or, if you're not. Excepting of course, for the guys looking for that friend.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Is Austin's gay/bi scene friendlier?

The Austin scene is an inclusive scene, gay is normal. That is, nobody is gonna care if you're gay. Or, if you're not. Excepting of course, for the guys looking for that friend.
Dallas is very gay friendly. It's easily one of the most vibrant gay communities in the US.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Depends. Austin is very hip and trendy with a very lively music scene. Dallas is more stuffy and reserved, and far more Conservative (athough not as much as Fort Worth). And since you are BI, you will gain far more acceptance in Austin, which is much more open-minded than Dallas.

I would go as far to say Austin is the most liberal city in Texas, and in fact I often refer to it as 'The Berkeley of Texas'

Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
Depends. Austin is very hip and trendy with a very lively music scene. Dallas is more stuffy and reserved, and far more Conservative (athough not as much as Fort Worth). And since you are BI, you will gain far more acceptance in Austin, which is much more open-minded than Dallas.

I would go as far to say Austin is the most liberal city in Texas, and in fact I often refer to it as 'The Berkeley of Texas'
I don't think you're very well aquatinted with the gay scene in Dallas. It's extremely vibrant and overall gays are very well accepted in Dallas. I have many gay friends in Dallas and every single one loves it here.

What else would you expect from the 6th largest gay community in the US?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I don't think you're very well aquatinted with the gay scene in Dallas. It's extremely vibrant and overall gays are very well accepted in Dallas. I have many gay friends in Dallas and every single one loves it here.

What else would you expect from the 6th largest gay community in the US?
I'm just saying, with Dallas being in the heart of the Bible-Belt, it does have a far more closed-minded attitude as oppsed to Austin

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I'm just saying, with Dallas being in the heart of the Bible-Belt, it does have a far more closed-minded attitude as oppsed to Austin
The heart of the bible belt? Maybe once you leave the urban area. Not the city itself. Dallas (like Atlanta) may be in the geographic area of the bible belt, but both have huge gay communities. Both much larger than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas