Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

I think I originally posted this thread in the wrong subforum.
Dear friends,
I am a freshly minted US resident. I will be moving to the States in 3 weeks and unfortunately at the moment I have no job offers (I am targeting entry level finance jobs while being physically in Canada, maybe that's the case). Which city, Houston or Dallas, do you think is more preferable for a recent graduate who got a good university degree in a quantitative field and is looking for a not necessarily fancy first job? Thank you very much for any input. I've been reading this forum for several months and got really addicted to it:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM

419 posts, read 997,902 times
I think you have roughly equal chances of getting a job in both cities. They are 90% the same city, while there are some differences. There are more hedge funds, banks and other financial sector jobs in Dallas. It is the location of the Federal Reserve Bank. The city also has a very diverse economy, as a headquarters for nationwide airlines, retailers, electronics, telecommunications, foodstuffs, restaurants, and manufacturers. Public transportation is a bit better in Dallas -- but not by much. The rail line in Dallas is immense and spans a large distance. But you have to live and work near a station for it to really work out. Since our city isn't very compact, it will take some development around the stations to make it more of a viable option. Both cities are still heavily reliant on cars to get anywhere.

However, Houston's immense oil and gas industry also encourages finance related jobs in Houston. When oil is highly priced, Houston really hums along. Houston has an immense medical center, which I believe is the biggest in the United States and it is the location of Mission Control for NASA. Houston is obviously closer to the beach, although the beach it is near is not very pretty. Houston has a coastal climate -- which is more humid than Dallas. But some people like that.

Come down and spend a few days in each to see what you like better. There are a lot of threads on Houston vs. Dallas. Most of them just turn into juvenile pissing contests because the cities are so similar. It's that 10% difference that really comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by HOAPRESIDENT; 05-13-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: