Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Residents who try to board a bus while exposing their rumps can expect to get bumped.
The Fort Worth Transportation Authority is enforcing a new dress code that allows bus drivers to turn away passengers whose pants sag below the waist.
Several riders interviewed took the change in stride, while others said it was an affront to personal expression and hip-hop-influenced fashion. "People are still going to do it. They don't care about the rules," said Jesse Cardona, 20, who lives in north Fort Worth's Diamond Hill area. On Tuesday, Cardona wore baggy black shorts pulled up to the waist, although he said he occasionally wears pants that sag.

Granted I agree with the measures, but I think it does violates our constitutional rights "Freedom of Expression". My question is should these type of policies be enacted state-wide? Since the T is a public institution do they have the legal authority to enact such policies such as a ban on sagging.

T Bus anti-saggin ads

Read more: Fort Worth buses crack down on saggy pants | Local News | News from Fort Worth, Dallas, ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:57 PM

469 posts, read 886,593 times
This is insanely dumb. Bigger things to worry about.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
now if they could get those bus drivers to police the school dress codes...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The Fort Worth Transportation Authority is enforcing a new dress code that allows bus drivers to turn away passengers whose pants sag below the waist.
Granted I agree with the measures, but I think it does violates our constitutional rights "Freedom of Expression". My question is should these type of policies be enacted state-wide? Since the T is a public institution do they have the legal authority to enact such policies such as a ban on sagging.
It is highly questionable whether exposing ones crack expresses anything but bad taste. Freedom of Expression is NOT without limitations. It is legally recognized that Freedom of Expression can be limited when it is harmful or offensive.

It is not uncommon for there to be dress codes in public places and there are laws which prohibit the exposure of certain bodily parts, so this doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM

469 posts, read 886,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is highly questionable whether exposing ones crack expresses anything but bad taste. Freedom of Expression is NOT without limitations. It is legally recognized that Freedom of Expression can be limited when it is harmful or offensive.

It is not uncommon for there to be dress codes in public places and there are laws which prohibit the exposure of certain bodily parts, so this doesn't seem like much of a stretch.
Most people that sag, wear basketball shorts and boxers under. No body parts exposed.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
I can see bikers and runners wearing a lot more revealing, crotch hugging stuff (tights, etc). I can understand this to some degree, but what if a runner wearing tights steps on the bus? What do they say about that?

Kind of curious; the two extremes - loose wearing clothing versus someone who kind of bares it all in figure hugging tights (man or woman).

Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
I don't think this is a Free Speech/Expression issue at all. This is no different than having a dress code at a school/office or place of business (ex. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service).

Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
I'd wish The T would concern themselves with BETTER buses/routes and more alternative forms of transportation. Like, rail....

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
most people that sag, wear basketball shorts and boxers under. No body parts exposed.
most...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
It's a safety and sanitary issue. If one of those dumbasses trips and falls as he's getting off the bus, he's probably going to sue the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas