Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times

Advertisements

East Texas town furloughs police forece | kens5.com San Antonio

Absolutely wonderful news. Hopefully they will learn the true value of "efficient use of resources".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
This is dumb, from the mispelling of simple words like "force", to the fact that Alto is an extremely small town and may not even need much of a police force. Other than that, the mayor apparently thinks it's a bad move. What's so great about saving some money, but then have the community experience more crime, including robberies which cost people money? It makes no sense. And the OP is out of the country? WTF? Talking about grasping at straws...

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I have family who lives at Wells, and believe me, a part time policeman would suffice if they just want to fight crime. If however they wish to continue their speed traps on 69, then they need Alto's help.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,144 times
I've driven on 69 to Alto and then turn left on Highway 21 to go to Nacogdoches. Probably driven on it more than 20 times. I've only seen one local cop in Alto which was on Highway 21 camping out in the grass way outside of the city in the last few years.

As for Wells, I pretty much guessed it right. The last few times I went through Wells, there was never that one cop anymore. I was guessing they cut the police funding. Man, that town was such a speed trap. Seen that same cop every other time I pass Wells.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 AM

I know the route. I believe Wells doesn't even have a policeman, ah policewoman, anymore but its been several months since I heard that.

"Small-town Texas" is getting to be a bad place to drive through and especially if you are sporting out-of-State license plates. The towns who still have police forces are fiercely using them for revenue enhancement.

During these difficult economic times, I expect all towns and cities everywhere having budget problems to layoff police and fire protection first. Laying off librarians, park superintendents, teachers and bureaucrats won't get the tax increases they want.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Leander, Texas - 10-year-old boy gets ticket for not wearing seat belt properly

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Too bad they didn't name the officer in the online article.......what an idiot.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Um, folks? If you're speeding and get caught, it wasn't a "trap". It's called the predictable consequences of your own deliberately chosen actions. Own up and don't blame someone else for something that's your own danged fault.

I realize that's a concept that boggles a lot of folks' minds these days, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Um, folks? If you're speeding and get caught, it wasn't a "trap". It's called the predictable consequences of your own deliberately chosen actions. Own up and don't blame someone else for something that's your own danged fault.

I realize that's a concept that boggles a lot of folks' minds these days, but it doesn't make it any less true.
Two years ago I was ticketed in Muleshoe, Texas for not wearing a seatbelt. I had New Mexico license plates on my car because my primary home is in New Mexico. I admit the guilt but when I phoned the Judge in Muleshoe to find out what my ticket was going to cost, she first asked me if I lived in Muleshoe. Although I owned a home in town, I told her no because I did not actually live in it. She slapped me with the highest ticket cost allowed in Texas for a seat belt violation. This was my first traffic ticket of any sort in over forty years of driving.

Worse, I have a friend who lives in Muleshoe who tells me his DWIs in Bailey County were never reported to Austin and did not end up on his driving record.

Regarding Muleshoe police read this: http://amarillo.com/stories/053003/new_muleshoe.shtml

One year ago in Littlefield, Texas I had a local Sheriff's car fall right in behind me as I turned off U.S. 84 into the Town. Again, I still had the New Mexico tags on my car (legally). He began following me not 15 feet off my rear bumper. I was not speeding nor had I committed any violations. Just as the Sheriff's red lights flashed on to pull me over, a (drunk?) pulled out of a side driveway between me and the officer's car nearly causing the Deputy to broadside him. The Deputy went after the drunk although I feel it must have been a hard decision to go after a local drunk driver rather than me with the New Mexico tags.

For the past five years, I have been stopped three times in Sweetwater, Texas with my trailer and truck with New Mexico tags.

There is no doubt that Texas uses its law enforcement people as revenue hounds and that in many cases the applications are prejudiced toward out-of-staters. My experiences and two family members now retired from Texas law enforcement says they do.

I sold my property in Muleshoe since the incident with the Judge and I never go through Littlefield if I can help. I've never owned property in Littlefield but my 2011 Muleshoe tax rate is 3.2334% down from last year. It's usually closer to 3.5%. Keep in mind that Bailey County (Muleshoe) also has a stiff annual county property tax on newer vehicles. Parmer County (Littlefield) used to have this tax as well. Both towns stay broke and have been for the over forty years I have been on the High Plains.

Now I come from a family of County sheriffs, police officers and even FBI agents. I am as pro-law enforcement as the next fellow. In fact, I used to wear a uniform and a badge. I am sorry to say it is you who needs to "own up" and not place all the blame on drivers who get caught in small town speed traps. There is definitely dishonesty in some local Texas governments and many do use their law enforcement in dubious and prejudicial ways.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

You know what's a concept that seems to boggle your mind? Inappropriate speed limits for the purpose of revenue generation.

You don't think that exists? Well, hey, I've got a piece of oceanfront property in North Dakota I'd love to sell you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas