Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 11,349 times

Advertisements

My friend and her fiance are fresh graduates and both have job offers from same employer with these three choices: Lubbock, Abilene or Longview. Can you please tell me which city is better to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
I have only been to Abilene and like it, but really, your friends need to visit the cities if they can. What people like here, may be totally different than what they want.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,230 times
I've lived in both Lubbock and Longview and spent plenty of time in Abilene, so I can confidently say that none is better, all are worse. Each one has something to offer that the other two do not, and each lack something the others have.

What is most important to you: schools, nightlife, climate, cost of living, or aesthetics?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
I would go with Lubbock, easily, but obviously it depends on what the couple's preferences are.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
I'm not too familiar with Longview, but I live in Lubbock and am very familiar with Abilene. The question might be easier to answer if you give more specifics.

I'll let others comment on Longview. It seems okay to me. All I can say is that it's very green and very humid.

Abilene is the smallest of the three. It has three Christian universities in town. It's fairly historic, but a bit on the run-down side. Being an old cowtown, it has a uniquely Texan vibe. It's dry compared to much of Texas, but it's still fairly green most of the year, and it has a range of hills/mesas south of town that add to the scenery of the area.

Lubbock is the largest and by far offers the most of the three cities. It has Texas Tech, which does quite a bit to make it more vibrant and interesting. I'd venture to say that it has more young professionals than the other two. The surrounding scenery is the least attractive of the three (flat cotton fields), but the city itself is very clean and nicely landscaped. The biggest drawback IMO is its relative isolation, being 5-6 hours from the I-35 corridor.

All three are very conservative and family-friendly.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

Abilene is the smallest of the three.
Actually, Longview is, by far, the smallest of the three (about 80,000 to Abilene's 117,000 and Lubbock's 230,000). What Longview does offer that neither Lubbock nor Abilene can is location, being an hour west of Shreveport and two hours east of DFW and the entire area (Longview-Tyler-Shreveport) is poised for huge economic growth. Both Lubbock and Abilene have isolation in common, each being the metropolitan hub of their respective areas.

Another big difference is climate; Abilene and Lubbock both are in a dry, almost semi-arid area whereas Longview is in the humid Piney Woods. All the things you hear about "dry heat" are true; I will take 100º at 20% humidity over 85º at 90%. If one is not accustomed to it, it can be shocking.

All three have "run down" parts, but Abilene's is unique in the sense that while Lubbock and Longview have grown and prospered, Abilene has remained fairly stagnant, reporting negligible population growth between 2000 and 2010. It is because of this that, if I were in your friend's shoes, it would be the last on my list. Choosing between the other two would be tough; I was born and raised in Lubbock and the heart always wants to go home, but I have family in East Texas (which would likely be the deciding factor leading me to choose Longview).

That could be another thing to consider; you did not mention where they are from, but keep in mind that Lubbock and Abilene are, as mentioned before, way out there away from everything.

My final suggestion would be to take the time to visit all three, spend at least a few days in each and go with what your heart and mind tell you. Either way, good luck to your friend.

Last edited by lothartheterrible; 06-04-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Longview also has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. It's not really conservative for the area. The crime rate isn't great but I think as long as you stay out of the ghetto, you won't have any problems. I never did. Housing is really cheap too, especially if you go out of town. I can't tell you much about the schools as I don't have kids and don't really care which ones are good and bad.

I've lived in the Longview area for almost all my life, so if you have more specific questions, I can probably answer them.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothartheterrible View Post
Actually, Longview is, by far, the smallest of the three (about 80,000 to Abilene's 117,000 and Lubbock's 230,000). What Longview does offer that neither Lubbock nor Abilene can is location, being an hour west of Shreveport and two hours east of DFW and the entire area (Longview-Tyler-Shreveport) is poised for huge economic growth. Both Lubbock and Abilene have isolation in common, each being the metropolitan hub of their respective areas.

Another big difference is climate; Abilene and Lubbock both are in a dry, almost semi-arid area whereas Longview is in the humid Piney Woods. All the things you hear about "dry heat" are true; I will take 100º at 20% humidity over 85º at 90%. If one is not accustomed to it, it can be shocking.

All three have "run down" parts, but Abilene's is unique in the sense that while Lubbock and Longview have grown and prospered, Abilene has remained fairly stagnant, reporting negligible population growth between 2000 and 2010. It is because of this that, if I were in your friend's shoes, it would be the last on my list. Choosing between the other two would be tough; I was born and raised in Lubbock and the heart always wants to go home, but I have family in East Texas (which would likely be the deciding factor leading me to choose Longview).

That could be another thing to consider; you did not mention where they are from, but keep in mind that Lubbock and Abilene are, as mentioned before, way out there away from everything.

My final suggestion would be to take the time to visit all three, spend at least a few days in each and go with what your heart and mind tell you. Either way, good luck to your friend.
Sorry, I should have explained. I was going by metro population. The Longview Metro is larger than Abilene's.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The Longview Metro is larger than Abilene's.
Abilene has a metro?!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:33 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I kinda like Lubbock the best, but who knows what they will like. Which job pays the most, that could help make up their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas