Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how damage was done to Fort Davis itself by the recent big fire which came from the Marfa area and ended up burning 314,000+ acres (490 square miles)? I love the place and would like to visit it again.

I read that the fire moved that 21 miles from Marfa to Ft Davis in 30 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,814,423 times
A few park rangers houses were burned down.

State parks wildfire damage tallied | KXAN.com

Quote:
At Davis Mountains State Park, the prognosis is better.
"The fire got right up to the administrative buildings and the Indian Lodge , which is one of our premiere facilities out there in Fort Davis," Boruff said. "The fire got literally within feet of those facilities before it was extinguished. So in that regard, we dodged a bullet out there.
"Ultimately, it was about 350,000 acres of land that burned in west Texas. The state park became the central hub for that firefighting effort. At one point, we were hosting 500 firefighters from agencies all across the state and organizations that came from out of state to help us fight the fire," he said. "So it really served a purpose other than what it normally does but we're back to business as usual now."
Of course, there was a toll on wildlife in the parks.
"Our biologists have found some deer and some antelope that were lost in the fires," said department executive director Carter Smith. "Certainly, we've found evidence of snakes and tortoises and some smaller mammals that were not able to escape the fires' impacts.
But those losses were isolated and most of the wildlife population was able to escape the flames and smoke.
Call them if you need to know more. TPWD: Davis Mountains State Park

Old 06-08-2011, 01:04 AM

Yes, I've read most of that after searching for it (thanks anyway). But I haven't been able to find anything about the town of Fort Davis itself.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM

578 posts, read 1,220,544 times
I was out in that area a few weeks ago...the town is fine. It skirted the south and east sides of town. The park is fine, mountains on the fort Davis side were burnt but the area around the main road was fine. Almost all the trees out to the west by the observatory were fine, looked like they were able to "back burn" that area with a low heat fire to help stop the fire, and also saved the trees. North of town was extensively burnt, but that area is mainly grass and yuccas, so once it rains, it will be better than before. Didn't go on the road between fort Davis and alpine, but that area looked bad from afar...I think that is where most of the house loss occured. The main part of town looked like it has for as long as I can remember....

Old 06-10-2011, 12:28 AM

I'm glad the town is okay, but it's sad that a fire can get out of control so easily. I heard that 65-mph winds were pushing the fire at about 40 mph from Marfa to Fort Davis. That would be hard to defend against.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,039,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm glad the town is okay, but it's sad that a fire can get out of control so easily. I heard that 65-mph winds were pushing the fire at about 40 mph from Marfa to Fort Davis. That would be hard to defend against.
Catman, I sent you a DM with additional info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas