Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever tried Texas Wine?
Yes! 6 30.00%
Yes and I love it! 11 55.00%
No 2 10.00%
They don't grow grapes in Texas! 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,577 times

Advertisements

Texas wines have come a long way in the past 15-20 years. I remember when most all Texas wines were like trying to drink kerosene, LOL! I'm not too familiar with the wineries in East Tex, but some of the Hill Country wineries are really coming along. I would recommend trying some of the Becker wines. (I don't work for them--I've just been an oenophile for close to 30 years). Some of the first wines in Texas were made by the monks who settled in the El Paso area, ca. 400 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I didn't know there were east Texas wines either but I will pick up a few bottles if I get back over there.

My brother and sister have been wanting me to come back to east Texas for some time now. I just can't take that humidity any more. At sunrise this morning I was installing a new metal roof on one of my barns out here near Lubbock and I thought, "Now if this was Lufkin, I would be soaking wet and miserable."
I never could tolerate the humidity. When some of my family went to ET for teaching jobs (Jasper, Kirbyville, etc.), they were totally miserable, and couldn't wait to leave.

I visited them, and I felt like I was in another world--so different from West Texas in all ways.

The humidity and the heavy tree cover bothered me (and them) no end. I felt like I was going to SMOTHER.

Then there are those from ET and heavily wooded places who freak out when they get to West Texas...and find all the empty open space, LOL!! They find it desolate, and I love it. I always will!

Before my time is up, I will most likely end up back home.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I never could tolerate the humidity. When some of my family went to ET for teaching jobs (Jasper, Kirbyville, etc.), they were totally miserable, and couldn't wait to leave.

I visited them, and I felt like I was in another world--so different from West Texas in all ways.

The humidity and the heavy tree cover bothered me (and them) no end. I felt like I was going to SMOTHER.

Then there are those from ET and heavily wooded places who freak out when they get to West Texas...and find all the empty open space, LOL!! They find it desolate, and I love it. I always will!

My brother loves it out here and has visited numerous times since we bought this farm two years ago. However, I think he would have a problem getting his wife to leave east Texas.

Yes, east Texas is on a different planet than west Texas but not just because of the weather. When I was a kid, Lufkin was somewhat isolated out there between Houston and Dallas. Now I just call it the Houston/Dallas Metroplex.

But back to Texas wines, when I bought this place it had a single, unconnected, 35-foot hurricane fence out in back. I could never figure out what it was for but maybe I should put some grape vines on it. This year though I am just trying to keep my new pear and cherry trees alive in this heat and dryness.

I agree on spending one's last days on the South Plains. I plan to do just that.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:

The humidity right now is 33% here in Tyler. Pretty average for Eastern Texas. El Paso is sitting at 7% humidity at 1:30 in the afternoon, but I would imagine its a very "dry" heat & you'd feel like you were cooking in an oven instead of soaking in a sauna. There is no "better" heat IMO. You're uncomfortable regardless.

We've been dry as a bone for the past several months.

Trees provide shade, beauty, privacy, & filter the air. I love it here & wouldn't have it any other way!

Most vegetation, plants, trees, etc. thrive in humid environments anyways & I would imagine grapes would be no different. Sure West Texas would be great if you're into raising cactus or growing your own peyote.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-17-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,772 times
I tried two or three east Texas wines at a tasting even here in Dallas not long ago, but I can't remember the names of the wineries right now. All of them were ok, but not outstanding. I am a big fan of Llano Estacado wines, though. I usually keep a couple of bottles of their Signature Red "Texas Table Wine" on hand. Good stuff!

Quote:
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I used to feel that way whenever I would leave southeast New Mexico to visit my grandparents in Arkansas as a kid. My parents would go on and on about how beautiful it was there and all I could think about was how much I hated not being able to get out from under all the trees. Ha ha.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Some of the Texas made wines offered at Tyler's very own Kiepersol Estates.

Becker Vineyards
Briar Creek
Chisolm Trail Winery
Dixie Wine Company
Fairhaven Vineyards
Fall Creek Vineyards
Grape Creek Vineyards
Haak Vineyards & Winery
Homestead Winery
Llano Winery
Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards
KE Bushman's Winery & Celebration Center
Kiepersol Estates Winery
McPherson Cellars
Messina Hof Winery
Pillar Bluff Vineyards
Pleasant Hill Winery
Red 55 Winery
Red Road Vineyard & Winery
Sister Creek Vineyards
Sweet Dreams Winery
Tara Vineyard & Winery
Texas Roads Winery
Wimberly Valley Winery
Woodrose Winery

Kiepersol Enterprises :: Land of Beef and Wine

Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Some of the first wines in Texas were made by the monks who settled in the El Paso area, ca. 400 years ago!
El Paso's lower valley had a large grape growing business and at least one winery as late as the pre-WWII days. My granddad's house in the lower valley was covered in grape vines - big fat seedy juicy concords.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The humidity right now is 33% here in Tyler. Pretty average for Eastern Texas. El Paso is sitting at 7% humidity at 1:30 in the afternoon, but I would imagine its a very "dry" heat & you'd feel like you were cooking in an oven instead of soaking in a sauna. There is no "better" heat IMO. You're uncomfortable regardless.

We've been dry as a bone for the past several months.

Trees provide shade, beauty, privacy, & filter the air. I love it here & wouldn't have it any other way!

Most vegetation, plants, trees, etc. thrive in humid environments anyways & I would imagine grapes would be no different. Sure West Texas would be great if you're into raising cactus or growing your own peyote.
Yep, Texas is going to have one type of heat or another....sauna or oven. I don't like heat, period, but at least in dry I don't get pounding headaches and the terrible drain of energy I feel in very humid environments.

It's all what you're used to.

Trees are very nice...as long as they don't line the road on both sides where I can't see anything but the road as I drive. I like to control where the trees are, and if there is a canopy overhead that shades everything...and makes it dark and humid....I start getting claustrophobia FAST.

Grapes are grown in very dry environments as well as humid.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times
Wine grapes in the state don't grow well outside of West Texas due to disease. Apparently people have been trying to remedy that, but without much success.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,543 times
Quote:
Trees are very nice...as long as they don't line the road on both sides where I can't see anything but the road as I drive. I like to control where the trees are, and if there is a canopy overhead that shades everything...and makes it dark and humid....I start getting claustrophobia FAST.
I find this absolutely bizarre. I'm one of the ones who finds the deserts barren. I don't mind it for a few days, but it'd be hard to live there. I need my trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas