Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 PM

78 posts, read 247,411 times

Advertisements

McAllen has the historic Casa Del Palmas Renaissance hotel, I don't know if Brownsville or Harlingen have operating historic hotels. Be careful when you cross; The Zetas recently invaded Reynosa and Matamoros again to try and take control of the Golfo Territory, so there has been a lot of recent violence and much more to come.

Zetas bring violent night to Matamoros | zetas, mexican, colonia - TheMonitor.com (http://www.themonitor.com/articles/zetas-51806-mexican-colonia.html - broken link)
Afternoon street battles disrupt western Reynosa | reynosa, afternoon, monday - TheMonitor.com (http://www.themonitor.com/articles/reynosa-51390-afternoon-monday.html - broken link)

Also know that the number of casualties stated is not accurate. The military reports low casualties to hide a lot of what is going on. Friends told me last month of a street battle in Reynosa that killed 89; it never made the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
I would check out McAllen there's plenty to do if your into bars/clubs there's the 17th street entertainment district it's kinda dead during the week alteast when I was there but on the weekend it's pretty busy.

Let's Meet in McAllen | The Texas Tropics | Rio Grande Valley | Ride, Sleep, Meet and Play in McAllen | South Texas Vacation & Fun | McAllen, Texas

17th Street

Downtown McAllen - Your Guide to Night Life in McAllen, Texas

Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Good links from the last two posters! First of all, I would not recommend you go to Mexico for any reason whatsoever Borderland Beat Those of us who live here don't even go. Nuevo Progreso is basically a couple of blocks of dentists, pharmacies, street vendors, and beggars. And since all the disruption has occured, some of them have become quite aggressive in selling their wares, since Americans have been staying away in droves. Don't even think about spending the night!
If you want to see a border city, just go to downtown Brownsville. Downtown McAllen is somewhat similar, but is undergoing a renewal with new restaurants and clubs opening in the area--taking away some of that "border main street" ambiance.
There really aren't any first rate resort properties in the Valley--the aforementioned Casa de Palmas is about 40 years past its prime, and really isn't a destination hotel. I truly try not to be negative about the valley, but it is not really an American tourist-friendly area. The primary focus is on retail, with Mexican nationals being the primary demographic.
The Valley has its charms--but if I were making a trip from Michigan to Texas, I think I would vote for San Antonio. You would have a wide variety of things to choose from--Sea World, Fiesta Texas (6 Flags), the Riverwalk (Alamo area), historic missions, theater, museums, etc. Just north of SA you can find the Hill Country, with German culture and many wineries, then you could go a little east and experience Austin and all it has to offer. (and don't forget Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels!)
If you want to go to the beach, it's not that far from SA to Corpus Christi, or even Galveston Island and Houston, which is a whole destination in itself.
Be sure to order a Texas Travel Guide--it has lots of info that could help you plan a trip to our Great State of Texas.
BTW--the previous post regarding bougainvillea in Harlingen--those plants grow everywhere around here--hedges, pruned as trees, cascading over walls, etc. And the colorful "flowers" are actually flower "bracts". The flowers are barely noticeable!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I agreee with Hellpaso: there is NO reason to go across to Mexico these days. It is just too dangerous!

If you want to see what Mexico used to look like, go to Mi Tierra in downtown San Antonio, and browse the Mexican market that surrounds it. MUCH safer and it also saves you the long drive!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM

19 posts, read 107,661 times
Thanks Guys - I really wanted to head over the border for a few nights, but I had a feeling that the response was going to be "Are you crazy?"

Hopefully things get better over the next couple of years so we can head over there again...would hate to see such a wonderful place be ruined by violence.

I've always been intrigued by the "off the beaten path" vacation destinations. Being from Michigan, the most likely vacation destinations are the Floridas, Carolinas, Californias of America - I've always been intrigued by the RGV and what it has to offer.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
If you want off the beaten path Mexico then go to Cabo...

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Cabo_San_Lucas

The border towns are really just that... border towns. They have a market place which is where and for what most Americans go. As Christie P suggests, go to Mi Tierra in downtown San Antonio.

If it's Mexican food you're looking for, you'll find it in any major Texas city and most smaller cities and towns. But we call it Mex/Tex, which you won't get across the border. And that stuff you get across the border is like something you'd get at a 2 star diner, it's just Mexican hash dressed up to give you an international experience... it's not.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
In McAllen: Renaissance Casa de Palmas.
It has a nice "old town" feel and is still relatively upscale. Nice restaurant and is close to the downtown business district.

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel: Mcallen Distinctive Hotels

Maybe someone else can comment on others in the other areas

Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM

there's also Laredo which is about a 3 hour drive from San Antonio

Welcome to Laredo, Texas - Rediscover our Flavor - Hotels, Shopping, Restaurants & Night Life

La Posada Hotel : World-Class Accommodations | Award-Winning Restaurants | Legendary Service

Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
Yes...to anyone thinking of going accross the border to the Mexico side:
"Are you crazy?" is the right response.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM

It's not in South Texas but El Paso could be interesting it's on the border out in West Texas problem is it's about a 10 hour drive from San Antonio unless you fly out there.

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau | El Paso, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas