Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: housto san antonio dallas austin fort worth or elpaso
houston 30 29.41%
san antonio 21 20.59%
dallas 18 17.65%
austin 15 14.71%
fort worth 13 12.75%
el paso 5 4.90%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times

Advertisements

I'd say Austin has the greater downtown area with the best energy and people traffic. People seem to think best downtown should mean "Who has the biggest skyscrapers?"

Houston and Dallas' downtowns look cool on a postcard, but they are essentially giant office parks surrounded by freeways that are ghost towns after 6:00 p.m. The real center of nightlife for Dallas is the Uptown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I'd say Austin has the greater downtown area with the best energy and people traffic. People seem to think best downtown should mean "Who has the biggest skyscrapers?"
That's true...

But I'd put San Antonio's downtown over Austin's.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post

Houston and Dallas' downtowns look cool on a postcard, but they are essentially giant office parks surrounded by freeways that are ghost towns after 6:00 p.m. The real center of nightlife for Dallas is the Uptown area.
I agree with what you've said on Austin's DT vs Dallas or Houston, but both of those metros are trying to re-urbanize with a bunch of mixed-use buildings offering more desirability for nightlife/walking pedestrians. It'll be interesting to see how those changes play out over the next decade or two.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
I really love San Antonio. But it is more touristy to me than a place to live... at least the central areas.

As to downtowns... the hot/trendy areas of Manhattan, London, Paris for example, aren't their "downtown" either. Just sayin'...

Old 09-10-2015, 11:33 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
1.downtown - Houston for skyline and cultural districts, Austin for nightlife, San Antonio for tourism attractions

2.climate - El Paso.... the others are all similar

3.skyline - Houston

4.attractions - What kind? For tourism, probably San Antonio

5.food - Houston

6.culture - Houston overall, San Antonio for history, Austin for music fests, Fort Worth for cowboy/western

7.crime - El Paso
I agree with this one as well. I voted San Antonio as it is my preference, I am just surprised it out voted trendy Austin and upscale Dallas.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwil7l View Post
Which of these cities is the best for
1.downtown
2.climate
3.skyline
4.atractions
5. Food
6.culture
7.crime
I personaly like san antonio which is why I'm moving there. No wonder its texas most visited city if I would rank it I would say
Downtown-Houston its the largest and has the best
Skyline-Houstin it is the biggest and the other cities skylines pale compare to it
Climate-Austin has a more mild climate compare to the other 5 which have extremes
Atractions- San Antonio easily has the most it has the alamo texas most visited land mark and the riverwalk 2nd most visited it has sea world and 2 six flags amuesment parks also the towers of america
Food - 5way tie houston has sea food san antonio and el pas have mexican food and dallas fort worth have southern
Culture-san antonio very strong culture
Crime el paso voted 3rd safest city in the country
1.Downtown: Austin, Fort Worth, and San Antonio are all on par in my opinion. Take your pick.
2.Climate: They're pretty much the same. Small differences but that would be up to each person's preference.
3.Skyline: Dallas & Houston (Austin is catching up).
4.Attractions: I agree with texastitan and say DFW unless your more into outdoor activities then it has to be the Hill Country.
5.Food: Overall, Houston.
6.Culture: Probably San Antonio because of the depth of it's history, not too informed on El Paso. Fort Worth is newer but it does a really good job of cherishing it's past.
7.Crime: El Paso

Edit: Noticed this is a poll thread, so Looking back it looks like Ft Worth got the most hits on my list so there you go.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Wow, ANOTHER "Houston vs Dallas vs Austin vs San Antonio vs El Paso vs Fort Worth" thread. How original!! Like the other 500 of them weren't already enough.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:48 PM

657 posts, read 739,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Wow, ANOTHER "Houston vs Dallas vs Austin vs San Antonio vs El Paso vs Fort Worth" thread. How original!! Like the other 500 of them weren't already enough.
It was dying and going to the bottom until you bumped it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas