Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times

Advertisements

I saved one of the pics to my hard drive. It's 43 bytes, definitely not enough for a reasonable size image. So my browser is indeed able to download something, but it's not a complete image.

Also, all three are identical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Default Just to mention...

There really isn't much I can add to what has already been said and noted, except to confirm that alligators -- for all their "bad reputation" -- are not aggresive critters (American crocodiles are the ones to really worry about, and they only exist in far southern Florida)

American crocodile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No question, alligators conjure up images something like sharks... but I don't really know of any documented "alligator attacks" in Texas, and definitely including Caddo Lake, where we having been going for the past decade or so.

They are (believe it or not) very shy and reclusive on land habitats, and peaceful and docile in the water. The only time they really get aggresive is if one disturbs their nest and young...but that is true of any potentially dangerous animal (hell, including human beings!). So, as several have mentioned above, chances are, unless one goes out actually hunting for them (and/or intentionally looking for an encounter), the chances are relatively remote to even see one.

On a personal note, the only time I actually ever saw one at Caddo was on a canoe trip with my kids when they were young... and it didn't pay us the slightest bit of attention. In fact, we got some video of it (that is a funny story in itself, which I will have to tell another time...).

Anyway, bottom line is, one is much more likely to be struck by lightning than attacked by an alligator!

Well, speaking of Caddo Lake...that is where we are headed tomorow, so I better hit the sack and finish packing up. Hope all my Texas friends had a great Fourth of July weekend! I will almost certainly be off line until next weekend when we return, so y'all all have a great week! And, if we get any good gator photos? I will be sure and share them!

God Bless Texas. G'night, my friends!

Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
There really isn't much I can add to what has already been said and noted, except to confirm that alligators -- for all their "bad reputation" -- are not aggresive critters (American crocodiles are the ones to really worry about, and they only exist in far southern Florida)

American crocodile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No question, alligators conjure up images something like sharks... but I don't really know of any documented "alligator attacks" in Texas, and definitely including Caddo Lake, where we having been going for the past decade or so.

They are (believe it or not) very shy and reclusive on land habitats, and peaceful and docile in the water. The only time they really get aggresive is if one disturbs their nest and young...but that is true of any potentially dangerous animal. So, as several have mentioned above, chances are, unless one goes out actually hunting for them (and/or intentionally looking for an encounter), the chances are relatively remote to even see one.

On a personal note, the only time I actually ever saw one at Caddo was on a canoe trip with my kids when they were young... and it didn't pay us the slightest bit of attention. In fact, we got some video of it (that is a funny story in itself, which I will have to tell another time...).

Anyway, bottom line is, one is much more likely to be struck by lightning than attacked by an alligator!

Well, speaking of Caddo Lake...that is where we are headed tomorow, so I better hit the sack and finish packing up. Hope all my Texas friends had a great Fourth of July weekend! I will almost certainly be off line until next weekend when we return, so y'all all have a great week! And, if we get any good gator photos? I will be sure and share them!

God Bless Texas. G'night, my friends!
Amen to that! Happy 4th to you as well! Have fun at Caddo Lake!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I'm at home and can't see the pics. Furthermore, when I quote his posts, it doesn't even show the tags for the pics.

Nevermind that last part. It doesn't even show the tags quoting posts where I can see the pics. But I'm not behind a proxy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I'm the one who said they can't see the pics, and there is no reason I can think of why that would be so. I see CaptRn's just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I saved one of the pics to my hard drive. It's 43 bytes, definitely not enough for a reasonable size image. So my browser is indeed able to download something, but it's not a complete image.

Also, all three are identical.
I created an album at imgur.com with Newbe10's 3 pics.

Photo Album - Imgur

Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Thanks Bo!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
MMMM........... Alligators...

taste pretty good fried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas