Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Hmph, when I said the same thing, people jumped on me and had the nerve to get offended. Well I declare! See, I hinted in another thread that one of the main reasons why a lot of the white-flight promised land utopia suburbs of DFW have been so popular with blue state conservative transplants is because the other sunbelt megacities of Houston and Atlanta are too integrated with blacks throughout the metro for their taste. The segregated nature of the farther out Dallas burbs reminds them of home in the Midwest or Northeast where us Negros are out of sight, out of mind. Sure, there are a lot more predominantly black parts of Atlanta, but many of their northern whiter burbs still have a larger black population than many of the whiter Dallas burbs.

Yeah, I said it!
That might offend some people but it's essentially true. I've lived in Texas nearly 30 years and work in the energy industry. Lots of jobs either in DFW or Houston areas but I chose jobs in Houston every time. I have a mixed black/white family and wanted a nice family suburb, middle to upper-middle class that was well-integrated for the kids - not just black/white but black/white/Asian/latino - and you find that in the Houston area (esp SW/FTB) way more than in the Dallas area.

In fairness to Dallas/Ft.W., I think the people are great and just because a black family moves into an all-white neighborhood doesn't mean that they'll have any problems. The place has come a long way in recent years. It's just a personal preference that my kids grow up not even having to take race into account when making friends or being treated differently in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 02:31 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I have never bashed any city in Texas. Because I find it stupid to bash a city that's in the same state as the city you live in. We should have pride for every part of Texas not just one. Let me stop before I get mad LOL
I don't bash any city in America because it is the country that I live in. I may cut down on certain aspects of a city but that certain aspect in and of itself is not enough to detract from the entire city as a whole.

I personally feel that Houston is like my 2nd home after Austin. It's unfortunate though that Houston doesn't really cater to things that I enjoy the way Austin does. And that is the only reason why I would never live in Houston. There is nothing there that interests my lifestyles. The diversity, the shopping, the sheer number of people living there is not reason enough for me to ever live there. I live in San Francisco now, and it's not my favorite city but I've chosen to live here because of my career choices.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I was only talking about the inner burbs of DFW (which to me is are the burbs South of George Bush and maybe just to the north of it in places). It gets whiter a lot faster going north from Fort Worth as opposed to Dallas. To help the visualization, here is a link:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Of course, if you look how it was in 2000 vs. today, its a pretty dramatic deference since then.

The outter burbs are extremely white as is the rest of North Texas.
Those projections are interesting. Fort Worth is about 10 years behind Dallas in demographics. Fort Worth overwhelmingly blue by 2020. Tarrant County will be blue at least by 2025.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Those projections are interesting. Fort Worth is about 10 years behind Dallas in demographics. Fort Worth overwhelmingly blue by 2020. Tarrant County will be blue at least by 2025.
Overwhelmingly blue? Fort Worth is the largest conservative/red city in this state. It might be battleground by that time (maybe) but not overwhelmingly blue, IMO. Tarrant County has a lot of conservative suburbs in it also. Dallas County doesn't.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
It is quite odd to me that people could, in fact, bash a city with the massive proportions of Houston. It is the largest city in the state, 4th in the nation, among the most diverse, international cities in the nation, ranked as a beta world class city, and a very reasonable cost of living. The job market is also very good.

I personally would prefer Dallas over Houston, but consider the fact that metro Houston has had over 1 MILLION people move to the area since 2000. That is quite a few people that obviously find some positive things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
After reading alot of threads I have come to the conclusion that Texans kind of dislike Houston or always have something negative to say about the city. Why is that?

I've been living in the Houston Metro for 5 years and i love it here. The best place in TX IMO. The downtown is the best downtown in the state(and the largest) and the Uptown area is amazing. Its close to the coast, nice weather(im use to the humidity) and great food with tons of wonderful folks. The people in the Houston area are some of the most down the earth people in the state IMO.

Who ever said Houston is ugly should slap themselves. IMO it has alot of geographic regions because of its location. You have a coastal feel, and in the northern parts you start to see hills, it pretty cool driving on 45 from Galveston to Willis/Huntsville you really see how nice it is. Not to mention the diversity. Very diverse and city really EMBRACES it.

I visited Dallas, SA, Austin, Elpaso, Ft worth and many more places but IMO Houston is the only city in TX that makes me feel welcomed by the people and makes me fell like im in a BIG CITY. Just wish it had better public transportation. If it had that it would compare it to NYC, CHi, LA.

Just wanted to know..WHY DO PEOPLE BASH THE LARGEST CITY IN TEXAS when they should be supporting it? What happen to that "TEXAS" pride?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
It is quite odd to me that people could, in fact, bash a city with the massive proportions of Houston. It is the largest city in the state, 4th in the nation, among the most diverse, international cities in the nation, ranked as a beta world class city, and a very reasonable cost of living. The job market is also very good.

I personally would prefer Dallas over Houston, but consider the fact that metro Houston has had over 1 MILLION people move to the area since 2000. That is quite a few people that obviously find some positive things.
I agree. There is some online rivalry between Dallas and Houston (mainly from people who live in neither city). But in real life, people who like one usually like the other too. (Even if they have a slight preference for the city they live in). This Dallasite is on record as saying Houston is a hellauva town.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Houston is not a very Texan city. I think that's part of the issue.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Houston is not a very Texan city. I think that's part of the issue.
I think it is a very Texan city. What is more Texan than oil?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM

491 posts, read 886,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
What is more Texan than oil?
Whataburger? Dairy Queen?

There's more to Houston than oil.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
That's what makes Houston so interesting... it's Texan but also EVERYTHING. There's two China Towns (Old Downtown and New Bellaire). There's the Hillcroft India-Town Strip. There's Euro-Yankee-Corporate-Road-Warror Town (Woodlands/Kingwood). There's Good Ol' Boy Town (Pasa-GitDown-Dina). There's Little El Salvador (Gulfton). There's established-TexMex-Town (Harrisburg/Navigation). There's Pill-Hill (rich black doctors and other professionals) MacGregor/Riverside. There's several total "Mish-mash Town" that in one neighborhood it's 25%white, 25% Hispanic, 25%black, 25% Asian - Sharpstown, SugarLand, Mo City.

Makes it very interesting in that you can meet and become friends with such a variety of sucessful smart people from all over the world and this country, find ANY kind of food at a small grocer or restaurant, learn about places to vacation from people who actually grew up there.

However, it's also amazing that the you can also live the great old Texas traditions like friendly neighbors, Friday Night Football (note the respectful capitalization!), welcoming churches (and synagogues and mosques!), cold icehouse beer, the planet's biggest rodeo in the NFL stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas