Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times

Advertisements

After reading alot of threads I have come to the conclusion that Texans kind of dislike Houston or always have something negative to say about the city. Why is that?

I've been living in the Houston Metro for 5 years and i love it here. The best place in TX IMO. The downtown is the best downtown in the state(and the largest) and the Uptown area is amazing. Its close to the coast, nice weather(im use to the humidity) and great food with tons of wonderful folks. The people in the Houston area are some of the most down the earth people in the state IMO.

Who ever said Houston is ugly should slap themselves. IMO it has alot of geographic regions because of its location. You have a coastal feel, and in the northern parts you start to see hills, it pretty cool driving on 45 from Galveston to Willis/Huntsville you really see how nice it is. Not to mention the diversity. Very diverse and city really EMBRACES it.

I visited Dallas, SA, Austin, Elpaso, Ft worth and many more places but IMO Houston is the only city in TX that makes me feel welcomed by the people and makes me fell like im in a BIG CITY. Just wish it had better public transportation. If it had that it would compare it to NYC, CHi, LA.

Just wanted to know..WHY DO PEOPLE BASH THE LARGEST CITY IN TEXAS when they should be supporting it? What happen to that "TEXAS" pride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,693 times
People who bash Houston normally just don't like the fact that it feels fundamentally different from other cities in Texas. It's more international, faster-paced, and diverse than other cities in Texas and some people don't like these characteristics. It also has some very legitimate negatives, such as crime, for many (not including myself), the weather, and for some, the aesthetic feel of the city. Personally, I feel like its far from an ugly city (though a bit litter infested), and its the city that's the best fit for me in Texas (even though I currently live in Austin), but many others feel the same way about other Texas cities, and have generally legitimate reasons for feeling the way they do.

A very small minority of those who dislike Houston do so for reasons related to pride - the Houston region is the most prosperous area of the state with the highest per capita GDP. Given its historic reputation as kind of a blue-collar town, that's likely a bitter pill for some to swallow. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
People who bash Houston normally just don't like the fact that it feels fundamentally different from other cities in Texas. It's more international, faster-paced, and diverse than other cities in Texas and some people don't like these characteristics. It also has some very legitimate negatives, such as crime, for many (not including myself), the weather, and for some, the aesthetic feel of the city. Personally, I feel like its far from an ugly city (though a bit litter infested), and its the city that's the best fit for me in Texas (even though I currently live in Austin), but many others feel the same way about other Texas cities, and have generally legitimate reasons for feeling the way they do.

A very small minority of those who dislike Houston do so for reasons related to pride - the Houston region is the most prosperous area of the state with the highest per capita GDP. Given its historic reputation as kind of a blue-collar town, that's likely a bitter pill for some to swallow. Just my $0.02.
thanks man good input..its just crazy how the state talks down about this place..and shy people away from it..i get that in every thread.

But i find that its a lot of Dallas folks who do it...

Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
But i find that its a lot of Dallas folks who do it...
Goodie. Another Dallas vs. Houston thread.

The rivalry is exacerbated on C-D. No one in Texas gets THAT cut-throat over a city in real life.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
Goodie. Another Dallas vs. Houston thread.

The rivalry is exacerbated on C-D. No one in Texas gets THAT cut-throat over a city in real life.
LOL that was not the route i was going for...but its true

Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
I have never bashed any city in Texas. Because I find it stupid to bash a city that's in the same state as the city you live in. We should have pride for every part of Texas not just one. Let me stop before I get mad LOL

Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I have never bashed any city in Texas. Because I find it stupid to bash a city that's in the same state as the city you live in. We should have pride for every part of Texas not just one. Let me stop before I get mad LOL
no need to get mad...go look at the threads and you will see wht im talkin about..

Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM

469 posts, read 886,513 times
there is plenty of bashing on Dallas and plenty of bashing on Houston. Get over it.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
After reading alot of threads I have come to the conclusion that Texans kind of dislike Houston or always have something negative to say about the city. Why is that?

I've been living in the Houston Metro for 5 years and i love it here. The best place in TX IMO. The downtown is the best downtown in the state(and the largest) and the Uptown area is amazing. Its close to the coast, nice weather(im use to the humidity) and great food with tons of wonderful folks. The people in the Houston area are some of the most down the earth people in the state IMO.

Who ever said Houston is ugly should slap themselves. IMO it has alot of geographic regions because of its location. You have a coastal feel, and in the northern parts you start to see hills, it pretty cool driving on 45 from Galveston to Willis/Huntsville you really see how nice it is. Not to mention the diversity. Very diverse and city really EMBRACES it.

I visited Dallas, SA, Austin, Elpaso, Ft worth and many more places but IMO Houston is the only city in TX that makes me feel welcomed by the people and makes me fell like im in a BIG CITY. Just wish it had better public transportation. If it had that it would compare it to NYC, CHi, LA.

Just wanted to know..WHY DO PEOPLE BASH THE LARGEST CITY IN TEXAS when they should be supporting it? What happen to that "TEXAS" pride?
I feel the exact same way. I have nothing against Houston at all. I just hate when people bash other cities like Fort Worth, Dallas, Austin, Waco, San Antonio, and many other cites for no reason. That's what really makes me mad.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
no need to get mad...go look at the threads and you will see wht im talkin about..
I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at the other people for bashing Houston. It's soooooo annoying. That's the only thing I have been hearing lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas