Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM

231 posts, read 811,707 times

Advertisements

avoid San Antonio at all cost

I think you have enough funds to move to either dallas or austin before finding a job. Dallas feels like a smaller version of Los angeles but Austin kinda feels more like california at times, generally speaking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,619,201 times
The only reason that I suggested the OP to find a job first even though there are fair amount of savings. I would hate to get settled in one city and then find out the perfect job is in another city but it would be a way to get your foot in the door as a "local".

Old 07-09-2011, 03:13 PM

491 posts, read 882,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
Dallas feels like a smaller version of Los angeles
That's a bit of a stretch, speaking as someone who has lived in both Dallas and L.A.

My advice to the OP would be (if you can afford it), take a trip to TX, rent a car, and check out the different cities firsthand before you make a decision. The REAL world and the world of C-D are quite often 2 very different places. Relocating is a major ordeal, and the wrong move can be a massive disappointment.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,619,201 times
when visiting Texas if you have time also visit San Antonio. Its not a bad place to live if you find the right type of job there. Just remember that Texas is not Cali. Not going to have the same stores,does not have the same type of Mexican food, so far does not have Joe's traders etc. But it does have some of the nicest folks around.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:41 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,084,678 times
LA doesn't compare to dallas whatsoever to me. i'm a native texan who now lives in LA. i would never live in dallas. cities i'd maybe go for if i were you: houston>austin>san antonio

Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 AM

156 posts, read 403,073 times
i lived in austin and liked it,its growing significantly and cost of living is higher.
my choice would be san antone.you have austin and houston at driving distance.
i loved texas when i was living there,most people are very friendly.(go to a walmart in texas and cali and youll see the difference)
its just something you have to see for yourself.pace of life slower,not as much shopping choices like cali. in cali theres 100s of grocery stores and shopping options.
traffic is bad but i still think its worse here(cali)id rather deal with texas traffic anyday than socal traffic.absoloutely!
if i had my choice it would be s.a. cost of living is lower and quality of life is good.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM

96 posts, read 244,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingeast11 View Post
I've lived in LA my whole life and recently was laid off my job and want to move to Texas. I need help deciding which city would be the best fit for me. I hate LA traffic, hate high taxes in CA, and hate how expensive housing is in LA - a 2 bedroom condo in a good part of LA costs 400-500k. I want to be able to live in a big 3000 sqft house.

About me:
- Single 29 years old
- Moderate political views
- Have about $115k saved up in my bank account
- Have a masters degree in computer science from UCLA and 6 years experience. Would be looking for a software developer job at a large company.
- Good nightlife would be nice, but that isn't as important to me as affordable housing and good prospects for finding a job in my field.

Which city would you all recommend for me?
Based on the information provided, sounds like you'd be Austin material.

But I wouldn't sleep on any of the other cities (DFW and Houston are far less sleepier, and have some of the amenities you are used to having).

Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,894,732 times
I would say Dallas it kind of the sister of L.A. it has the western vibe and the southern vibe it is a metro of 7 million if you don't find a job there I will be shock and don't forget Funky town having almost 800,000 has a lot to offer, good luck!!!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM

491 posts, read 882,567 times
L.A. honestly has no "sister city" in Texas, unless traffic, sprawl, gangs, and air pollution are the sole qualifying factors. Both Houston and Dallas qualify there.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,387,005 times
Houston is the closest you can get to Los Angeles in Texas. It is on the Gulf and has wide modern freeways. The other Texas cities have majority narrow and/or old freeways compared to Houston, though that is changing statewide. I definitely notice that fact on road trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: