Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 10,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I don't want to disagree with anyone, but I have to point out that Texas only gives you 30 days to obtain your Texas drivers license & vehicle registration.

Trust me, I'm a cop.
TGM
Hi Does this mean once you get a driver license, you wait 90 days and then you are considered a resident? I have done google searches on this and most results come back re: colleges and they all say 12 months. Are there different guidelines for a citizen?

Thanks for any help,
Lor68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM

77 posts, read 480,876 times
When I was stationed in Pensacola ,Florida, I drove back to Texas to renew my tags and DL. Oh and to grab several cases of Big Red. lol

Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor68 View Post
Hi Does this mean once you get a driver license, you wait 90 days and then you are considered a resident? I have done google searches on this and most results come back re: colleges and they all say 12 months. Are there different guidelines for a citizen?

Thanks for any help,
Lor68
You have to establish a year's residency (actually live in and have a verifiable address) in TX before qualifying for in-state tuition rates. And, yes there are different qualifying times (length of residence) for different things, i.e., like getting married or divorced, in addition to in-state tuition.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 10,255 times
Hello!! I am new to this forum. I am moving to San Antonio in May. I am currently a long-time resident of Montana. I will be living in SA with my daughter while she attends a nine-month to one year program at SAC. I may stay after she finishes school, or I might return to Montana. My question: Do I need to become a resident of Texas during my stay? Would it be best to get a DL and register my car in TX even if I only stay for one year? ( I like SA, and if job opportunities pan out, I would stay.) Thank you....

Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillibean View Post
Do I need to become a resident of Texas during my stay? Would it be best to get a DL and register my car in TX even if I only stay for one year? ( I like SA, and if job opportunities pan out, I would stay.)
If you are not maintaining a separate residence in another state or in the military, you're legally obligated to become a Texas resident with a DL and vehicle registration under the circumstances you describe.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If you are not maintaining a separate residence in another state or in the military, you're legally obligated to become a Texas resident with a DL and vehicle registration under the circumstances you describe.
From what I could find, if your *intent* is not to stay, you're not required to become a resident.

What I couldn't find was practical stuff to go along with that, like what address to use...

Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM

23 posts, read 112,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I am having a semi-friendly debate over this with a coworker and I'd love a definate answer.

Background:

I started a job in TX in early January (1/7). I owned a home (primary residence) in Alabama where my family lived until last week (2/21) when we sold it. I purchased a new home as a primary residence on 2/26 in TX. Until 2/26 I lived in an apartment provided by my new employer. Out of the 50 nights that I was provided that apartment I spent only 28 of them in TX. The rest I spent in AL at my home.

Debate:

I say that my 30 days begins when I establish residency in TX. In my case I think that means once I have a permanent address. That would be 2/26. I am now on the 30 day clock.

He says that once I started a job here in TX that my 30 days began.

My dispute with his reasoning is that I could live in an adjoining state and still work in TX (I live close to LA, AR, and OK) so having a job here can not be the sole determining factor in residency. Also I reason that the state can't expect you to get a driver's license (and inspections & tags) within the 1st 30 days if you know your address will change to a permanent one within the following 30 days. That would be assinine.

What does the law say? I can't find it spelled out anywhere.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
What does the law say? I can't find it spelled out anywhere.
Here's what the Texas Transportation Code (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=YUCUHZRLVGFQ&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE= 126350&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=63&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES - broken link) says:

Quote:
§ 521.029. OPERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE BY NEW STATE
RESIDENTS. (a) A person who enters this state as a new resident
may operate a motor vehicle in this state for no more than 30 days
after the date on which the person enters this state if the person:
(1) is 16 years of age or older; and
(2) has in the person's possession a driver's license
issued to the person by the person's state or country of previous
residence.
(b) If a person subject to this section is prosecuted for
operating a motor vehicle without a driver's license, the
prosecution alleges that the person has resided in this state for
more than 30 days, and the person claims to have been covered by
Subsection (a), the person must prove by the preponderance of the
evidence that the person has not resided in this state for more than
30 days.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
If you get prosecuted for operating without a license, the burden is on you to prove you weren't a resident yet. That's a bit of a gamble.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,428 times
Well, having a house in another state would probably be pretty good evidence.

I can't seem to find anything that definitively declares when you become a resident of a particular state. Getting a drivers license seems to be a big indicator, but what if you don't get one?

There's a lot of talk about 30 days from when you enter the state, but come on. What if you leave again? I've seen the 'permanent address' mentioned, but don't you get to decide what you consider your permanent address? Renting or owning can definitely overlap - are you a resident of both states then? What if you don't rent or own in either state? Not a resident of either? Then there's the 'intent to establish residency' clause. Ok, but when are you considered a resident?

As for getting stopped, you're 'just visiting' until you get your first document in Texas or your old state's document expires. Then I'd plan on getting everything done within the 30 days.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 PM

23 posts, read 112,849 times
Yeah, the way I see it "entering the state" and becoming a "new resident" are 2 different points in time. Once I entered the state with intent to become a resident with no other primary residence then I think that is when my 30 day clock started. That would be on 2/26 when I closed on my new nome. I guess that if someone wanted to reeeeaaaally push the issue, they could say that when I entered the state on 2/21 just hours after I closed on selling my home in Alabama that my clock started. Either way, I don't see how it could start while my primary residence was still in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas