Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,538 times

Advertisements

We closed on our house July 31st, but didn't arrive in Texas for two more weeks. Well, if you don't count all the other times we were in Texas. It's all very confusing.

I had problems establishing residency in Wisconsin. The only documentation they would accept (that I could reasonably provide) was a copy of my federal tax return with the WI address on it. That meant living there a year before being able to gain residency. And we were already planning on moving by then. I've just been very careful about my driving for the last 2 years. (But I have been stopped, and after my long winded explanation, they just let me go because at least I have insurance...)

I'm sure there's a good reason for it not being any better defined than it is. Just wish I knew what that was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 PM

257 posts, read 986,719 times
Default Texan

Most just swim accross the border and instant Texan!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,933 times
I got a ticket for speeding and another for no TX DL at the same time. The second one is because I moved the from CA and didn't change my DL to TX.

I'm thinking if I should to court and fight for myself. Because I'm not US citizen or green card holder.

I bought my car in CA under my Australian DL. Because it's always convenient to have local DL, I applied and got on.

I'm thing the TX DL rule is for resident no for me.
Any advice?

Thanks.
Hongda
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
If you obey all the traffic laws and don't get into an accident, we will never know. If, on the other hand, you can't keep out of trouble and you get pulled over by law enforcement, it could result in a ticket.

If I pull someone over with an out of state driver license and registration, I always ask if they are visiting or living here. Speaking only for myself, if you told me you had been here 2-3 months, the most I would do is tell you about the law and make sure you know where to go to get it done - Unless, of course, I got you driving recklessly or screaming through a school zone - then any & all violations are fair game.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
I don't want to disagree with anyone, but I have to point out that Texas only gives you 30 days to obtain your Texas drivers license & vehicle registration.

Trust me, I'm a cop.
TGM
That's what we had to do!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 AM

8 posts, read 33,454 times
What is the average income for a registered nurse in Texas with 18 years of experience? How is the cost of living in Texas? What is Houston like as far as crime rate and schools? Any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated,
Linda.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,663 times
Default but where?

I too am trying to establish Texas residency.
I meet the requirements, as far as I can tell, but where exactly do I go to fill out the paperwork?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 PM

285 posts, read 677,819 times
We are permanent residents of Virginia (own our home, cars registered, husband employed, etc). We intend to move to Texas once my husband retires in 2 years or so.

We have UT season tickets beginning this fall and I will live in our vacation home during the football season with husband flying in for as many games as possible. I am driving my car from Virginia and we are considering leaving it at the vacation house since I am in the area 3-4 times during the year in addition to football season (I am trying to build my direct sales business in the area).

Is it true that we do not need to register the car in Texas or otherwise establish residency until we move? I do not want to do anything illegal. And, of course, Virginia wants to continue to receive our annual property tax money and car registration.

I will actually be in the state 6 months each year although not consecutively. Does that make a difference?

Lori

Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 AM

25 posts, read 57,351 times
What is the driver's test like in Texas ? In PA they weed out all the newbies by telling the students to make a left at the stop sign as they pull into the test track and of course they do just that without stopping ... bingo, they flunk asap and have to wait a month for a retest.

Anyway, I'm curious so I know what to expect. And I do trust you but not necessarily because you're a cop !

Quote:
I don't want to disagree with anyone, but I have to point out that Texas only gives you 30 days to obtain your Texas drivers license & vehicle registration.

Trust me, I'm a cop.
TGM

Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
We should make everyone who moves here from out of state sign a contract..

THIS IS TEXAS.. LOVE HER OR LEAVE HER.. DON'T GO CHANGING OUR STATE!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,847 times
I will be moving to Panama (cental America) within the year. I was told that I need to have a state of residency for Social Security purposes. I currently have an address in Texas that I will be able to use. After reading some of the comments, I'm concerned about the Jury Duty issues. Any thoughts about this or comments would be appreciated. Thanks - Debra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas