Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I can't speak from experience about Houston, but I'm guessing they're more into seafood and less into fresh water fish.
You'd guess right. Catfish is still popular in the Gulf cities, but it's not outdone by seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
I'll second this. I've looked for good catfish in Dallas and nothing seems to be as good as David Beard's. Other places make the fillets smaller so you taste more breading and less meat. I don't order catfish so I can eat cornmeal... I can't speak from experience about Houston, but I'm guessing they're more into seafood and less into fresh water fish.

It's unfortunate that the last time I was spending time in Longview, the David Beard's on Judson had turned into a Tele's (I love Tele's but there were already several of them) and the one on Mobberly was closed. I've only been gone for 1 1/2 years and already a lot has changed.
Man, I miss David Beard's I don't understand why they closed up shop in Longview? It use to be packed all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I was just messing around with you, Redlion. Lol

Boudin with mustard? You might get some weird looks in Louisiana, too, if you did that.
LOL, and I use to get crazy looks at work all the time eating Boudin like that. I was the only east texan at my job though and of course both Houstonians and some Louisiana natives would eyeball me something serious. LOL

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I didn't mean difference in food as in we have types of foods that you don't get in Houston. However it is certain differences when it comes to food culture in ETX then in Houston. And I think every region in this state has their own little thing but in certain cities like Houston or DFW it's so many different types of food spots from all the over world(esp. in Houston) so it's not really 1 underlying theme amongst the food scene here in Houston. Which is why I think Houston is one of the best cities for foodies in the nation. It's so many good places and such a huge variety of places to choose from. East Texas doesn't have that. It's a few Asian eateries and some Mexican restaurants but when it comes to mom and pops stores the overall theme of these joints is "down home cooking" atmosphere. In Houston,DFW,Austin,San Antonio those type of places are few in between and it's more in a nostalgia manner. In East Texas that's just how it naturally feels because it's just "COUNTRY". Also catfish is emphasized in ETX while in Houston you have a bigger choice of seafood to choose from and I haven't really had catfish here or anywhere else I been in TX like I've had in ETX. Also I didn't notice this while I was living here but my girlfriend from Houston actually pointed it out to me and that was some local establishments give you the choice of beans and chili with your burger and fries. Now I know that's minor, but it's those little things like that when you move away from home you miss because I don't see alot of people doing that outside of ETX. (Not saying folks don't serve chili beans w/ burgers and fries elsewhere, it's just kind of a given in ETX) Also when it came to BBQ, it's obvious regions in Texas have they're own style of doing BBQ. For example it's a given in ETX if you serve BBQ you got to add some cheese with that. Cheese is a given. When I was going to school in Waco and I would ask for cheese in those local BBQ spots, I would get laughed at for asking such a weird question.

I didn't notice any problem because it was normal to ask for cheese when you order BBQ. The only BBQ place I saw in Waco that offered cheese was Rudy's(which wasn't local). In Houston I haven't ate at many local BBQ spots. I do see blocks of cheese but the reaction I get from some native Houstonians almost comes off like Waco natives when I express the need for cheese with your BBQ.

Also eating boudin w/ bread and mustard was looked at as weird to some Houston natives when me and another East Texas were chomping down but we didn't see the big deal. That's a pretty common sight in ETX.
Never heard of that before.

We always just cook our boudain wrapped up in foil with some butter lathered on top & maybe green peppers & onions on the grill with some Earl Campbell hotlinks.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Man, I miss David Beard's I don't understand why they closed up shop in Longview? It use to be packed all the time.

LOL, and I use to get crazy looks at work all the time eating Boudin like that. I was the only east texan at my job though and of course both Houstonians and some Louisiana natives would eyeball me something serious. LOL
I have to say that you've piqued my interest now. I think I might try it, just to see how it tastes.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times
Quote:
Their website shows the one on Mobberly is still open. Maybe they just closed early that day since it was the day before Memorial Day.

It also shows one in Duncanville. I will have to give that a try. I hadn't realized they were outside of the Longview/Tyler area.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Their website shows the one on Mobberly is still open. Maybe they just closed early that day since it was the day before Memorial Day.

It also shows one in Duncanville. I will have to give that a try. I hadn't realized they were outside of the Longview/Tyler area.
Right - I was thinking the one on Mobberly is open. I ate there not long ago. And it was great!

Weird clientele in there sometimes though...but maybe they think I'm weird.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,358 times
Quote:

They closed the one on Gilmer Rd? Is Johnny Cayce's still open?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
i just happened across this page just moved here to flint, now i'm thinking longview,kilgore,marshall area any news someone could give a newbee to the state. must be cheap 903-279-6505 kali

Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
You just moved to Flint, a mile or two outside Tyler, and want to know about Kilgore,Longview,Marshall?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Is Johnny Cayce's still open?
Just had lunch there yesterday. Not so bad.

------------------------

Curious question. Overall, does Longview seem to look a little beat-down?

Was kind of noticing that yesterday.

Another observation -- all those overhead power lines in the picture set.

Seem a little extra butt-ugly? Do you figure that is because otherwise the trees look so good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas