Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:09 AM

4,367 posts, read 4,576,524 times

Advertisements

Introduction:
Marshall is a city in Harrison County in the northeastern corner of Texas. Marshall is a major cultural and educational center in East Texas and the tri-state area. As of the 2000 U.S. Census, the population of Marshall was about 23,935, even though at one time it was well over 50,000. Marshall is also referred to by various nicknames; the Cultural Capital of East Texas, the Gateway of Texas, the Athens of Texas. It is also the Birthplace of Boogie Woogie. And was one of the most prominent African American cities in the past and esp. in Texas. More specifically Marshall is located in the Piney Woods area of east Texas full of rolling hills, Lush trees, and red dirt. Welcome to the Southern South.

[SIZE="4"]DOWNTOWN MARSHALL[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Historical Courthouse[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Some artsy building downtown[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Now were going outside of Downtown to the old train station[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Cruising thru some of the historical black neighborhoods that my family grew up in [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Green in the city limits[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Wiley College Historical Black College[/SIZE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 AM

240 posts, read 536,093 times
Great pictures, and thanks for sharing them with us. I especially like the old, Victorian architecture homes and it's sad to see them in disrepair. I go through Marshall three or four time a year via I-20, and need to stop and see the sights next time.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,046,726 times
I went to college here but apparently didn't explore the city enough. I was surprised by these pics. Marshall also has one of the best Christmas light displays of East Texas.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,172,219 times
Used to live there, I wouldn't describe it as a cultural capitol but whatever...I actually recognize several of the residences shown in those pictures.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Used to live there, I wouldn't describe it as a cultural capitol but whatever...I actually recognize several of the residences shown in those pictures.
Cultural Capitol of East Texas. Marshall was one of the most important cities in Texas in the past. And was def. the most important and prosperous city in East Texas up untill the 1970's when it started to decline. The Marshall of today is not the marshall it once was. Most of my family hails out of Marshall and I can tell you that it's past is its best feature. I didn't say Cultural capitol of the world or Texas. Just of East Texas.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 PM

717 posts, read 894,678 times
Good shot here. Makes it look very European. I love it.

And I did not know that boogie woogie originated in East Texas. Very interesting trivia.

It should also be pointed out that Marshall was a very important city of the Confederacy.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,026,771 times
Is Marshall part of the Shreveport and Longview metro area

Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,172,219 times
That is not really a Metro area but I guess you could say so. Marshall is about halfway between them.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,586,504 times
Thanks for posting those photos. We used to visit Jefferson quite a bit, sometimes during the holidays and would drive down to Marshall to see the Christmas lights downtown. Do they still do that?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Thanks for posting those photos. We used to visit Jefferson quite a bit, sometimes during the holidays and would drive down to Marshall to see the Christmas lights downtown. Do they still do that?
Yeah they still do it. Although I heard they cut back on some of the lights so it's not as big as it use to be. It's one of Marshall's main attractions. I use to love it as a kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas