Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 27,395 times

Advertisements

My husband and have I have been looking, heavily, into moving to Texas. San Marcos, Austin & New Braunfels being the area's we've looked into the most, although were always open if we find something else that looks nice. We have a big family, 6 kids with a 7th on the way so family friendly is important & we enjoy having a fun/busy social life. In looking up info about the state of Texas we've been really impressed, we have some family & friends there who love it & you guys seem to be so friendly! I've been lurking around city-data for a few years now & consistenly I see friendliness on this board, I love that.

Anyways enough of the ooey gooey love stuff lol Today while looking up a few stats I came across this & thought for those who have not seen it, you might be interested since Texas ranked #2

America's Top States for Business 2011

And while I'm here, do you mind if I ask a few questions? I think the climate change in Tx compared to Ut (where we live atm) is my biggest apprehension with moving. For the most part we enjoy the climate here. I was raised in Az & Ut (my husband is from Ireland, so the heat does get to him a bit but he tolerates it well considering), so I know heat but I also like the snow we get in Utah - at least for a little while. I enjoy a bit of snow but not too much. Does it snow much in Texas? I've heard it can occasionally in certain areas but obviously nothing like here. What are the winters like in Hill Country?

School districts, are there any we should completley avoid when looking in the Austin, New Braunfels, San Marcos areas?

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Its rare for snow to fall in the Hill Country, but it has happened...recently too I might add. I think it even dusted part of San Antonio on the north side.

If you want to experience snow in Texas I'd be looking into the Panhandle around Amarillo & Lubbock or North Texas around D/FW where snow is more likely to occur simply because its further north.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM

I'd thought looking in the panhandle might be a good idea, the people we know who are in Tx are in hill country so we've concentrated on that area but we should probably expand on that. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your input

Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
My wife and I moved from Colorado Springs, which has a comparable climate to Utah, though not sure exactly where y'all live. My wife is from New Braunfels, and she hated our COS winters with a passion (which is funny b/c they're actually pretty mild...Texans ) I was terrified of the Texas summers - I loved the dry sunny days in the 80s we had for a few months there and was nervous about the heat.

In my experience, I acclimated wayyy faster than I expected and the heat has been no big deal to me at all. I still commute by bicycle, even in the heat, and we are constantly taking trips to parks, kayaking, biking, running, swimming, etc. From others' experiences too, it seems the only way to 'beat the heat' is to adapt and acclimate. Hiding out in AC for months on end stewing about the weather only makes people miserable and is not a solution.

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Having lived since 1983 in and around Lubbock and Amarillo, I would say that you would have the best of both worlds in our area. A little snow in the winter and a little heat in the summer.

A lot of folks in Lubbock will say there is an invisible fence between Lubbock and Amarillo (less than 2 hour drive apart) that keeps most of the snow in Amarillo, and not in Lubbock. While mostly true, we had about the same amount of snow last winter.

I really like the area of the Tx panhandle. There are more industrial jobs in Amarillo, but just plain more jobs in general in Lubbock, since it is a bit larger. Cost of Living seems about the same as well.

Well, and the heat is more of a "dry" heat (I know, I know....) but for me it is much easier to handle than the heat around DFW, San Antonio, and Houston. The lesser humidity makes it a bit more enjoyable to me, but the tradeoff is WAY less scenery. Be prepared for vast flat areas with line of sight unbroken by things like.... trees.

A great quote from a buddy who flew in to Lubbock from LA years ago. "You've GOT to be kidding!!"

It was certainly culture shock.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM

12 posts, read 32,099 times
Default Moving to Temple Arae 8/2011

Hi all, I may be moving to the Temple, Troy, Holland areas in the next month working for the VA. I need info on the best School Dist, good rental (houses) areas, cost of loving ( electricity, Cable, ect.) I have seen info on the vehicle registration expectations on some other threads. I am mainly concerned about School Dist & housing. Are there good places for music lessons (guitar)? What about Boxing for kids? Please, any info you can share will be so much appreciated!!

I am originally from the DFW area, but have been gone from Texas for 25 yrs. & now have a 15 y/o son and I want to come home to Texas!!!

Bless you!!

Lchimook

Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 PM

Way more bark ~ Thanks for your reply! We are in the Salt Lake valley, and for the most part have good seasons, like you said very similar to Co. It's good to hear from someone who moved from a climate similar to mine & has done well. I read your reply to my husband as well b/c the heat is somewhat of a concern to him but he's also interested in moving to Tx. Do you miss the snow during Christmas time?

Losttech ~ Thank you as well for your reply. I had to laugh at your friends reaction, I am guessing mine will be/would be the same. I live right next to huge mountains & lots of tree's so going from that to flat no doubt would be a bit of a shock LOL I've been reading up on Lubbock and Amarillo today & it seems most speak really highly of both places. Right now I'm kinda "in love" with San Marcos it looks so green & pretty (well okay, when not in a droubt) although I know that also comes with humidity & little to no snow in the winter.

Lchimook ~ Wish I could answer your questions! I'm looking into school districts as well, although from that link Tx ranks better than Ut which is a plus for me! lol

Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Can't speak for San Marcos these days, it has been way more than a few years since I was down there. But when I was, it was a beautiful place to pass through. Sure wish I had taken the time then, when I had the time, to explore a little more around that area.

Lubbock and Amarillo, as well as the places in between, are real nice places to live. If you are into night life, there ain't a lot to be had, but there is enough to at least sample. Especially in Lubbock when Tech starts back up. If you want a nice place to raise a family, either will do nicely, I have adult kids living in Lubbock now, and still have a couple younger ones living at home with me near Amarillo now.

The area has been real nice to us, but we tend to take "home" with us where ever we are at, and that makes things much easier.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM

I'm looking forward to being able to see all these places instead of just looking at pictures. It's been fun learning about Tx though - as far as night life goes with 6 soon to be 7 children were not doing the night club thing anymore lol However we are very active socially & love spending time with friends as well as going out both sans kids & with kids.

Taking 'home' with you wherever you end up certainly does make life easier, we have lived in both Ireland (where my husband is from) and the states with our kids - attitude has a lot to do with ones experience

Speaking of Lubbock - I need to go do a search so I can learn more but when you speak about the Tech starting back up is it a big tech school there? My husband does computers & while his job will follow us to Texas, I'd say after a few years he'll probably look for a local job.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM

448 posts, read 919,062 times
Anywhere between San Antonio and Austin will probably be ideal for you. There's plenty of green space and much too do with the two major cities nearby. As far as economy, Austin and San Antonio ranked #1 and #2 in state. And both cities also ranked high nationally.

San Antonio's Attractions and Activities :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site
365 Things to Do in Austin, TX | Austin, Texas Events, Music, Restaurants, Festivals & More Things to Do in Austin!
City of Austin - Austin City Connection: Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas