Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 32,110 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I may be moving to the Temple, Troy, Holland areas in the next month working for the VA. I need info on the best School Dist, good rental (houses) areas, cost of loving ( electricity, Cable, ect.) I have seen info on the vehicle registration expectations on some other threads. I am mainly concerned about School Dist & housing. Are there good places for music lessons (guitar)? What about Boxing for kids? Please, any info you can share will be so much appreciated!!

I am originally from the DFW area, but have been gone from Texas for 25 yrs. & now have a 15 y/o son and I want to come home to Texas!!!

Bless you!!

Lchimook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM

65 posts, read 217,935 times
Belton I believe is usually considered to have the best school district in that area. Its maybe 15 minute drive to the VA from there.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 AM

6 posts, read 12,808 times
By all means live in Belton. It's far and away better than Temple. Temple is a nice city, but the property taxes and other taxes are far more than those of Belton. Belton is a very nice little town of about 15k. It's safe, relatively inexpensive, and very close to Temple (minutes away). Temple has no rush-hour traffic, no real crime of any kind, and decent shopping and restaurants.

I'm very up to date on the area as I moved away just last year and visit regularly. Belton schools are far and away better than Temple. Temple schools are wanting in almost every area. Belton schools are very good, especially Leon Heights elementary. Belton HS is far better than Temple. Temple HS has minor gang activity and is getting worse by the year.

Buy a house in Belton, anywhere north of 13th St., preferably north of 15th. Nice area around the Super Wal-Mart. Temple taxes are much higher than in Belton for several reasons. One, Temple home owners pay not only taxes to the Temple ISD, but also to Temple College, and Texas Biotechnical Institute,

Temple is a great place to shop and work, but Belton is a great place to live. Morgan's Point Resort, just a few miles outside of Temple is the ideal place to live. The best in the area. Really close to Belton Lake and really affordable with most houses around 140-190 and most well built. Lots of deer and nature there. Very quiet, very safe. They have their own police force, small library, a couple of restaurants, and other small shops. Very cool place. If I ever move back I will live in Morgan's Point. Lake view houses are available around 200-500k.

Belton is small, safe, and friendly with some great Mexican eating places, esp. Jalisco's. China Cafe has a great Chinese buffet that rivals some places in larger cities. There is a Super Wal_Mart, a couple of dozen restaurants, and a very quaint and storied historical downtown with tons of small shops. There is a lot of new, cool eating and shopping spots on Water St. down by Nolan Creek in DT Belton.

So again to recap:

- Live in Belton, north of 15th St.
- Morgan's Point Resort is best, a little more pricey, but better yet. (still in Belton ISD)
- Drive from Morgan's Point to the VA is about 20 minutes, no real traffic.
- Area is a mix of blue-collar and professional people, but very friendly. People tend to be smart, polite, and easy-going.
- Belton and Temple are very conservative. The area is very pro UT. Some Aggies, but UT dominates with fan base.
- Waco is about 45 miles N on I-35 if you need something the area lacks, but Round Rock is just as far south and offer much more in terms of sophistication and choice. Great outlet mall there.

Overall, the area is very, very safe with minimal crime. Really serious crime is almost unheard of still, thank God. Great food, nice, friendly people, and easy living are all there in abundance. You should enjoy your stay. If you are a church goer, there is a great non-denominational church called The Vista that meets at Central Texas Christian School on Sundays. Excellent pastor, superb sermons, welcoming, friendly people. They have great life groups that meet almost every day of the week at people's homes. Highly recommended.

Central Texas Christian School is the very best school in the area. At about $5500 - 8000 a year, it really is a bargain and kids love it there. Small, friendly, and very talented teachers who really do strive for excellence.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,538 times
You were away from Texas for this long time. I do not know which state are you in at present time. If you are in North, Midwest or East area for all these years, believe me it would very hard for you tolerate hot weather in Texas.
Temple is a small town, population around 60,000.
Many parents live in Round Rock and commute to VA and Scott and White hospital. Round Rock is 40 miles north to Temple. Round Rock has very public, college preparatory ,and charter elementary middle and high schools.
If you are planning to your child in temple school district, then enroll him Central Texas Christan School which is a private school. No school in Temple can beat this school.
My honest opinion would be to enroll your child in round rock school for better
education. It would be fruitful in long run. Here is the web site to find good schools.
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas