Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 02:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The ranches and the small towns
Oops! I forgot that very important fact. They're fast disappearing though but luckily not before I move on to the Big Texas in The Sky.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 02:26 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This has been very good and educational. Let's hope it and others like it survives our terribly inept response to Covid.
"Commited to making a difference through the singing of songs and telling of stories in Central Texas"

https://www.texasheritagemusic.org/

Texas Heritage Music Foundation (THMF) is very excited to be introducing, nurturing, and supporting Texas artists and music lovers alike.
That's a great site that I have visited in the past.

There certainly needs to be a balance between the management of Covid and the economy for anyone in business to survive this mess and that has yet to be demonstrated by very few significant people in states or the Federal government.

I worry a little about how the virus has evolved but more as to how partisan politics have changed.

To all: Let's please not change this discussion of our love for Texas into a political argument.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Speaking of a big sky - I forgot to mention that I love love love that big Texas sky.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:15 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
I think some of Y'all might think I don't like Texas (gotten plenty of "If you don't like it, Leave" comments before) but I do over all really love Texas.

-Over all, the people are great.
-There are some really neat small towns.
-History is really interesting.
-The food scene is very good.
-Music: Great, one of the best, music scenes.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speaking of a big sky - I forgot to mention that I love love love that big Texas sky.
Sunsets can be very long, and pretty spectacular. If possible, it's great to have a home with a clear view of sunrise and/or sunset. Or a park / hill close by.

2 evenings ago the sky was full of the spotty pink / orange clouds you see in a lot of western art.
Texas Sunset Paintings...
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...0QjJkEegQIARAB

Old 12-14-2020, 12:24 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
The Gulf and SE of Texas features a decent lush subtropical environment. Lots of interesting flora, with broadleaf evergreens like magnolias and live oaks, along with subtropical cultivars like oleanders, citrus, and numerous palm species. Some cool fauna too like alligators, anolis lizards, and roseate spoonbills.

Things will get even more interesting with climate change. The current tropical rainfall belt starts somewhere around Tampico, Mexico, which is a very short distance away from Brownsville. As climate change continues, the belt will move northward, bringing stronger tropical influence into Texas. This allows stronger takeover of neotropical flora and fauna into the state's landscape.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sunsets can be very long, and pretty spectacular. If possible, it's great to have a home with a clear view of sunrise and/or sunset. Or a park / hill close by.

2 evenings ago the sky was full of the spotty pink / orange clouds you see in a lot of western art.
Texas Sunset Paintings...
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...0QjJkEegQIARAB
Thank you for the link! Love the sunset photos!

Old 12-16-2020, 11:04 AM

694 posts, read 835,762 times
Texas isn't perfect, there are things about it that I don't like.

What I do like is the attitude. The State of Texas doesn't lead with "No, you cant do that" as many other states do. It leads to a good business climate, and a chance to get ahead.

The people are friendlier, and more open to newcomers than I have seen in other parts of the country. I like that the cost of living is low enough here that it affords me the breathing room to relax and have fun from time to time.

I like that Texans are proud of their state.

Driving and camping on the beaches, tubing with friends.

It seems more relaxed here, and I spend more time hanging out with friends, casually playing music, than I did when living in other states.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you for the link! Love the sunset photos!
Those were images of Paintings, the Photos are even more diverse and numerous
https://www.google.com/search?q=real...wCKAB6BQgBEPcC

BTW: I finally got up your way to Tyler area. It was quite nice, enjoyed the brick streets and vintage homes, but I better come back for the Roses. What month is best (and not too hot!). I usually escape TX by 10 April (when Bluebonnets fade). Return Oct 15 (probably too late for roses). Maybe I could find a car with AC, or rent one, and come in June or Sept.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:45 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post

What I do like is the attitude. The State of Texas doesn't lead with "No, you cant do that" as
Marijuana and liquor on Sundays, no, can't do that. Buy a Tesla from a showroom, no can't do that either . Open carry, don't even try it

I get the "freedom" argument, but Texas (and surrounding states) does have the most people in prison of any state. I do feel like the police here are stricter than other states and the criminal justice system need work in the state....for me that brings the Texas "freedom points" down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas