Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

As you may have heard, the city of Los Angeles, CA recently admitted that they can't force someone to pay a ticket from a red light camera.

Well...it turns out the same thing is true here in Texas! Here's the statute, with amendments:

TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 707. PHOTOGRAPHIC TRAFFIC SIGNALENFORCEMENT SYSTEM

The violation is a civil offense, not a criminal violation. A failure to pay cannot result in the issuance of a warrant, cannot be reported to a credit bureau and cannot be entered on your driving record. The only possible ramification for not paying the ticket is that the County Tax Assessor-Collector MAY refuse to re-tag the vehicle next year.

Moreover, the cameras cannot be used for any other law enforcement purpose. None of this, however, precludes a police officer from issuing a citation if he sees you run a red light. That's a different matter.

And, from what I've seen driving around, most red light cameras are in violation themselves because the statute REQUIRES that a warning sign be posted alerting drivers to the camera, it's operation and the possibility of a monetary action. Those signs must be within 100 feet of each intersection and easily readable by drivers. Where I live, those signs are non-existant.

Also, the yellow lights must be timed to TXDOT standards and the camera may not take your picture unless the light is red before you enter the intersection.

I'm not arguing against red light cameras, just alerting Texas drivers that we may have been scammed by these things as much as were the drivers in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As you may have heard, the city of Los Angeles, CA recently admitted that they can't force someone to pay a ticket from a red light camera.

Well...it turns out the same thing is true here in Texas! Here's the statute, with amendments:

TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 707. PHOTOGRAPHIC TRAFFIC SIGNALENFORCEMENT SYSTEM

The violation is a civil offense, not a criminal violation. A failure to pay cannot result in the issuance of a warrant, cannot be reported to a credit bureau and cannot be entered on your driving record. The only possible ramification for not paying the ticket is that the County Tax Assessor-Collector MAY refuse to re-tag the vehicle next year.

Moreover, the cameras cannot be used for any other law enforcement purpose. None of this, however, precludes a police officer from issuing a citation if he sees you run a red light. That's a different matter.

And, from what I've seen driving around, most red light cameras are in violation themselves because the statute REQUIRES that a warning sign be posted alerting drivers to the camera, it's operation and the possibility of a monetary action. Those signs must be within 100 feet of each intersection and easily readable by drivers. Where I live, those signs are non-existant.

Also, the yellow lights must be timed to TXDOT standards and the camera may not take your picture unless the light is red before you enter the intersection.

I'm not arguing against red light cameras, just alerting Texas drivers that we may have been scammed by these things as much as were the drivers in Los Angeles.
We "may" have been scammed? This is your (not mine) government we are talking about here. This government is all about scamming us peasants. That's what they do best. Extorting as much money from us hard working law abiding peons as they can.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
My husband just received a ticket in the mail from one of those red light cameras. LOL

Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
My husband just received a ticket in the mail from one of those red light cameras. LOL
And it was probably issued by a private company and not an official law enforcement entity.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
And it was probably issued by a private company and not an official law enforcement entity.
Really?

I'll have to take a look at it when I get home.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Oh...and your SVT get you a lot of speeding tickets?

My husband's toy is a '99 Cobra...although that's not what he was driving when he was caught by the camera. He had to slow down and supplement his transportation with a sedan now that he's a family man. LOL

Old 07-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Really?

I'll have to take a look at it when I get home.
I'm not sure since I haven't received one but I've read that states contract those out to a private company. A man in San Francisco fought a ticket based on it being issued by a private non sworn lawn enforcement entity.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure since I haven't received one but I've read that states contract those out to a private company. A man in San Francisco fought a ticket based on it being issued by a private non sworn lawn enforcement entity.
Good to know! Thanks!! +1

Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks!! +1
No problem,

I know people will say don't speed and you want get a ticket etc. And i generally pay up when i get one But these camera citations are unconstitutional in my opinion...talking about state Constitutions. That is what the guy in San Fransico argued and won. It's like me, some Joe Blow sitting on the side of the road issuing speeding tickets. I don't work for law enforcement or the State. You wouldn't pay me right? If you answer yes, I except paypal

Again, I don't know all the facts on how these are operated in Texas...we don't have them in my small one horse town.

Also, these traffic camera's could be argued as a safety issue. Rear end wrecks increased a great deal with the installation of traffic cams installed in the Plano area.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
The state (see: TXDOT) does not install traffic light cameras in Texas. That's solely the power of the local government.

But, yes, they can outsource it to a private corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: