Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,604,340 times

Advertisements

who cares if he has a few D's and F's........at least we are getting to see his transcripts! Moderator cut: off topic for the forum

Last edited by Bo; 08-12-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,530,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
As much as I dislike Rick Perry, I don't care about his grades in college. There have been geniuses who didn't do well in school. Some people don't do well in structured academics and others may even be dyslexic or have attention deficit disorder. Not that I'm saying that Perry is a genius, but grades do not always reflect someone's intelligence.
College is a long series of tests of both intelligence and the ability to schmooze (the professor into giving a better grade). Employers look at college grades because they view them as a proxy for raw ability. However, once someone has amassed a work record, college grades no longer matter. Perry is governor of Texas. An array of people with degrees from better colleges and (presumably) better grades have gone up against Perry and lost. Moderator cut: off topic for the forum

Last edited by Bo; 08-12-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,651,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Perry, but don't most people want the leaders in the U.S. to be regular people anyway? With that said, some of the smartest people I know never finished college. The link below adds some famous people to my own personal list. College academic performance doesn't always translate into someone doing a job well. I can vouch for that after some of the interviews that I've been involved in with honors college graduates.

Bill Gates - Top 10 College Dropouts - TIME
Only the first two are something to be proud of. What would a similar list look like made up of college graduates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The world is run by 'C' students. 'A' students tend to be "yes" men who want to please the teacher. BTW, Einstein's grade school teachers thought he was retarded.
Einstein was one of the highest students throughout his schooling. It's a common myth that he didn't do well in grade school.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:32 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,524,133 times
Quote:
I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Perry, but don't most people want the leaders in the U.S. to be regular people anyway? With that said, some of the smartest people I know never finished college. The link below adds some famous people to my own personal list. College academic performance doesn't always translate into someone doing a job well. I can vouch for that after some of the interviews that I've been involved in with honors college graduates.

Bill Gates - Top 10 College Dropouts - TIME

Nice list. Lady Gaga, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks. The only ones on that list that are truly impressive are Gates, Jobs, and Zuckerberg who all are computer geniuses. Rick Perry isn't an outlier, a genius, or impressive in any way. He is not in the same boat as these people.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,872,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakie View Post
Thank Peter Pan that Austin ain't your Texas son - if you haven't noticed we don't like bigots, racists, homophobes, far right religious nuts, and republican scum baggers!

Austin proper maybe. Its suburbs however are some of the most conservative in the state.

College towns in general lean liberal. Nothing surprising there my friend.

Perry's Call for Prayer attracted over 30,000 people at Reliant Stadium last weekend. Quite a large number of people praying for real hope & change to come if you ask me. This tells me more people are turning to God to answer their prayers our country so desperately needs.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 AM

2,233 posts, read 5,466,991 times
I am a liberal, but I think attempting to bash his grades is pretty low.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM

714 posts, read 2,921,366 times
I keep praying that no one will see my college transcripts.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,495,229 times
I started this thread and didn't check again until today.

1. True Perry and others have been successful with no education at all, however Perry as Governor appoints the Commissioner of Education and selects the Chair of the State Board of Education. What does a parent say to a child with an "F" who can reply "Perry got them as well". We aren't talking about some successful businessman, instead as a public official involved in education he should set an example.

Texas ranks near the bottom of all states in education- can't we do better?

I did give him credit for his "C" in Animal Breeding, but no one seemed concerned about what grade the sheep got.

My children can read and write better than Perry so this isn't a big personal concern. What bothers me about Perry comes down to two issues.

1. As a school board member I tried to cut taxes a few years back. I was told that one of Perry's committees could lower our school rating in the category "generating enough local funds" What this means is he wanted districts to keep taxes high ... so he could brag he never raised them.

2. As a former elected DA I fully believe in the death penalty,, but that's only for GUILTY Criminals. During his Gov Campaign Perry approved of the execution of a man where scientific evidence raised serious doubt about his guilt. Perry knew polls in Texas favor the death penalty and couldn't risk losing any primary votes. I actually believe the death penalty should be expanded and punishments for criminals tougher but once again,only for GUILTY criminals.

Everyone who dislikes Perry is not a liberal. I'm for Ron Paul (again) for president, but the same Texas rednecks who don't care about education figure Libertarian .. Liberal its all the same.

Last edited by ocean2026; 08-12-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 46,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
just released. Plenty of D's even F's. Perry is responsible for appointing the Chair of the State Board of Education and the Commissioner of Education.

He did manage a "C' in animal breeding... wonder what the animal on the other end scored.

Texans had much better choices Kay Bailey Hutchison (GOP) would have been super. Bill White (Dem) and even Twix ( my daughter's dog) would have been an improvement but voters like someone they can relate to- someone as ignorant as they are. The bar is especially low in Texas.

I TOTALLY AGREE
I'm sooooo amazed to hear people complain about Perry when he just recently got re-elected......either alot of people didn't vote or somebody's bitching just to *****

Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,270,838 times
Will someone please tell me how relevant the college transcripts of a 60 year old man is?
He could have been a genius at school and a fool everywhere else. Tell me, for those of you who went through college, After grad school (if you went) how important or did you even know what your GPA was in undergrad? For those of you who did not attend college, and graduated from high school 30+ years ago do you remember yours?

Oh, I would not endorse him anyway, I think that he is a azzwipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: