Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 94,795 times

Advertisements

I live at home with my mother and step dad. My mother is abusive mentally and emotionally. I want out! No one should have to go through this stuff. My gf wants me to move out and move in with her when i'm 17. I dont know how much more of this i can take. Am i legal at 17? I'm desprate to know!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
You are not legal until you are 18 unless you are emancipated (very hard to do). If your friend is an adult, you could actually get her in legal trouble if you move in with her and your parents want to press the issue.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 38,080 times
If you are able to financially support yourself and can prove the abuse then being emancipated is a option for you just make sure this is what you want to do not for your GF for YOU! Can you not stay at a relatives' house and where is your Dad?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbell View Post
If you are able to financially support yourself and can prove the abuse then being emancipated is a option for you just make sure this is what you want to do not for your GF for YOU! Can you not stay at a relatives' house and where is your Dad?
My real dad lives in another state and everything i've ever heard about him is that he's a druggie. My uncle saw him a few weeks ago and said he looked pretty bad. He never pays child support and i've never seen him. I've looked into emancipation, but its hard and if it didnt go through i'd be stuck here and things would only be worse. I'm not wanting out just to be with my gf. I'm doing it for me and my sanity. I've tried to talk to my mom about staying with family before, but she was drunk and when she sobered up she was all mad at me for wanting to. I dont know what to do.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 PM

I dont want to get my friend in trouble. I've been told for a while that i'm legal at age 17. I've been told that if i stay in school and my parents called the cops on my for moving out so early they couldnt do anything. Why is everyone saying legal age is 17 when its not?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
They say that because they do not know any better. In any case, if you feel that you are being abused (as opposed to being ticked because of being disciplined or disagreeing with mom) or your home is not fit to live in due to alcohol or whatever, call CPS. They can remove you from the home if they determine if the situation is really that bad (alternative may not be much better, you may get lucky though). Don't know your specific situation, but lots of teens feel like their parents are emotionally abusive. Once they get older they find out that is not the case (hindsight is miraculous).

Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM

My mom is an alcoholic. Even my step dad see's it. I'm a good kid. I follow the rules and stay out of trouble so i know she's not tricking me. CPS doesnt do anything. My friend's mom is abusive in every way and they've been called so many times, but they never do anything. I dont have the money to support myself because when i had a job she was always taking my money to pay her secret bills. There has to be something that will work.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Sorry, this is not the appropriate forum for this nor is this a chat room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas