Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 AM

2,310 posts, read 3,904,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Haha rivalries are fun! But don't compare us with Tech.
9-4
8-5

Just did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,016,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, if you aggys think that is the case, why are you running off to the SEC where you will be shoved to the middle of the pack or lowwer?

If y'all think you are as good as UT, why are you breaking your word of solidarity & loyalty and running off like a bunch of frightened sheep?

BTW - Most fans don't care about the minor sports & chickball - that's just the way it is.

Could it be that aggy nation is upset because they are no longer considered to be UT's big rival...but on a par with Texas Tech?

The TV deal was just a red herring, and we all know it.
Why would A&M go to the best athletic conference in the country if they were frightened?

If UT were in the SEC, your men's swimming program would have to compete with more than two schools. You wouldn't have 15 conference titles.

If A&M goes to the SEC, it will be because A&M believes it is the best long term financial decision for the university. Just like UT does in all of its decisions. The only reason UT created the LHN is to make $15M more per year, escalating the arms race in college sports, which is already out of hand. But wait - I guess UT needs that money. So far spending more has produced less results on the field, not more. Maybe DeLoss should consult someone in the math department to figure out what's wrong.

As for sports other than football, I happen to care. I'm sorry you don't.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan
Haha rivalries are fun! But don't compare us to Tech
You're right, comparing you to Texas Tech isn't fair. They have been the superior team during the Big 12 Era (1996-2010.)

CONFERENCE RECORD

Texas Tech

Last 3 years: 15-9
Last 5 years: 23-17
Last 10 years: 47-33
Last 15 years: 69-51

Texas A&M

Last 3 years: 11-13
Last 5 years: 20-20
Last 10 years: 37-43
Last 15 years: 65-57

Texas Tech has finished in the top 25 (AP) 6 times while members of the Big 12. Over that same time span, you have finished in the top 25 (AP) just 4 times (only once in the last decade.)

In case you were wondering about head-to-head while members of the Big 12, Texas Tech leads the series: 10-5.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano
If A&M goes to the SEC, it will be because A&M believes it is the best long term financial decision for the university.
That's laughable. If your decision makers honestly thought it was the best move for the long term, they would have joined last year.

If they leave now, it will be obvious to everybody outside of Closet Station it is a case of butt hurt-itis over the LHN.

The funny part is Texas approached you to be partners in the Lone Star Network and your decision makers turned it down.

An even funnier part, Florida and Georgia already have their Tier 3 content televised. There will be no SEC Network and if the LHN does well, expect Alabama/LSU/etc to start their own individual network.

Texas A&M is playing checkers while the rest of college football is playing chess.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,292,356 times
A&M can come in tom the SEC and make some real noise. It something about that Texas swagga especially playing new teams. Alabama is still the king but TAMU will get good recruits and with good coaching they can win SEC west honestly.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,016,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivver View Post
You're right, comparing you to Texas Tech isn't fair. They have been the superior team during the Big 12 Era (1996-2010.)

CONFERENCE RECORD

Texas Tech

Last 3 years: 15-9
Last 5 years: 23-17
Last 10 years: 47-33
Last 15 years: 69-51

Texas A&M

Last 3 years: 11-13
Last 5 years: 20-20
Last 10 years: 37-43
Last 15 years: 65-57

Texas Tech has finished in the top 25 (AP) 6 times while members of the Big 12. Over that same time span, you have finished in the top 25 (AP) just 4 times (only once in the last decade.)

In case you were wondering about head-to-head while members of the Big 12, Texas Tech leads the series: 10-5.
Yup. TT has been a better football team than A&M for some time. But lets see how the next five years plays out. You guys fired the best coach you ever had (and I liked him too).

Is TT good at anything else?

Mens basketball? Nope.
Womens basketball? Not in a long time.
Baseball? Nope.
Swimming? Don't even try, men or women.
Softball? Nope.
Track and Field? Nope.
Women's cross country? YES!
Golf? Nope.
Soccer? Nope.
Tennis? Nope.
Vollyball? Nope.

BTW - Texas Tech is a poster child for the negative effects of the colleges sports arms race. Tech's athletics budget is heavily tilted to football - so it can compete effectively. There is relatively little money left over for other sports. Hence only six men's sports (including CC with T&F)and only seven women's sports.

It will get worse over time for any school not in the DeLoss Dodds "Jones" category.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yup. TT has been a better football team than A&M for some time. But lets see how the next five years plays out. You guys fired the best coach you ever had (and I liked him too).

Mens basketball? Nope.
Baseball? Nope.
Softball? Nope.
Track and Field? Nope.
Golf? Nope.
Soccer? Nope.
Tennis? Nope.
Vollyball? Nope.

BTW - Texas Tech is a poster child for the negative effects of the colleges sports arms race. Tech's athletics budget is heavily tilted to football - so it can compete effectively. There is relatively little money left over for other sports. Hence only six men's sports (including CC with T&F)and only seven women's sports.

It will get worse over time for any school not in the DeLoss Dodds "Jones" category.
I miss the Pirate - he was worth the price of admission.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Quote:
Why would A&M go to the best athletic conference in the country if they were frightened?

If UT were in the SEC, your men's swimming program would have to compete with more than two schools. You wouldn't have 15 conference titles.

If A&M goes to the SEC, it will be because A&M believes it is the best long term financial decision for the university. Just like UT does in all of its decisions. The only reason UT created the LHN is to make $15M more per year, escalating the arms race in college sports, which is already out of hand. But wait - I guess UT needs that money. So far spending more has produced less results on the field, not more. Maybe DeLoss should consult someone in the math department to figure out what's wrong.

As for sports other than football, I happen to care. I'm sorry you don't.
So, you're saying it's all about the money for A&M? They wanna get greedy just like the evile ol' Horns?

Why don't they start their own network then?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 AM

2,310 posts, read 3,904,082 times
Quote:

Mens basketball? Nope.
Baseball? Nope.
Softball? Nope.
Track and Field? Nope.
Golf? Nope.
Soccer? Nope.
Tennis? Nope.
Vollyball? Nope.

Tech track (watch out for this team), men's golf, and men's tennis have had a lot of success lately. Baseball is on the rebound, and softball has improved. WBB made the postseason, and as you noted, women's cross country had a great season. Other sports seem to be headed in the right direction, though it's still too early to rule on those with brand new coaches.

Football was the 38th-most profitable team in any college sport in the US in 2009. I'd imagine that the margin went up last year, with the new stadium expansion and increased attendance. As for the sports arms race, Tech has spent over $200 million in athletic facilities in all its NCAA sports since the 1990's, so anyone who says that the department has been twiddling its thumbs hasn't been paying attention.

Also, there are 17 NCAA-sanctioned sports at Tech, so your math is a little suspect, unless you're combining some.

Finally, while Leach was entertaining, no one else has hired him. Most alumni and fans have moved on, and I like what I'm seeing from Tuberville.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,522,910 times
I think Leach will finally land something when his lawsuits with ESPN and Texas Tech are resolved. He didn't win conference championships, but he's obviously a good coach that did a lot with lesser recruits. I think dirty baggage is hanging up his coaching opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas