Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, please forgive me. I am currently living in Tucson, AZ and I am seriously considering to moving to the Dallas or Austin area next year. I am single and I am in my early 40's bored out of my mind here in Tucson. Either I am too "young" or too "old" to date anyone out here. There is no nightlife and I'm not a nature person. I am originally from Chicago and I really miss the city life. I will not move back to Chicago because of the cold and dreary winters there. Since I do not have an extended family of my own, I would like to find out more about safe neighborhoods in Austin or Dallas. Dallas would be my first choice, then Austin and ATL would be my very last choice.

If someone can provide me with some information about these cities, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I would say Dallas over Austin. Lots of City stuff in Dallas as compared to Austin. Austin has lots of nature and outdoor activities and isn't a very big city. It was actually a college town that has grown into a small city. Dallas will have more "cultural" type things like museums, opera, etc...pro sports and higher end shopping. Both Cities have good nightlife.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Why just northern Atlanta?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Well, from what I am hearing from friends that are natives of ATL is mixed views. Sometimes I hear its not safer anywhere in ATL & then I hear if you live outside or north of ATL its nicer & safer since I'm single. Do you have an opinion?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I would say Dallas over Austin. Lots of City stuff in Dallas as compared to Austin. Austin has lots of nature and outdoor activities and isn't a very big city. It was actually a college town that has grown into a small city. Dallas will have more "cultural" type things like museums, opera, etc...pro sports and higher end shopping. Both Cities have good nightlife.

Thank you

Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmccoy View Post
Well, from what I am hearing from friends that are natives of ATL is mixed views. Sometimes I hear its not safer anywhere in ATL & then I hear if you live outside or north of ATL its nicer & safer since I'm single. Do you have an opinion?
Well, I do know that the northern half of the Atlanta metro is largely white and ranging from upper middle to upper class. Some areas more snazzy than others. South of I-20 you have many more African Americans, and most of the area is working class with some solid middle class and affluent communities here and there. The eastern metro counties of DeKalb and Gwinnett I found to be more integrated, and is where you'll see more middle class families of all races living together.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either, but if you're looking for more of a city life, Dallas and Atlanta will have an edge over Austin, which is much smaller.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
I used to live in Atlanta for 4 years. I can give you some input about it. It is a NICE area, is very Southern, and is slower-paced than what can be expected for a metro that size. Atlanta's demographics look like the ying yang symbol, literally.

Most of the blacks are in the southern and eastern parts, while most of the whites are in the northern, northeastern, and northwestern parts. I really don't have anything bad to say about Atlanta, but it is VERY overrated even though it's kind of winding down. Coming from Arizona, Atlanta will be a little of a culture shock. Either you will love it or hate it.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,238 times
Dallas

Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Given your age, I would say Dallas or Atlanta. If you were younger, I would have said Austin. Austin is a great city for people college aged or just out of college. Dallas and Atlanta have more going on for the 40 something's.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmccoy View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, please forgive me. I am currently living in Tucson, AZ and I am seriously considering to moving to the Dallas or Austin area next year. I am single and I am in my early 40's bored out of my mind here in Tucson. Either I am too "young" or too "old" to date anyone out here. There is no nightlife and I'm not a nature person. I am originally from Chicago and I really miss the city life. I will not move back to Chicago because of the cold and dreary winters there. Since I do not have an extended family of my own, I would like to find out more about safe neighborhoods in Austin or Dallas. Dallas would be my first choice, then Austin and ATL would be my very last choice.

If someone can provide me with some information about these cities, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Coming from AZ I would think Dallas would be best for you. It would be less of a transition compared to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas