Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

23 posts, read 40,355 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My family is considering moving from the Texas Gulf Coast to the Texas Panhandle or Lubbock. Being from the Texas Gulf Coast, we're accustomed to heat, a slower than average economy (compared to other places in the state), and a slower pace of life. What we are looking for in making a change is less heat (four seasons) and a comparable to better economy.

My husband and I have a child and we don't like being trapped indoors for most of the year. We'd like to be able to get out and enjoy nature a little more often. Also, my husband is a secondary English teacher. Knowing that education is receiving less funding at the moment, we know we may have a wait on our hands, so at this point we're just interested in gathering information and making some visits to this region.

Thanks in advance for info anyone has to share

Last edited by Texas Gremlin; 08-16-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,615 times
Good for you. It should at least be drier up there, have a more interesting landscape, and much more open space. I definitely understand about the feeling "trapped inside" around here in muggyville, and not getting to enjoy nature and the outdoors at a decent level.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
I wouldn't trade the Gulf Coast for the Pan Handle, but that's just me.

Be prepared for those winter storms that will pound you up there.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
I'd agree with Metro Matt, I wouldn't trade the Gulf coast for the panhandle... depending on the coast, of course.

Aside from Palo Duro, it seems the panhandle is largely flat, breezy and farms. It does however, put you in a reasonable range of New Mexico's National Forests.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Default Not so sure about Tex Gulf Coast

Thanks for the input

Aside from the climate, it seems Corpus Christi, the place we're from, has at least a couple of similarities with the Panhandle. Both are located in the plains, and these regions are windier than average. My husband and I are ok with that.

The obvious differences are having a beach close by and higher temps most of the time, but since it's always so hot, and the better beaches are a little ways away (about half an hour to an hour or more, depending how far out you want to go), we really don't get out there much. Of course, we're not complaining about what makes this area great to some. It's just becoming more apparent that with our child we're starting to take a harder look at this locale.

A dose of strong cold fronts in the winter may be a nice change.
We're pretty concerned about the economic outlook, and we are curious about the cultural differences.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
I wouldn't make the swap either but if you must move, I would consider Midland/Odessa. It's flat, dry, and not much going on out doors but winter is milder than the Panhandle and the job market is decent due to the oil boom.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Default Moving from TX Gulf Coast to Panhandle

For those of you saying nay, please tell us why you think a trade is not a good idea.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gremlin View Post
For those of you saying nay, please tell us why you think a trade is not a good idea.
I grew up in Abilene, just south of the panhandle then moved to Houston. I much prefer the humidity and trees.

Though, after twenty-five years and thinking a cooler clime would be suitable, I began to notice those fronts from the PacNW that would blow through Dallas and stall out before getting to Houston. So, I moved to Dallas.

You will like those cool fronts. It's the hard freezes for which I have no use.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gremlin View Post
Hello everyone! My family is considering moving from the Texas Gulf Coast to the Texas Panhandle or Lubbock. Being from the Texas Gulf Coast, we're accustomed to heat, a slower than average economy (compared to other places in the state), and a slower pace of life. What we are looking for in making a change is less heat (four seasons) and a comparable to better economy.

My husband and I have a child and we don't like being trapped indoors for most of the year. We'd like to be able to get out and enjoy nature a little more often. Also, my husband is a secondary English teacher. Knowing that education is receiving less funding at the moment, we know we may have a wait on our hands, so at this point we're just interested in gathering information and making some visits to this region.

Thanks in advance for info anyone has to share
I'm wondering where you got the idea that the economy is improving in Lubbock? Not saying you are wrong, but I was not aware of it, and the little bit of checking I've done indicates that the unemployment rate is going up and not many new jobs have been added.
Lubbock, TX Economy at a Glance

The unemployment rate in Lubbock is 7.3 versus 8.6 in Corpus, not a huge difference. Corpus Christi added twice as many jobs to the local economy as Lubbock did in the first 6 months of this year.

Corpus Christi, TX Economy at a Glance

Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks CptnRn for the links. Seems like Lubbock and Corpus are not too different, economy-wise.

Do you know anything about the quality of the schools in the Panhandle or in Lubbock? Or the job market for teachers (the cuts in state funding for education notwithstanding)? We're interested in finding a good school not only for our child, but also to work at.

What is the general reputation of Amarillo and Lubbock regarding education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas