Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times

Advertisements

Came across this article, raises some interesting points about Perry and the state of Texas as a whole whenver we talk about the "Texas Miracle" enjoy;

Rick Perry: The Biggest Little Hypocrite in Texas - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I jsut want to know why the writer for the FTW paper--Mitchell Schurnerman or something like that is promoting Perry and trying to defuse the bad press that he is getting because of his hypocritical statements and destructive government policies...

Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
All I know is Im really enjoying watching the democrats squirm and attack Perry.
Thats all I need to know.

Its good to see y'all go after Perry, its not like you can run on Obama and Co's record, its a disaster.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
We can't discuss Obama in this forum, so why would we talk about his record? Perry has yet to face the same amount of attack that Obama has. So are Republicans squirming? I just call it campaigning.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

173 posts, read 402,085 times
I know that Texas ranks last in education. When you have an uneducated public you can sway their votes. It helped contribute to get Perry elected.

But, aside from that, I just cannot fathom that people cannot look at facts and see the horrible things he has done, the fact that Texas is not in great shape and continues to dwindle in every regard except for corporate interests, etc etc. I mean there is no debate here, theses are the FACTS.

And you still have people saying "WooHoo Go Perry" simply because they do not like Barack Obama. Or simply because they live in Texas. Well, Mr Obama was not my initial pick for president either. Do I like everything he has done? Absolutely not. Does that mean that I should be a total dufus incapable of analyzing real facts, real situations and other economic and social realities ? No.

So why is that the case for a large chunk of the population? I am not a democrat and I am not squirming. I am looking at facts and fictions. When I see ignorant posts without any sort of documentation, I cringe. The them vs them polarized dual party notion is also ridiculous. It is a tool used against the public. Yet many people blindly follow any party that suits their name brand.

A decent analogy would be like designer clothes. You wanted those Levi Jeans. Everyone else had them, you grew up thinking they were All American. You knew that the Guess Jeans that appeared French or Italian (but which had waned in price and popularity) were solid and sturdy, but they were different from what you grew up with, so you automatically hated them and ignored that they were actually made right in the USA and created tons of jobs. The Levi Jeans said they were All American but were actually made by cheap labor abroad (how could they when they say they are the American Jean? Right?). They had seams pop open and never fit right. But you bought pair after pair of the Levi's because you knew you were loyal to the brand image of Levis. So against your own interests you kept buying Levi's, wasting all your money until you had none.

Stop blindly following anything by name affiliation. The US is on a rapid decline, will not improve, you still have the majority of the population running around saying, "We are the best". Same for the state of Texas. Everyone who says Texas is sooo great, look at the facts, almost dead last in everything. Why don't you want to improve the quality of life in your own state instead of acting like defensive children (spits out tobacco, ***** rifle and says "No one's gonna say my state is ranked low in education). Don't you want good healthcare, education, well paying jobs, benefits, a thriving economy for American citizens? Quality, clean air and water (not sourced from Perry's radioactive dump). If you answer yes to these things then you cannot support Rick Perry and his policies.

Would I rather there be a different president, yes, well maybe. That depends on the alternative. Current contenders, then NO WAY. Why, because they all support (well then there is Ron Paul, but that is another story) the continuance of the policies that put the US where it is currently.

But these are wasted words because there are those who understand and analyze and those who are incapable. And those are the majority.

Last edited by VonHuffenHausen; 08-18-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Hum...why do we need 2-3 threads on the same article or 10 on going Rick Perry threads? Bo has created a thread for discussing Rick Perry and Ron Paul? He needs to combine all the micro threads with that single thread before the site is thrashed.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Came across this article, raises some interesting points about Perry and the state of Texas as a whole whenver we talk about the "Texas Miracle" enjoy;

Rick Perry: The Biggest Little Hypocrite in Texas - Yahoo! News
That is a good article. I especially found this part interesting.

Quote:
There is, however, something very important in the Texas experience that could serve as a model for the nation, and that is the state’s success in avoiding the worst effects of the housing crash. Texas has not suffered anything like the crushing foreclosure crisis that is the main source of joblessness in states from Florida to California. But Perry surely will not dwell on the reasons for Texas having escaped that fate, because his mantra of less government regulation doesn’t work in this instance. If lax environmental and zoning codes were the secret, neighboring Arizona and Nevada would not be the housing basket cases that they are. The difference for Texas is one that most free-market conservatives ignore: It was precisely the tight government regulation of the housing market that spared Texas a similar fate.

From the first days of statehood in 1845, Texas has maintained the strictest laws on home mortgages in the nation. The Texas constitution’s blanket ban on home equity loans, born of outrage over previous land grabs by banks, has been eased substantially over the years, but a firm commitment that the total amount in loans on a house not exceed 80 percent of appraised value, and other consumer-friendly restrictions on mortgage lenders, saved Texas from the home mortgage disaster visited upon many other states.

That put a crimp in the wild lending that fed the securitization of home mortgages that still proves to be so toxic to the nation’s economic recovery outside Texas. As a bit of irony, it was US Sen. Phil Gramm, R-Texas, who pioneered the passage of federal legislation preventing government oversight of those mortgage-backed securities. Perhaps because Texas homeowners were better protected than those in the rest of the nation, the Texan Bush managed to be splendidly indifferent during his presidency to the dire consequence of the housing bubble.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
For years one could not get a home equity loan in Texas.
We moved a lot due to company transfers. The closing person would always take me into another room and ask if I was selling under duress.
Also, for years single woman could not get a mortgage in Texas. Needed a father or brother to co sign the note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas