Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 PM

563 posts, read 909,859 times

Advertisements

The reason I am asking is because you guys might love something about the state that I have yet to stumble upon (e.g., bluebonnets in the hill country, the stars at night in West Texas...)

It might sound corny but I love the way the people of Texas, love Texas. We have a passion for our state unmatched by any other state in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,262,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
The reason I am asking is because you guys might love something about the state that I have yet to stumble upon (e.g., bluebonnets in the hill country, the stars at night in West Texas...)

It might sound corny but I love the way the people of Texas, love Texas. We have a passion for our state unmatched by any other state in the nation.
Texas wrote the book on State Spirit and Pride

As for me, there is just to much to list. When I was a kid I used to sleep in the bed of my truck and gaze as the stars all night. Once you get out of the city, especially in West Texas, the skies are vast and clear. You can see the MilkyWay no problem. Heck, if you looked hard enough, you can see Satellites moving across the sky. I also love the different geography! We got mountains, trees, sand dunes, and lakes etc. I'm also fond of our rights as Texans. It's legal to own firearms and our Castle Law gives us the ability to use deadly force to protect our selves and or property.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,968,467 times
theres too many to just pick one

Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM

374 posts, read 982,160 times
The people - not the transplants you find in the cities, but the real Texans. The one's who wear boots with everything and wave as you pass. This is what makes Texas great!

Oh, and it's the only state that can say it kicked another country's a$$!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM

751 posts, read 1,480,954 times
I like the differences between regions. I can see a whole lot of different kinds of scenery, and different types of people, just by getting in the car and driving for a while.

Or better yet, making an hour and a half flight.... and never leaving the state!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:07 AM

11,848 posts, read 26,840,844 times
Here's a wonderful song by Gary P Nunn that explains it all:

Lyrics to What I Like About Texas :

You ask me what I like about Texas
I tell you it's the wide open spaces!
It's everything between the Sabine and the Rio Grande.
It's the Llano Estacado,
It's the Brazos and the Colorado;
Spirit of the people down here who share this land!
It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play the sons of the mothers of the bunkhouse band!

It's the big timber round Nacadoches
It's driving El Camino Real into San Antone
It's the Riverwalk and Mi Tierra
Jamm'n out with bongo Joe
It's stories of the Menger Hotel and the Alamo!
(You remember the Alamo!)

It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!
Play the sons of the mother love'n bunkhouse band!

Well, you ask me what I like about Texas
It's Blue Bonnet and Indian paint brushes
Swimming in the sacred waters of Barton Springs
It's body surfing at Freo
It's Saturday night in Del Rio!
It's crossing over the border for some cultural exchange!

Well, I could tell you, but we'd be here all night long
I tell you it's the wide open spaces!
It's everything between the Sabine and the Rio Grande.
It's the Llano Estacado,
It's the Brazos and the Colorado;
Spirit of the people down here who share this land!
It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand
Play the sons of the mothers of the bunkhouse band!

It's the big timber round Nacadoches
It's driving El Camino Real into San Antone
It's the Riverwalk and Mi Tierra
Jamm'n out with bongo Joe
It's stories of the Menger Hotel and the Alamo!
(You remember the Alamo!)

It's Blue Bonnet and Indian paint brushes
Swimming in the sacred waters of Barton Springs
It's body surfing at Freo
It's Saturday night in Del Rio!
It's crossing over the border for some cultural exchange!

Well, I could tell you, but we'd be here all night long

Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM

308 posts, read 637,587 times
The most beautiful sight I've seen is the sun rise over the llano estacado. There's about 5 minutes a day when you know God is shining on Texas.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:25 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,560,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Your state has become the home to many transplants from other states (and countries). The number of people rushing to Texas seems to be increasing. Does this influx of "Yankees" affect the state spirit and pride?

I live in Southern Missouri, and I've long wished our state had the pride your state does. I hope that doesn't changel.

Here, we are filling up with Califoreigners and others who come to take advantage of cheap land and less government regulation. But they complain that they hate a lot about Missouri, which they sarcastically call "Misery." I've told some of them to go back where they came from.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,262,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Your state has become the home to many transplants from other states (and countries). The number of people rushing to Texas seems to be increasing. Does this influx of "Yankees" affect the state spirit and pride?

I live in Southern Missouri, and I've long wished our state had the pride your state does. I hope that doesn't changel.

Here, we are filling up with Califoreigners and others who come to take advantage of cheap land and less government regulation. But they complain that they hate a lot about Missouri, which they sarcastically call "Misery." I've told some of them to go back where they came from.
A noticeably whiny contingent of Californians seem to enjoy doing that same thing on the Texas forums. Yet they still flock here like a flood of locusts. Fortunately for us in Houston and Dallas, Austin is facing the brunt of the Cali exodus. Sorry for y'alls pain up in Missouri. We feel your west coast pain. Yankees, on the other hand seem to assimilate just fine. I am in a long term relationship with one!

Anyway, the thing I like most about Tx is this - We just got a nice house. I don't make a lot of money. But barring any misfortune, we can conceivably pay it off in less than 15 years if we choose - on the modest incomes we make now!

And then there is the southern hospitality. Shoot don't get me started on the good stuff about Tx!

Last edited by DanielWayne; 08-20-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,070,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post

As for me, there is just to much to list. When I was a kid I used to sleep in the bed of my truck and gaze as the stars all night. Once you get out of the city, especially in West Texas, the skies are vast and clear. You can see the MilkyWay no problem. Heck, if you looked hard enough, you can see Satellites moving across the sky. I also love the different geography! We got mountains, trees, sand dunes, and lakes etc. I'm also fond of our rights as Texans. It's legal to own firearms and our Castle Law gives us the ability to use deadly force to protect our selves and or property.
Yeah... exactly what he said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas