Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Are you embarrassed by the Governor and now he wants to run for president? How come you always pick these lousy embarassing governors? You are a big state, you have some smarter surely. Do you feel embarrassed right now?
Well, I wasn't one of the morons that voted for him. So, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
That's a good point! My grandfather was a long-time conservative Democrat and most everyone he knew in his generation was a Democrat at one time. I think George Bush senior was the first Republican president he voted for....lol. We also had a conservative Democrat congressman that represented our congresssional district here in the Abilene area for many years (Charles Stenholm). Stenholm was finally defeated by a Republican contender several years ago.
Yes, it is a good point! Texas was, up until at least the early 70's, a "Solid South" democratic state...even to the national level. I remember the first time I voted (at age of 18 in 1976, in the Texas primaries), actually hearing fathers telling sons -- sons doing so for the first time -- to "vote a straight democratic ticket." (This is another reason why I always consider Texas an essentially Southern state...but that is another story and an old one! LOL). My own grandfathers were that way. What was called "Yellow-Dog Southern Democrat".

Texas shifted in tandem with other formerly Solid South states at the national level, for sure, in the 1972 elections (Nixon vs. McGovern). It was former gov. John Connally who headed up "Democrats for Nixon". Such pretty much ended the domination of Texas being counted as part of the said region since Reconstruction. I am not sure what year it was, but John Tower had become the first noteable Texan to be elected as a Republican at the state level.

But like several have said, the strong influence of the democratic party continued -- and still does -- at the local level in many ways and in many areas. That is, the "old" democratic party which was -- as some of y'all say -- more traditionally Southern populist based (or even family tradition! LOL), than anything remotely akin to that in states outside the South.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-27-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So true. One expects states to elect their best and brightest to the top offices. When we have poorly educated, greedy extremists in those offices it reflects very badly on the state.
As compared to what other states, CapR?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Civil Rights--not a problem. Blacks were disenfranchised and marginalized for far too long.

"The Great Society" and the huge increase in welfare was. LBJ was a crook, a womanizer and so liberal that he stank to high heaven.

Look what has happened since.....approximately 65-70% of all black births are to unwed mothers. They collect more welfare by staying single.

LBJ is largely responsible for this sad outcome so many years later.

I wasn't old enough to vote when he ran, but you can be sure he would NEVER have gotten my vote, ever.
Absolutely agree, Cathy! On all counts!

Whether or not LBJ's heart was in the right place and/or whether or not he had the best of intentions (which is debatable), the road he paved with the "Great Society" lead to the proverbial hell of today...in the areas you mention (and more). A noteable trait about true liberals (and I have many liberal friends) is the willingness to overlook anything (whether it be personal traits or political policies) if the "general intent" is aligned with their vision of the "welfare state"...and all that implies. It makes no difference if the thinking/policies lead to disaster and make the original "problem" even worse. To their way of thinking, the only thing that matters is that they were -- arguably -- "sincere" and "concerned".

Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Absolutely agree, Cathy! On all counts!

Whether or not LBJ's heart was in the right place and/or whether or not he had the best of intentions (which is debatable), the road he paved with the "Great Society" lead to the proverbial hell of today...in the areas you mention (and more). A noteable trait about true liberals (and I have many liberal friends) is the willingness to overlook anything (whether it be personal traits or political policies) if the "general intent" is aligned with their vision of the "welfare state"...and all that implies. It makes no difference if the thinking/policies lead to disaster and make the original "problem" even worse. To their way of thinking, the only thing that matters is that they were -- arguably -- "sincere" and "concerned".
Very much agree, TR.......and also....very debatable on LBJ's "good intentions." He was basically just plain self-serving, very calculating and EVIL.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-27-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 PM

198 posts, read 499,312 times
Yes.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
A lot of disciplines use the Scientific Method. Even Psychology does.
But would you put Physics and Psychology under the same amount of scrutiny or consider them to be very similar otherwise?
Huh? Are you saying Physics is more important than Psychology?

Quote:
That's my point. Maybe Perry knows this or maybe he doesn't, but
Like I said, Perry knows that taking a social conservative/right-wing stance on evolution and climate change will help solidify his base.

Quote:
for anyone to say all of these disciplines fall under the same rules is simple-minded, short-sighted, ignorant or all of the above.
Um science is science regardless of the discipline, even the "soft sciences"; as all science seek "natural" causes. You are just overgeneralizing this Moderator cut: see comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Um, or maybe not. I don't think it's appropriate for random new members to get on here, tell lies, then not be able to back them up. You still haven't answered the 6,000 year/dinosaur thing. I want to know when he said that. You still can't tell me. Instead, you resort to name-calling and trying to write me off knowing nothing about me. Normally what people do when they can't defend their assertions. As far as being politically biased, you may want to take a look at yourself before accusing others of this offense.
Perry is certainly not stupid enough to make the 6,000 year/dinosaur claim, but that is certainly the position that some of his base take. Makes you wonder what Perry is telling these social conservative leaders behind closed doors on issues such as education.

Last edited by Bo; 08-28-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: I explained in my Direct Message why this was edited.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 PM

346 posts, read 739,191 times
yes, a little. Mainly because he doesn't represent what alot of texas really is, or our cities. Any election map will show that. But Texas is such a large state that our urban areas are outnumbered by the rest of the state, even with at least 7 million people between our top 4 cities. The states pop is over 26 million. At least half of it rural

Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
yes, a little. Mainly because he doesn't represent what alot of texas really is, or our cities. Any election map will show that. But Texas is such a large state that our urban areas are outnumbered by the rest of the state, even with at least 7 million people between our top 4 cities. The states pop is over 26 million. At least half of it rural
There are about 12.5 million people between Houston and DFW alone.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Make an outrageous statement/accusation, attack ad-hominem, then retreat and/or come back to occasionally repeat the same...yet never addressing the hard question.
Please report any and all ad hominem attacks, no matter which forum they appear in, since those are a violation of City-Data's personal attack rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas