Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,830,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Arguments over religion and the monkey business should have no place in this election as those topics have no bearing on how well Perry could handle the disaster that is Washington DC.
Except for the fact that when someone becomes President they tend to effect more than JUST economic policy. They are the president of everything, and how I think they will act on social issues as well as economic ones factors into my decision.

If someone is a religious church goer then I would have no problem with them being my president. If someone believes that "praying for rain" is a viable enviornmental policy, then I start having a problem.

I have a real problem with somone one who signs pledges saying that they will back a constitutional amendment against gay marriage, imposing an anti-gay litmus tests for all judicial nominees, and that he promises to start a "presedential commision on religious liberty" to help defend Christians, who are the biggest victims of prejudice and hate in America today. Aren't Republicans supposed to be the "small government" party? Perry promises to get rid of the Enviornmental Protection Agency, but he will start a new commision on how to protect Christians from prejudice, because after all, it's very hard to get anywhere in America if you are a christian.

I understand where you are coming from about focusing on what's important. But social issues ARE important. And it's fair game to focus on a candidates religion when he is CAMPAIGNING on his religion. Perry didn't hold an economic rally on the eve of announcing his candidacy. He held a RELIGIOUS rally. Well, really a christian rally, but whatever.

Also, your argument makes a huge assumption that Perry could actually fix the economy. That remains to be seen, as he hasn't really announced any economic initiatives. He is to busy signing anti-gay pledges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Arguments over religion and the monkey business should have no place in this election as those topics have no bearing on how well Perry could handle the disaster that is Washington DC.
Perry's ready dismissal of evolution and his promotion of the idea that the state should slash public education budgets so they can fund education vouchers to "republican christian" families says everything about his lack of suitability for higher public office. We need presidents that consider all of our countries citizens needs, not one who readily dismisses anyone he disagrees with. The last thing we need in Washington is politician that has Perry's one sided a world view. Do we really want a president that the rest of the world will look down on and ridicule for his lack of education and ignorance in regard to the sciences?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM

12,866 posts, read 13,179,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Perry's ready dismissal of evolution and his promotion of the idea that the state should slash public education budgets so they can fund education vouchers to "republican christian" families says everything about his lack of suitability for higher public office. We need presidents that consider all of our countries citizens needs, not one who readily dismisses anyone he disagrees with. The last thing we need in Washington is politician that has Perry's one sided a world view. Do we really want a president that the rest of the world will look down on and ridicule for his lack of education and ignorance in regard to the sciences?
I see your point, but that all that pales in comparison to the disasterous fiscal problems our country faces. The current regime doesn't have a clue on how to "fix" them... and is not held in high esteem around the world in spite of the supposedly sophisticated level of it's education. The bloom wore off that rose long ago.

I will not vote for Perry or the current Wall Street lackey. Neither one of them is the answer.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,010,396 times
Quote:
We need presidents that consider all of our countries citizens needs, not one who readily dismisses anyone he disagrees with.
Well we certainly don't have that now, so....

Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 PM

455 posts, read 766,543 times
Quote:
Perry's ready dismissal of evolution and his promotion of the idea that the state should slash public education budgets so they can fund education vouchers to "republican christian" families says everything about his lack of suitability for higher public office. We need presidents that consider all of our countries citizens needsThe last thing we need in Washington is politician that has Perry's one sided a world view. Do we really want a president that the rest of the world will look down on and ridicule for his lack of education and ignorance in regard to the sciences?

Spot On Captn Ron...Perry knows the science of evolution is correct, but like all phony politician's of his ilk he’s more concerned with pandering to his base and getting the presidency at all costs rather than admitting the truth, so he ‘hints’ to his mindless base exactly what they want to hear, that the world was created 6000 years ago -- Oh how the leaders of other nations must be laughing deviously and rubbing their hands together in jubilant delight at the prospect of such a man like Gov Rick becoming the leader of the free world. A man who seems more concerned with The Bible, and his Hair than the current problems of this Country and the Real World. A man who insists climate change is a hoax and prays for rain while Texas is still bone dry, even God didn't want to hear from Perry.

Here's a guy who's been on the tax payers dime since he barely graduated from A&M while majoring in bad grades, how to win a student election and to be the best Male Cheerleader in TX --Perry keeps talking about the miracle and a balanced budget, even though he consistently ridicules the stimulus package. In 2009 Slick used $17B in stimulus money to help reduce the $22B deficit he created as governor of TX and to eliminate the remaining $5 billion Perry cut K-12 public education by $3B and healthcare by another $2.2B in addition to cutting everything else TX seems to need including fixing and improving its failing infrastructure system- Then just like a Miracle, he balanced it all with stimulus money.

Perry has gutted every TX regulation which protects the public, employees rights & safety including efforts to severely limit lawsuits against companies that have been liable for injured workers and or consumers -- Perry's greedy, arrogant and borderline narcissistic leadership has had an recent effect on the overall quality of life for 95% of tax paying Texans, while he panders to businesses and his cronies who abuse and benefit from little to no regulations, and without having to pay their fair share of taxes (see Perry's Brother from another Mother Bob Perry, CEO of Perry Homes). Perry has at least 30 million reasons for smacking down bureaucrats so strongly, because when environmental regulators come to Texas and do their jobs properly, that can mean serious trouble for Perry's largest political donors and his future campaign bank account.

Perry has no interested in balancing the budget, He is interested in cutting taxes on Large Corporations and the on the very wealthy who will put him in the top office. If Perry was elected President he will attempt to cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security for the poor and elderly and change Medicare from a public program to a private program - Is this the man you want to lead your country?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,113,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm getting to the point that I don't like to reveal my Texas origins because I've learned increasingly that Texas is badly viewed by many people outside the state, and Perry is only going to further exacerbate this, as did G W Bush.
I've been lot's of places in the world where Americans aren't highly thought of, but I'll never deny being American. I'm Texan. The rest of the world will just have to learn to get along with us because we're not going away.

BTW I voted against Perry in the last two gubernatorials, but he doesn't "embarass" me. I just don't like his lax stance on our border with Mexico. I want it shut tight with National Guard as Friedman proposed.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,230,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

If someone is a religious church goer then I would have no problem with them being my president. If someone believes that "praying for rain" is a viable enviornmental policy, then I start having a problem.
700,000 acres has burned up in this year in Texas. People are loosing their homes and some are paying the ultimate price. And all you can do is mock our governor for praying for rain? I wouldn't **** on anyone like this if they was on fire and there was no water to be found.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Name calling and saying that the President having an education is bad. God forbid the leader of the free world have a brain in his head.
Too bad he apparently forgot all about Economics 101.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
so he ‘hints’ to his mindless base exactly what they want to hear, that the world was created 6000 years ago
Still waiting for you to tell me when he said or even hinted at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
arrogant and borderline narcissistic
That's hilarious you would mention this, considering the way you imply that anyone who doesn't agree with you is mindless, stupid, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,830,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
700,000 acres has burned up in this year in Texas. People are loosing their homes and some are paying the ultimate price. And all you can do is mock our governor for praying for rain? I wouldn't **** on anyone like this if they was on fire and there was no water to be found.
I sure do mock him. He is the governor of the state and instead of doing something useful he asked everyone to pray. That is definately worth mocking. Moderator cut: off topic for the forum That is ridiculous, pandering behavior. By the way, people didn't elect ME governor to deal with state emergencies, they elected him. So don't say "all you can do is mock the governor". Yeah, that's all I can do. And it's a hell of a lot more than he is doing.

How could you trust a man to be president? If instead of working, he just says "let god handle it". If you want to believe in god, more power to you, but to use it as an excuse for inaction is stupid. "Mr President, the terrorists are attacking, should we mobilize the troops??!" "Naw....Let's pray. Maybe god will handle it."

Last edited by Bo; 09-01-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas