Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Do you feel embarrassed right now?
Not really.
But I'd surely feel embarrassed if I were one of these people from the so-called "enlightened", "open-minded" and "tolerant" areas such as yours that seems to have such hatred and ignorance of an entire state or opposing viewpoints to the point of attacking a candidate just for that and bombarding our state forum and who knows where else with mindless hate-posts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
You know, this is already getting old. I did a quick check of the other state boards and there are very few, if any, posts bashing their candidates.
Not surprising. People on the coasts are generally very ignorant and sometimes even hate-filled toward Texas. Some of it's jealousy over our economy and success too. It's their problem, not ours.... if they want to call themselves "open-minded" and "tolerant" maybe they should actually demonstrate that fairly with everyone, not just those who agree with them politically, fiscally, value-wise, etc.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
It's not jealousy. Bush the younger and Perry both come off as crude, poorly "educmacated" rednecks and put a lot of people off, as well as creating a bad image of the state. Years ago during Bush's governorship, a girl in Toronto said to me in perfect seriousness that Texas "sounds scary" -- I suspect because of its much publicised promiscuous rate of executions under Bush. Think of the old image of the "ugly American" abroad and that pretty much captures the image of the "ugly Texan". Wake up. Not everyone thinks you are hot sh-t on a silver platter; instead, many people view you as stinky turds on a paper plate.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'm not a fan of Perry's, but embarrassed by him? No. And I don't really care what other people from other States think about Texas and Texans. I mean, really. They also keep reelecting some real winners too, so who are they to talk? We have less problems than some of those states.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It's not jealousy. Bush the younger and Perry both come off as crude, poorly "educmacated" rednecks and put a lot of people off, as well as creating a bad image of the state.
Why, because of their accents, demeanor, or what? Wow, how open-minded and tolerant of them to be so put-off by that. You can nit-pick at just about any candidate from any state and find problems or something in the background that is just "off." Sounds to me like this is more an issue of intolerance and prejudice toward Texas because it's so "different" to them. Wonder what they think of Bush's green home on the ranch while Gore's lifestyle is about as anti-environmentally friendly as it comes.

And yes, there is some degree of jealousy over Texas' current economic success. Wasn't the case during Bush, but is the case now.

Quote:
Years ago during Bush's governorship, a girl in Toronto said to me in perfect seriousness that Texas "sounds scary" -- I suspect because of its much publicised promiscuous rate of executions under Bush. Think of the old image of the "ugly American" abroad and that pretty much captures the image of the "ugly Texan". Wake up. Not everyone thinks you are hot sh-t on a silver platter; instead, many people view you as stinky turds on a paper plate.
That's THEIR problem that they think of us that way. Hollywood, the more liberal news outlets, and others have publicized and exaggerated the bad about Texas, while doing the exact opposite for the two coasts. What do you expect outsiders to think after that? If people only believe Hollyweird and the like, that's their own problem and their own ignorance that they can't think for themselves.

Last edited by sxrckr; 08-20-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM

374 posts, read 982,789 times
Lets face it. The point of all these postings is to attack Rick Perry because he is a SERIOUS THREAT to the liberal (communist) agenda. This is the same thing that happened to Scott Walker in Wisconsin. I'd bet that at least half the attack postings are shills from the DNC using multiple aliases. That was the case in WI.

Perry running for POTUS brought them out like stepping into a fire ant mound but the libs are more vicious.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Actually, on the contrary, threads like this always bring out all the Texas chest-thumping chauvinists.

Texas, much like too much of America, thinks it's exceptional and has nothing to learn from the rest of the world.

Keep your heads in the sand (or wherever it is you typically stick them).

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
It's not jealousy. Bush the younger and Perry both come off as crude, poorly "educmacated" rednecks and put a lot of people off, as well as creating a bad image of the state. Years ago during Bush's governorship, a girl in Toronto said to me in perfect seriousness that Texas "sounds scary" -- I suspect because of its much publicised promiscuous rate of executions under Bush. Think of the old image of the "ugly American" abroad and that pretty much captures the image of the "ugly Texan". Wake up. Not everyone thinks you are hot sh-t on a silver platter; instead, many people view you as stinky turds on a paper plate.
That's just east coast elitism. You wear it well.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Are you embarrassed by the Governor and now he wants to run for president? How come you always pick these lousy embarassing governors? You are a big state, you have some smarter surely. Do you feel embarrassed right now?
Yeah, but if we had our 'elitists' running the state, the state would be in the same sick situation as the rest of the country. You know, the place where Texas gets its transplants.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
That's just east coast elitism. You wear it well.

Felt the same way when I lived in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas