Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:20 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,010,396 times

Advertisements

Oh, and another thing on this Texas-hate and jealousy....

They look at a place like Houston and just can't stand it that cowboys with accents, tatted-up Montrose folk, Christians, Muslims, Buddists, straights, gays (with a lesbian mayor to boot) all live in relative HARMONY in a highly successful, growing metro. I mean, you've got Joel Osteen and the like, one of the largest Pride celebrations in the country, the largest Livestock show & Rodeo in the country, and probably one of the largest Muslim populations in the country all RIGHT THERE, relatively integrated in the metro, and they all manage to co-exist. In Texas! What a thought!

The people on the coasts who want to think of Texas as a backward craphole just CAN'T STAND THIS....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,921,473 times
Let me remind you that Texas' "sodomy" law would still be on the books if the SCOTUS hadn't thrown it out. You've got Rethuglicans in the state leg trying to pass new anti-gay laws and there is absolutely no hope that Texas will pass same-sex civil union legislation, much less marriage equality. The state government speaks much louder than what goes on in the more progressive urban areas.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Spoiler
It's not jealousy. Bush the younger and Perry both come off as crude, poorly "educmacated" rednecks and put a lot of people off, as well as creating a bad image of the state.
Years ago during Bush's governorship, a girl in Toronto said to me in perfect seriousness that Texas "sounds scary" -- I suspect because of its much publicised promiscuous rate of executions under Bush.
Spoiler
Think of the old image of the "ugly American" abroad and that pretty much captures the image of the "ugly Texan". Wake up. Not everyone thinks you are hot sh-t on a silver platter; instead, many people view you as stinky turds on a paper plate.
I'm sorry to see the need to include Bush bashing as a criteria for judging Texas. The legal system in Texas doesn't really give the Governor that much influence in executions...

Why is Texas #1 in Executions? | Death Penalty Information Center
Quote:
Texas gives the bulk of clemency power to its Board of Pardons and Paroles and not to the governor. Indeed, the Board must vote to recommend commutation in order for the governor to grant clemency.
The really scary thing is not the rednecks, but the ignorance and lack of inclination to research. Google > legal Texas executions < Two minutes that can change your world.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:35 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
Quote:
Let me remind you that Texas' "sodomy" law would still be on the books if the SCOTUS hadn't thrown it out. You've got Rethuglicans in the state leg trying to pass new anti-gay laws and there is absolutely no hope that Texas will pass same-sex civil union legislation, much less marriage equality. The state government speaks much louder than what goes on in the more progressive urban areas.
Do remember... That state constitution with those sodomy laws was written by Democrats (you know, like Rick Perry, when he was an Al Gore supporter), long before those Rethuglicans gained influence in the state.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM

334 posts, read 484,436 times
for all of you who 'researched' my history to find I am on west coast (and then infer that I am elitist or whatever)...why not read my posts? yes, here is one for your enjoyment! enjoying the new entertainement provided by the gov of ur wonderful state! here the quote...

One thing I truly miss about texas, the people. Very open and friendly, not passive aggressive certainly not like here. The people are more open.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 AM

334 posts, read 484,436 times
btw, do they teach evolution in tejas? thank you for any inputs

Old 08-20-2011, 11:52 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,921,473 times
So some reactionary southern democrats defected to the rethugs. In any event, it's the Republicans in the state leg that have been bringing forth reactionary legislation ever since they gained ascendency. Warren Chisum would be exemplary of their ilk.

The governor in Texas is able to make a recommendation to the Board of Pardons and Parole. Moreover, the governor sets the tone for a lot of things that go on in the state and s/he certainly is able to ask for and develop legislative initiatives. Regardless of how you assess responsibility, executions went through the roof under Bush, and Perry has been equally unwilling to make any effort to stop the executions of mentally retarded offenders and foreign nationals who were deprived assistance of their own governments, as guaranteed by international treaty obligations.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
It's not jealousy. Bush the younger and Perry both come off as crude, poorly "educmacated" rednecks and put a lot of people off, as well as creating a bad image of the state. Years ago during Bush's governorship, a girl in Toronto said to me in perfect seriousness that Texas "sounds scary" -- I suspect because of its much publicised promiscuous rate of executions under Bush. Think of the old image of the "ugly American" abroad and that pretty much captures the image of the "ugly Texan". Wake up. Not everyone thinks you are hot sh-t on a silver platter; instead, many people view you as stinky turds on a paper plate.
Why do you even care what others think of Texas? ESPECIALLY Canadians, East and West Coasters?!? If you are so ashamed of being a native Texan, just don't tell anybody!

Given that Texas is now at 25 million and counting....if Texas is so terrible politically, why are so many coming? Because Texas has jobs, a business-friendly environment....and is apparently doing something right, even if it has many of the same problems that other states do.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Are you embarrassed by the Governor and now he wants to run for president? How come you always pick these lousy embarassing governors? You are a big state, you have some smarter surely. Do you feel embarrassed right now?
Yes, I am embarrassed that Texas has once again elected a right wing extremists for governor, and a dumb one at that.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:32 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,736,411 times
Quote:
I'm getting to the point that I don't like to reveal my Texas origins because I've learned increasingly that Texas is badly viewed by many people outside the state, and Perry is only going to further exacerbate this, as did G W Bush.
It is apparent you have the upmost dislain for Texas and yet you keep coming back to read and post your views on all of her (in your eyes) shortcomings and atrocities. Why? Surely your atttraction with Texas has faded completely in the knowledge of everything you state that is wrong here. And yet........you never fail to show up with always a negative view every chance you get.

I think you believe you are an ultra being in superiority, but actually it shows you off an another Texas basher, which in truth boils down to inferior jealousy. You choose to live in Delaware and so be it. Who am I to belittle your state and your life choices? Why can't you do the same? Constant put downs tend to grow old quickly and are very rarely taken seriously, so it's a futile effort on your part.

I would suggust living life the fullest in Delaware and stop dwelling over the inferior Texans and their lifestyles that you so abhor. It's not healthy for you. If I felt about Texas like you did, I'd live outside the state too and I'd also hide in the very back recesses of mind any affiliation with the state for sure!No sense in you saying you're getting to the point that you don't like to reveal my Texas origins because you've learned increasingly that Texas is badly viewed by many people outside the state, just take the plunge and do it!

As far as I'm concerned about being embarassed by Perry, I think you'll find most Texans tend to have more loyalty and pride than I've seen in some of the other states. It's like talking about a family member and you might say whatever you please, but let an outsider step in and repeat the exact thing you just said and the fight is on. In other words, you can say what you want about your sister/brother, etc., but if you're an outsider, you better watch your mouth. Same with Texas, we might fight and quarrel and say things about each other, but the majority of us will not run down our own with strangers nor do we take much bunk with questions as the one that started this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas